Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-21, 02:39 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I have 5-6 novels that I've picked up at used book sales, so I went through them to pick out my next one. Unfortunately, they are all thriller types (which I enjoy) but all focused on suicide and murder. I like those kinds of books, but I am having a tough time at my job right now (which many of you know is in mental health - I'm a psychologist seeing students for therapy at a college counseling center), and I just can't see reading anything I currently have.

So, I need some recommendations for more light, uplifting, positive novels (or authors who write same). Give me some ideas and I will check to see what my library system has. Thank you!
Beth, I used to read a lot of mysteries, psychological suspense and literary fiction. I've definitely gone to the lighter side in reading over the last 5 to 10 years. I don't need books to be all sweetness and light but not too much in the current storyline that's hard for the characters and everything seeming like a logical occurrence in their lives. I like to feel everyone is in a good or at least OK place at the end. And I'm picky about the quality of the writing. Here are some books I liked.

Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson
Erica Baumeister - her 2-book series The School of Essential Ingredients and The Lost Art of Mixing. Also Joy For Beginners
A Week in Winter by Marcia Willett. A couple of tough things happen but they make perfect sense to me and I really like where the characters ended up.
Anything by Barbara Pym. Hers are slices of lives of women written in the 60s and 70s. Little plot, lots of character.
800 Grapes by Laura Dave. Also was OK with Hello, Sunshine, though not as good. Haven't read The Last Thing He Told Me yet. Hers are more on the edge of pop fiction but the writing was good enough.

A couple of memoirs that sound like they would be downers but I found very positive and not hard to read are Stir by Jessics Fechtor and The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey. Both about getting through major health incidents. They might appeal to the psychologist, if she doesn't need a break from the inside of people's heads.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 03:20 PM  
DD546

I just finished "The Last Night in London" by Karen White. I generally like her books. This is a dual time line moving between past and present. Although I liked the book; I didn't love it. I figured things out pretty early on. Also, while I was reading it I kept thinking that the plot was much like "The Secret Keeper" by Kate Morton. In my estimation that is the superior book.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 12:03 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 01:50 PM  
BunnyHop

I read "Everything All at Once" by Katrina Leno the other day. YA, but a thoughtful read. Dealing with grief is part of it, but so is building a new life. Nicely affirming.
Old 11-15-21, 03:47 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
I read that for my book club several years ago. We all enjoyed it & it definitely was thought provoking. It generated a lot of discussion.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 08:26 PM  
rhbrand

Just started Atomic Habits by James Clear I've heard very good things about this book and I hope it helps me with a few things I want to make into a habit, like working my fitness planner every day and meal planning.
Old 11-16-21, 01:04 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Just started Atomic Habits by James Clear I've heard very good things about this book and I hope it helps me with a few things I want to make into a habit, like working my fitness planner every day and meal planning.
It's a good book - hope you like it! I just borrowed "Tiny Habits" from the library. Supposedly it picks up where Atomic Habits ends...we'll see!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 12:30 PM  
rhbrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
It's a good book - hope you like it! I just borrowed "Tiny Habits" from the library. Supposedly it picks up where Atomic Habits ends...we'll see!

Erica
Oh, I'd be interested in how that one ends up being.
Old 11-16-21, 02:20 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
My club also read this. It was very thought provoking.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 04:53 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I read that for my book club several years ago. We all enjoyed it & it definitely was thought provoking. It generated a lot of discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
My club also read this. It was very thought provoking.
Pam and Pat, I'm enjoying Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Did you go on to read the 2 other books in this trilogy?

Edit to add: Agh! Why do I get my library holds all at once?
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading