Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-22, 02:25 PM  
edensmom

For those that combine workout programs

Please tell me about your experience! I've seen people say they combine programs or maybe exercise modalities in different ways and I'm curious about what that looks like and what your results were.

Currently I am doing a more cardio based plan that has 2-3 days of circuit training per week and 3-4 days of cardio. I have gained about 30 lbs in the past 4 yrs, with nearly 20 in the past year alone and I'd really like to lose that weight. At this time in my life I find that I NEED cardio to make that happen. In general I prefer strength training to cardio workouts but I also prefer my clothes to fit! I am having some success with all the cardio and some diet changes but I miss my weights workouts. I was thinking to alternate week perhaps? So one week cardio heavy: 3 to 4 cardio and 2 circuits; next week 4 weights and one cardio??

I am also concerned that to be working opposite goals I could be spinning my wheels. I am not necessarily looking to GAIN muscle as I have a good bit but I'd like to preserve it and I enjoy it. As I said the main goal is fat loss. I have another 17+ lbs to go so that will take months. Not sure I want to go months with such minimal weight training. But I don't want to be wasting my time either.

Thoughts??

Last edited by edensmom; 04-05-22 at 02:28 PM. Reason: more info
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 07:20 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I gained 35 lbs in the past 4 years (perimenopause) and thought if I increased my workout time that the weight would come off. Just left me with injuries. I only gained more weight by doing more.

The only thing that's worked for me is tracking calories/macros and sticking with a calorie deficit. Since we can't talk diet here, I won't get into it but I just eat really nutrient dense foods now and stick to my daily calories/macros. I also lowered my workouts in both time and intensity. I have now lost nearly 20 pounds since October.

I do moderate workouts for about 30 mins with a 20 min CS stretch five days a week and two 45 min total body weight workout a week (mostly Cathe or Tracie Long). Most of the moderate days are just walking with Leslie or Jessica, or an Ellen workout. Easing up on the cardio was key for me since I'm not ravenous or exhausted anymore. The weight workouts are total body and I put enough rest time in between them with the other moderate workouts that I'm not stressing my body too much.

I pretty much follow Pahla B's advice (except her workouts).
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 08:17 PM  
edensmom

Lori, thanks for your response. I've been counting macros (off and on, not continuously) for about 8 years. I've seen your posts and your story resonated with me quite a bit. It has been SO difficult to make ANY progress even with a super strict diet and logging every single thing. Thankfully I seem to be making some headway the last few weeks.

In August I developed a pretty wicked case of plantar fasciitis that has finally improved after 7 months. I decided to give moderate workouts a try. I switched to shorter, low impact intermediate workouts, more rest days. During that time (7ish months) I gained another 10 lbs, all while logging my food/counting macros. So it's safe to say lowering the intensity isn't what my body is looking for. When I began upping my cardio to strength ratio a few weeks ago, I FINALLY began to see the scale move.

I'm hoping to hear from people that combined programs and alternate them or switch up the weekly focus of their workouts. Anyone?
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 09:44 PM  
bfit

I am not trying to lose weight so perhaps my plan won't be helpful here. I do cardio every day like walking, swimming, or biking. Then I follow that with something that is toning focused but with possibly a little cardio benefit. I have a "rotation" where I do upper body one day, lower body the next, core/abs the next, Pilates/barre/yoga the next, and then something total body the next, and I just keep the 5 things moving in that pattern. I take one day a week off unless I'm sick or injured or it's just impossible to exercise. I combine from all kinds of programs including Fe Fit, Cathe F, Jessica Smith, and so on.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 10:02 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I kind of miss the days when I'd do a CS episode, short weigh workout, and walk. It was simple. For the weight workouts, I'd alternate upper body, lower body, and full body and just pick short workouts. I teach a lot of Essentrics right now...which I love...but need to get my weights in.

I'm somebody that has never been able to lose weight without changing my four letter word starting with "D". And, I am well into perimenopause hopefully in full on menopause soon (I am going to be 55 this summer). Gone are the days that I can eat whatever I want.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 12:38 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

It does seem like once your body gets used to a certain weight, it hangs onto it tenaciously unless you change the d word.

I also think that it's hard to build muscle when you reduce your food intake. Sleep is another part of the equation.

