Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-22-21, 06:21 AM  
Buzzer

rest day... done.
abs of steel... done about 1/2 of it.
cardio core 1... done about 15 minutes of it.

I apparently wasn't in the mood to workout. I took a rest day on Father's Day, since I woke up and DH was working on the garage at my workout time. I couldn't let him work on it while I went to workout, so I sat there and hung out with him instead.

Monday, I started abs of steel, thinking it was the step workout but it was the floor aerobics. Which is fine, I love that one! So I started, but I find that my squeaky floor annoys me and I avoid the areas with the squeaks. Since my workout area is small, I am avoiding the whole middle of the room. So that was annoying too, so I tried to dance over the squeaks. I finally got so annoyed I went inside, got whatever nails I could find (shorter nails for hanging pictures) and nailed them into the floor to hold the floor down and stop the squeak. It did OK, the squeak was quieter. I was trying to get back into it, when DH came in "were you hammering something?" I paused the workout and rehashed the story, which was annoying to do. He left, I was totally out of the workout, so I just canned that one. Donna seems very amateurish in this one anyhow, so since I was already annoyed she was more amateurish!

I put in core cardio, which was good, but at that point I was totally out of the workout and cranky and done. So I skipped it and beat myself up for taking a rest day then having a bad workout day. However, I am at the point that I workout becuase I enjoy it... obviously not because I get results. so if I wasn't enjoying it, I should just bag it for the day.

LB has vacation bible school this week, so we have to leave at 8:30am. I usually workout at 7, so if I want to get a workout in, I have to do it earlier. so that's been annoying too. Just overall, I am annoyed in the mornings and that doesn't help. Hopefully today I will get in a volume and make myself feel better!

I had my first finger physical therapy yesterday, and that was painful. She was massaging it and trying to get the swelling out, then ROM. I left on a wild goose chase for a lotion and some coband tape, which after 2 places visited I learned that sticky ace wrap is the same thing just with plain colors. I wish therapists and doctors would tell you the pedestrian name for things instead of the fancy name for things when they are requiring you to go out and buy it.

So today will be a better day. I have icing and heating and lotion and exercises now to do twice a day. I am hoping to be on a good road soon! I don't think I told you guys, however when I visited my Doctor on Friday, they re x-rayed my finger to see if I damaged it hitting the headboard in my sleep, and the bone is "still the same" as it was before. So no further damage. However, she did some tests and I sprained a ligament. So I sprained my broken finger Talents for sure!!

Eventmom: we spent yesterday in the low 70s and some 50's. It was so nice! I love it! DH and LB complained about the "cold". I told them this is chilly, not cold!! Today is supposed to be in the 80s again, so they will be happier (eye roll). We usually are more drought, however this year we have been getting some afternoon storms. There was a lightning fire in the park near us, about a mile away. It was only about an acre, however it started on Saturday, they got it out, then it reflared up on Sunday. I think the park is still closed as they monitor it. So no drought, but fire danger!

I think I am tired of trying to figure out the eating thing too. I have a new referral from a friend for a natrapath, however I am weary. She does do biofeedback, which is good, however the expense my friend has put out is again, crazy. However she has 4 kids she brings there, so that could be why too. I dont know. I feel like I need to do something. I'm tired of guessing, giving it a few months to see if it works, and nothing.

I've tried low carb, all the carbs, more water, supplements, sleeping more (I try!), more intense exercise, less intense exercise, adding muscle, doing ttapp (whatever that would be classified as)... all with no change. Well, except that I continue to gain weight. over the last year, I have refused desserts, cut down on snacking, watched LB and Dh eat ice cream while I smile and eat nothing, ordered healthier foods at restaurants instead of what I really want... and nothing. I am so frustrated. I know you are in the same boat! I think that's why I wrote it all out. I can see you there nodding. (probably you too, Ebianco!)

Sorry about the horse show. This year, although things are open, just feels kinda off. It's like a line between normal and not normal because of other influences. Just feels off.

Ebianco: I'm so glad you are back! I like Cathe, but could never say I love her. I have a lot of her workouts, but never really got into her. I think I love Cee-dee (I dont know how to spell her name) more than cathe. Personality thing again, I think! I need to do some of the cathes though. I remember there's one where she has your heels on an exercise ball, and you do hip raises until you die, then you do one legged ones until you are past death. it was so hard! I am always amazed at what that woman can do.

The bloat part is the worst. it used to be that I could eat crap, wake up the next day and exercise and the bloat would be gone. now, yup, it takes a few days to lose it. or in my case, a few years I watch people eating whatever they want and it drives me nuts I can't do that.

