Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-13, 01:06 PM  
LauraBella

Only a videot (a Mover's saga)....

I'm packing up my apartment.... Will be staying with my parents for a bit then, off to Italy. Then...back to the semester's grind and searching for a new apartment/house/home in February.

And I'm running across dilemmas that I believe only YOU and I and Other Videots can comprehend....

First, how many DVDs to squeeze into Mom's and how many to "store?"
What equipment goes to Mom's? What stores?
What if I pack up something and WANT IT later?
HOW do I protect my vids?

So far I've relinquished one medium sized box worth of DVDs for storage. And they are double boxed. Inside shoe boxes with my regular box. And labeled fragile.

3/4 of my dvds and almost all my small equipment will be going under-bed at Mom's. Taking the Fanny Lifter. Storing the Transfirmer (and transfirmer DVDs). Taking the Barre DVDs, storing my beloved Fluidity barre (that was hard!).

But what about yoga blocks? Keep or go? What if I have a wild urge to do a DVD that needs them? How many weights to store? Various sizes and shapes of balls....store how many...?

Will my stuff be okay without me, lol? What if someone ignores the "fragile" markings?

O, the choices!!!!
Old 10-30-13, 12:42 PM  
PrairieGem

Two things happen when I pack things up:

1.) I never, ever unpack the box. Ten years ago we thought we were going to move, so in preparation I packed up all of our knicknacks (candlesticks, wedding gifts, etc). We didn't move, and just got new knicknacks. I really should unpack those boxes sometime...

Or...

2.) I will need what I packed up almost immediately. The solution to this is to have things easily accessible (like your underbed boxes). This happens to me all the time when I pack up/clean up my office/craft room. It can be an unholy mess in there for weeks, and I'll never need anything, but as soon as I clean it up and put everything away... I need the thing on the top shelf, under that other box, way in the back beneath the pile of.... Yeah.

When I travel and am tempted to overpack, I have to remind myself that I am usually going somewhere civilized, and will be able to buy or borrow small items I didn't bring with me! Inevitably, I will need to do so. But if I bring things, I never end up using them! So: if you bring your yoga blocks, you won't need them. Leave them at home, and you will. Like an umbrella. LOL

Have a fantastic trip!!
Old 10-30-13, 09:51 PM  
LauraBella

Exactly!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Two things happen when I pack things up:

1.) I never, ever unpack the box. Ten years ago we thought we were going to move, so in preparation I packed up all of our knicknacks (candlesticks, wedding gifts, etc). We didn't move, and just got new knicknacks. I really should unpack those boxes sometime...

Or...

2.) I will need what I packed up almost immediately. The solution to this is to have things easily accessible (like your underbed boxes). This happens to me all the time when I pack up/clean up my office/craft room. It can be an unholy mess in there for weeks, and I'll never need anything, but as soon as I clean it up and put everything away... I need the thing on the top shelf, under that other box, way in the back beneath the pile of.... Yeah.

When I travel and am tempted to overpack, I have to remind myself that I am usually going somewhere civilized, and will be able to buy or borrow small items I didn't bring with me! Inevitably, I will need to do so. But if I bring things, I never end up using them! So: if you bring your yoga blocks, you won't need them. Leave them at home, and you will. Like an umbrella. LOL

Have a fantastic trip!!
Old 10-30-13, 09:53 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Don't bring the yoga block. You can totally improvise if you need to.

Sounds exciting!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 10:17 PM  
LauraBella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Don't bring the yoga block. You can totally improvise if you need to.

Sounds exciting!
I've packed the blocks for storage. And the exercise ball. Still unsure about a lot of the small balls and such. Too many decisions.

As for Italy, I'd love to rip some onto my computer and just take NO actual DVDs. I have to get an external disc drive first, though. Bah.

Tons of DVDs, though, shall be going as far as Mom's.
Old 10-31-13, 05:11 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I lived in Europe for five years (99-04) and brought my fave videos on VHS. I just bought whatever equipment I needed there (dumbbells and a step and bequeathed them to a friend when I moved back.) But that was before I discovered VF and my collection mushroomed! I feel for you... it's like deciding which of your kids to take with you.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 05:19 AM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBella View Post
I've packed the blocks for storage. And the exercise ball. Still unsure about a lot of the small balls and such. Too many decisions.

As for Italy, I'd love to rip some onto my computer and just take NO actual DVDs. I have to get an external disc drive first, though. Bah.

Tons of DVDs, though, shall be going as far as Mom's.
Why don't you just upload to the cloud or put yhem on youtube as private videos? I do both of those things and have workouts easily accessible.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-13, 12:23 PM  
LauraBella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
Why don't you just upload to the cloud or put yhem on youtube as private videos? I do both of those things and have workouts easily accessible.
Well, at the moment, I have about 9 days to pack and no disc drive. So...I will def be dragging things to mom's. However, that's a thought before I travel. Someone techie should help me....