I try to eat fairly well and perform exercises I enjoy and let my weight settle where it wants to. I wish it was lower, but there you go.
Old 04-06-22, 03:09 AM  
IceQueen07

It wasn't until I started tracking macros in January, backed off the cardio and started doing more weight workouts (3x a time) that the weight and inches started dropping. I always thought that cardio was the answer, but I am learning that it isn't. I combine now walking, weights and flexibility weekly along with tracking macros and find that works.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 06:12 AM  
Tugger31

I'm well into menopause (hit it early in my early 40s) and have also had plantar fasciitis going on almost a year now. I continued to gain weight due to mostly poor eating, though I definitely stopped moving as much. About 3 months ago, I had enough and committed myself to eating better and increasing my strength training since doing cardio just hurt. I lost about 7-9 lbs in a month and I was working out 30-40 minutes 4-5 days a week, mostly 4. I followed along Cathe's LITE workout rotation as far as the weights went and for cardio days I started riding my stationary bike on the "interval program" for only 15 minutes. As I got stronger I wanted longer workouts for strength so I started doing just the upper body workouts in STS, for lower body I did mostly Cathe's Boss Loop Glute and Core and some similar style workouts. It was the first time in a LONG time, even when I wasn't injured that I started seeing definition in my arms! I then started getting lazy with my diet, keeping my workouts the same and the weight started creeping up again and there went my definition. So I learned that diet is key and that I also don't have to beat my body up with painful cardio to see progress. Now I do cardio for fun and to sweat (though I'm still limited from my PF) and I'm loving gaining strength!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 09:12 AM  
Izzy

I don't dispute what works for others and I am always happy to hear when folks find their balance. I completely understand asking others for their thoughts, suggestions and feedback because that is how we gather insight and information. I don't think there is a "one size fits all" in terms of what works and what doesn't. Our bodies are all different with different muscle mass, physique, metabolism, age, stress and genic makeup. I truly believe that the word "should" not be applied to what works best for exercise, diet, work outs etc. I just believe we need to do what works best for us. What ever gets you up and moving each day and makes you feel good when you are done is my suggestion. In the end, you will find your balance and what works for you.
Old 04-06-22, 12:30 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
Lori, thanks for your response. I've been counting macros (off and on, not continuously) for about 8 years. I've seen your posts and your story resonated with me quite a bit. It has been SO difficult to make ANY progress even with a super strict diet and logging every single thing. Thankfully I seem to be making some headway the last few weeks.

In August I developed a pretty wicked case of plantar fasciitis that has finally improved after 7 months. I decided to give moderate workouts a try. I switched to shorter, low impact intermediate workouts, more rest days. During that time (7ish months) I gained another 10 lbs, all while logging my food/counting macros. So it's safe to say lowering the intensity isn't what my body is looking for. When I began upping my cardio to strength ratio a few weeks ago, I FINALLY began to see the scale move.

I'm hoping to hear from people that combined programs and alternate them or switch up the weekly focus of their workouts. Anyone?
Re: macros/tracking -- I'd been loosely tracking macros on/off for a couple years actually and still gaining, all while working out pretty intensely. Gained and gained. I consulted with Susan Niebergall (http://susanniebergallfitness.com/ after I read her book "Fit At Any Age". She flat out told me that I just didn't have a large enough calorie deficit even though I thought I was doing all the right things but still gaining weight. She's 64 and helped me see that I needed more recovery time between weight work since my body just seemed to be going in the opposite direction than I wanted. Once I dialed in to the right calorie deficit (which was more than I thought), I started to lose. Her mantra is consistency over time with everything. But like everyone else has said, you've got to do what works for you. This is solely what finally is working for me.

Re: switching up weekly focus -- I actually do this all the time. Some weeks are heavier weights, some are lighter, some are just metabolic, some are circuits, some are just fusion, some are bands and bodyweight, some are a little more cardio based. *But* I don't change how many days I do moderate (five) and how many are heavier (two). I tend to do weight workouts on Tuesdays and Fridays with the rest of week just moderate or light. Most of my moderate days are just 30 mins now, sometimes with a CS stretch after. But I don't go over 45 mins total anymore with anything. That keeps me from becoming ravenous and avoiding injuries.

Hoping you'll find what works for you!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise routines, oprah bootcamp, rotations, sparks