Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-21, 06:07 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I wish Amazon had the "See Inside" function for this book. I'd like to see a Table of Contents, at the very least. Maybe my local bookstore has it in stock.

It sounds interesting, but I've been burned before with books on menopause. (Christiane Northrup? Sorry, but she and I just didn't jive!) Therefore, I'd like to see more before shelling out $15.00.

Donna
I ordered it from our library. Is that an option for you?

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 06:24 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I put a hold on a copy at my library, great idea!!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 08:59 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I've really been enjoying her podcast Body Stuff. Very informative and entertaining. She debunks a lot of commonly held medical / health myths, such as why we don't need 8 glasses of water a day. (A myth perpetuated by the sports drinks and bottled water companies).

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 09:32 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I ordered it from our library. Is that an option for you?

Erica
Thanks, but alas, I don't have access to a public library (I live in a tiny town!), but I think I can use the community college library or the university library in a nearby town. I am an alumni and retiree of the university, so that's why I can do that. I don't know, though. It's kind of a hassle. I will think about it.

Donna
Old 06-08-21, 09:56 PM  
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I'm now 7 years post menopause and can clearly distinguish between my menopausal suffering and how my body is aging.
Demeris, fanofladyvols and any others who have this experience - if you'd be willing to share your experience and what you've been able to distinguish, I would find it extremely helpful.

Menopause is treated like this shameful secret thing in our society. I'd like to empower each other.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 06:47 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
Demeris, fanofladyvols and any others who have this experience - if you'd be willing to share your experience and what you've been able to distinguish, I would find it extremely helpful.

Menopause is treated like this shameful secret thing in our society. I'd like to empower each other.
I shared upthread most of my peri/menopausal symptoms. I implied a couple of the aging--having to be uber-conscious of what and how much I eat; having to be uber-conscious of not pushing myself physically two days in a row. I also do lots of rehab for my knees and back because those joints get far more tetchy now than before menopause (I have had bad knees since my 30's). The most concerning aging symptom is my crepe-y skin, but my boobs are sagging, and my jowls are sagging, and my wattle is sagging. I have to cook all of my vegetables, and my digestion has a timetable of its own and chooses to change it without informing me. I've developed a couple of food allergies that aren't life threatening but which put a damper on my choices. All in all, I am lucky I don't have other, more debilitating, aging issues right now.

Something I didn't mention upthread were the hot flashes. The year I was 54, I lived in what seemed like a non-stop hot flash. When they subsided (meaning that now I only had one or two a day), my periods got all whopper-jawed. I would have two or three months between periods, and when those perids came, they were Biblical.

I still have what might be a hot flash a couple of times a week. Early in the morning, when I wake up, I have to throw all the covers off me, and I can feel a little sweat at my neck.

Last edited by Demeris; 06-09-21 at 07:41 AM. Reason: to add info
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 07:12 AM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I wish I could take bioidenticals, but I have a genetic blood clotting disorder and I can't take any sort of hormone, not even bioidenticals. Just grin and bear it for me.
Ditto for me

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 09:08 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Thanks, Demeris, for sharing your experiences. I really appreciate hearing what everyone else is going through/or has gone through. It helps to not feel so alone in this. My primary doctor is pretty helpful, but since I can't be on HRT, there isn't much he can do for me, but at least he has a sympathetic ear. My gyno, who is in her mid-60s, on the other hand, is completely useless. When I saw her last summer, I said how much I struggle every day with this weight gain and all my other issues. She actually said to me "Oh you're too young for menopause, you're only 46! Talk to me when you're 56!" and then she just left the exam room! I'm not going back to her this summer only to hear that I'm still too young at 47...

I really only have my mom's experience, which was nothing at all. She turned 45 and just stopped having periods. No weight gain. No hot flashes. No anxiety. She barely remembers it now. My aunts were all in their 50s and had a wide range of experiences, but nothing quite as awful as my past 3 years.

So needless to say, I really appreciate hearing absolutely anything from anyone who is willing to share!

Also, fatkat555, frogribbit, IceQueen07, and any others who can't or won't take HRT, thanks for sharing that. I feel hopeless a lot knowing that there's nothing that I can take that will help but at least knowing there are others like me out there makes me feel less alone.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 10:06 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Thanks, but alas, I don't have access to a public library (I live in a tiny town!), but I think I can use the community college library or the university library in a nearby town. I am an alumni and retiree of the university, so that's why I can do that. I don't know, though. It's kind of a hassle. I will think about it.

Donna
On both Apple Books and Amazon, you can download and read the first 2 chapters. It gives an idea of her style (Not for everyone, there are cuss words) and there's a lot of basic info and diagrams in those chapters alone.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 11:33 AM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I just finished listening to Dr. Jen Gunter's latest episode called Is Drinking Milk Essential for Building Strong Bones?

The take away message is that the single most important thing we can do to build strong bones is to exercise, and in particular to weight train, and to do it to the point that we are pushing our limits at least a little bit. We all already know that here at VF, but it was nice to have it reinforced.

I look forward to hearing more episodes.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, gall bladder, jen gunter, menopause