Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-21, 05:31 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

The Firm workouts-no box work??

So, I just re-started the Firm at age 47. The Volumes with the step up box are hurting my knees. I reduced it down to a 6" but they still hurt afterwards. So, I am wondering if I should just do volumes 1 and 2. Or....Has anyone ever had success with The Firm classics without using any step up box? Is it possible to just walk in place and do the movements? I am not sure if that would even work or how that would look. Just thought I would ask to see if it is worth it to try or if I shouldn't bother. Hoping someone has some experience with this! Thank you!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 05:47 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes, doing 1 & 2 are box-free.

you can do the others without a box/step.

when i was pregnant, i used the top of a step co. step without risers to do all tall-box work. the targeted muscle is the "thut" area. so if you go without a box/step, you can do lunges but contract the thut as much as possible.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 05:53 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

I feel your pain! I’’m 53 and restarted the Firm about a month ago. I do use the box still, but modify down so that I use the blue portion alone for the leg press and the purple portion for step. My knees seem fine with that for now but I’m curious to hear what others might do as I’m sure the day will come when I can’t do those anymore! I also modify some of the high impact too, marching with high knees instead of running, etc. I would have hated to modify like this back in the day but I’m totally fine with it now and still get a great workout.
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 06:41 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Another one who uses a lower box. I use 6 inch for step and 10 inches for tall box work. I used to use 14 inches, then dropped to 12, now I am at 10. This is a good height for me and who knows maybe it will go even lower one day. I think back to some Firm videos where taller exercisers were encouraged to use 17 inch boxes, that seems way too high to me.

For step, I have never used higher than 6 inches, well maybe once I used 8 and it was just too much. 6 is much better, who knows maybe I will go down to 4 one day.

Make it work for you, use whatever height you are comfortable with. If your form is good you will be fine.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 06:41 AM  
Carol K

I'm 63 and 5'1". I used to use the 12" box for leg press and tall box climb, but now I need hold a dowel in one hand for leg press with just one dumbbell in the other hand, and for that I can use 14". For tall box climb, I use the 8" box. I still use all the FIRMs, but I really enjoy the newer workouts that don't use a step.
Old 03-09-21, 08:06 AM  
fanofladyvols

Here are some of my modifications:

Stay on the box, but lower height, and toe tap out to front, side and rear with slightly bent standing leg.

Stay on the floor, keep box height but fiercely tense abs, glute and quad of moving leg and push/spring toe only on step. Your body weight is in standing leg and you will not follow their rep speed. It will be about half time. This is my favorite way.

Substitute in front, side and rear lunges on the floor (no weights).

And if at all possible, add some ankle, and hip mobility as well as some knee strengthening to your off days. Knee achiness may be either parts of your body asking for some extra TLC.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 03:56 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Thank you, everyone, for your comments! I definitely will not go higher than 6" with my step up box!

Fanofladyvols- I will try your suggestions. Thanks!
Old 03-09-21, 04:03 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

if you have access to a ramp (ala Leslie, Gin Miller) or the Firm Wave, this is another great option. slanted risers is also another option.

ramps serve as "variable" steps that match the height you want to step up to. i found the Firm wave at a thrift store for $8, and i use it so much, it has a permanent place near the TV. you can lunge on it or step all the way up.

the Firm TF has a slant option, but the distance between the floor and the TF in incline mode is at least 6".

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 04:06 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
if you have access to a ramp (ala Leslie, Gin Miller) or the Firm Wave, this is another great option. slanted risers is also another option.

ramps serve as "variable" steps that match the height you want to step up to. i found the Firm wave at a thrift store for $8, and i use it so much, it has a permanent place near the TV. you can lunge on it or step all the way up.

the Firm TF has a slant option, but the distance between the floor and the TF in incline mode is at least 6".
I can see if I can find a wave on eBay...thanks!
Old 03-10-21, 09:06 AM  
TinaT

I believe Bust & Butt has no tall box work in it. I haven't done it in quite a while, but I remember it being one I'd pick if I needed a break from tall box work.

I modify the heck out of my Firms. I have a questionable right knee and it dictates what I do for exercise each day. There are days I will do Volume 4 without even the short step and just do the box pattern on the floor with Kai. Other days I do a couple of box segments of whatever Firm workout I've chosen. I haven't used the blue/purple step together in years. Just the blue for tall box.

Make it what you want and keep moving.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chantal donnelly, firm tall box, knee pain, knee pain cure, revisiting the firm, strong knees, tall box, the firm