Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-17, 12:11 PM  
Kesal

MommaStrong - Courtney Wyckoff

I’ve been on and off (mostly off) the workout wagon since my daughter was born (3 years ago). And I’ve been REALLY off since we moved in August and haven’t yet set up the DVD player. So I was in the market for something time efficient and streaming… and I found it.

I’ve been working out regularly for the past month using the MommaStrong programs. The premise is 15 minutes of functional fitness/rehab style exercises in an interval format (she advocates HIIT training, but the "HI" level varies depending on which program you're following) followed by about 5 minutes of stretching. The instructor, Courntey Wyckoff, produces new workouts daily and the website hosts some collections of past workouts. As you’d probably guess from the name, the target audience is women dealing with postpartum issues like diastisis recti or pelvic prolapse, wonky shoulders from carrying 30 lb toddlers, etc. Or just the entirely new level of not-having-time that you have to adjust to with youngish kids (there’s also a prenatal program that I haven’t investigated). One of the core themes is “Winning Ugly,” i.e., managing to show up regardless of what’s getting in your way.

They’re not the sort of workouts with music, fancy sets, etc., but for me Courtney’s attitude (upbeat and encouraging in a wry, sarcastic sort of way – not at all sappy), the workout length, and applicability to my current stage of life, make up for it. The simplicity of the production also means that I can do the workout effectively from my phone screen when necessary. There seems to be a lot of depth to the programs – I’ve barely scratched the surface on the healing and low impact end of the spectrum. There are high impact options as well. Also, it’s a $2/month subscription.

I’m still getting the hang of it, so I came to good old VF to see what people were saying, and was surprised to find that the workouts haven’t hit the VF radar yet. So I figured I’d give the site a plug here. http://www.mommastrong.com/
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-17, 02:52 PM  
alisoncooks

This sounds very promising. I do wish I could find a short clip...but for $2 I may just try it.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
functional, postnatal, prenatal, rehab, streaming