Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-22, 01:11 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Has anyone ever used a nutrition coach?

I know we can't talk specifics about diet but I was wondering if anyone had ever used a nutrition coach? Apparently even though I know what I need to do, how to eat nutritiously, count macros (if that's the way I end up going) etc I can't seem to get my s&#* together. I thought maybe if I had some accountability to someone (other than me) it might help motivate?? Any tips would be appreciated. If need be, you can PM me
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-22, 02:20 PM  
bubbles76

I've seen a dietician, not sure if that's the same thing.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-22, 02:47 PM  
leigh1673

I never have, but if you decide to go that route, my recommendation would be to check their accreditation before paying them any money.

There are some MLMs, in which anyone who "signs up" to be part of their company can call themselves a nutrition coach or nutrition counselor. Needless to say, they do not have the credentials!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-22, 04:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

You might also inquire with your health plan if they have nutrition programs. if you meet their criteria, you might qualify for services and also get it covered.

two of my friends did and they had great success.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-22, 05:10 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
I never have, but if you decide to go that route, my recommendation would be to check their accreditation before paying them any money.

There are some MLMs, in which anyone who "signs up" to be part of their company can call themselves a nutrition coach or nutrition counselor. Needless to say, they do not have the credentials!
So true!
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-22, 07:54 PM  
Hsim

My situation is somewhat similar. Even though I know what to do I am still prone to eating out too much and having a few glasses of wine.

I decided to try Noom last month and I think it's pretty good. The emphasis is on eating well and using psychology. You are also assigned a group coach. At $50 a month it may be a little less expensive than using a dietician.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-22, 10:15 PM  
laurawd

I have used several. Some were better than others. Do you have specific questions?
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-22, 11:41 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

There is a popular Twin Cities dietitian who left the field because the American Dietitian Association didn't reflect and support the current science for healthy lifestyle and eating.

Really it depends on your goals. A lot of the clinical dieticians continue to promote low fat, food pyramid style eating. Some promote point style aka weight Watchers type of eating.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 06:25 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post

And be discerning about credentials. I knew a woman who had nutritional accreditation through either ACE or IDEA, but she was thoroughly convinced there was ONE diet for everyone. When I ventured to suggest that my own nutritional needs had changed as I had aged, she refused to entertain the idea.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 09:09 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
And be discerning about credentials. I knew a woman who had nutritional accreditation through either ACE or IDEA, but she was thoroughly convinced there was ONE diet for everyone. When I ventured to suggest that my own nutritional needs had changed as I had aged, she refused to entertain the idea.
It's frustrating.

Personally, I have had better luck in the past with seeing a functional medicine practitioner or similar. Someone who knows there's no "one size fits all" and will look at the individual for food sensitivities, etc.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nutrition, nutrition tracking