I am always amazed at how you can tell the Firms apart. I know them, I enjoy them, however I am not very good at remembering the titles of them. I have been doing the volumes for about 25 years, and I still dont know which is which! I know volume 1 and 2, but after that, I need to look them up. Don't even quiz me on the workouts with close names! HA! I can't do it. I try, I just can't keep them all straight! I know those 2 volumes, tortoise and hare, and super sculpting. Beyond that, they are all a big mess of workouts in my head. So when you mention Tracie in a certain outfit and add in all the common firm names "super" "sculpting", I am lost! HA! I may have fumbled the name for sure!

The calorie blaster I did was a step workout, with the incline step. It was fun! I love seeing Allie over the years. Last I looked her up she was really sinew-y, hopefully she has plumped back up. I think she looks better with some meat on her bones. (to put it a nice way in case anyone reading thinks I'm being mean).

Ok, off to drink coffee, ice my hand, and figure out what all I have to do. See ya guys!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 11:22 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yoga in the garden of serenity - my headache turned into a migraine last night and this was all I could handle.

buzzer - that is so frustrating! I haven't really gained but like you have pretty much given up treats, portioning my food for almost 3 years, workout consistently, trying to keep it moderate. so I'm sort of like, huh what now? But, I agree about at least do workouts you like!

hi ebianco!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 08:23 AM  
Buzzer

Firm volume 3 with Sandahl... DONE!

I love this workout. More cardio and legs, but she sneaks the arms in there so I always think "not much arms in this one" but then I realize, we did at least 3 sets for every muscle group. Lots of legs though! I was so tired. Ever had one of those workouts where you feel like your body isn't sweating? Even turning on the fan, all you do is get cool and still dont sweat. so you feel like your body is a closed box and no outlet for the heat and sweat. That's how I felt.

DH has needed to be awake at 4am this week, so at 4 on the nose my body wakes up and panics. "GO MAKE SURE DH IS AWAKE!" so I do. Then I am awake. Plus, LB started a movie at like 8:30pm, so we were up until 11, I went to bed at 11:25pm. So waking up at 4am was horrible. I seriously felt like I could fall asleep on the way to and from dropping off LB at VBS yesterday. So I ended up taking a nap from 9:30am until 11:10am while she was there.

So I think my problem working out yesterday was that it felt like it was the middle of the night. I was exhausted. More exhausted than I realized. I told DH and LB last night no movies, no staying up late. DH at 8:30, when he finally comes into the house from working since 4am (not only his regular job, but also going to the shop) "what movie are we watching?" I said tersely "NONE No staying up late!" Of course LB was hungry when I said it was time to go get ready for bed, so I went to bed and LB came in at 10:30 to go to bed. (we are still in the camper sleeping).

I slept so much better last night. No staying up late for me anymore! I dont care if that's the only time we get family time. I need to sleep!

So long story longer, I think my problem yesterday was that I was exhausted, so my body wasn't doing the workout well. I snacked all morning becuase I was so tired, my body was not just craving food, but ravenous for it. After the nap, it ws so much better. I did do the workout the best I could, and my legs are feeling it today. So three days in a row of no workout or bad workout. This has got to get better.

This morning I am skipping my workout in my workout room, and going for a walk after I drop off LB around the lake. It's 2/3 mile I believe, so I will do a few laps. It's supposed to be 80 degrees today, so hopefully it's pleasant and not crazy hot! After VBS we are meeting a friend at the splash pad. So a cooler day all around.

eventmom: ugh on the migraine! That's miserable. I dont know how you do that almost every day. I had a light headache yesterday on top of everything else, and I was miserable and snappy. We had 3 kids over that "I" was watching (LB did, she just played with them outside) and I just stayed inside in the quiet and cleaned the house. I can't imagine having to do anything else with a worse headache.

Hi Ebianco!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 06-23-21, 01:45 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

jacq umoff barre cardio

I skipped adding on cardio b/c she adds in cardio bursts and I wanted to ride. It's been cool for 2 days and my main horse has hives where the saddle would go so I rode my other horse and it will likely be the last time I ride her- she was 'good' but she is just not right about things like walking or walking down a slope. but at least I got on a horse!

buzzer - volume 3 was my first firm and one of the ones I kept. so sorry about your family sleep schedule I'd have to skip movies to get up at 4. We usually stream a one hour (which is more like 45min) and a short comedy (usually really 25 min) and that is all I have time for and we don't get up at 4!!! Sleep is really important for health in general and weight loss. I read 2 books on sleep and prioritizing sleep is a good idea. Hope you had a nice time walking the lake!

hi ebianco!
Old 06-24-21, 06:08 AM  
Buzzer

Walked the lake two times around.... DONE!

So I thought this was less than a mile, nope. It's 1.4 miles! So I started at 9:30am after I dropped off LB. I thought about doing 3 laps, but by the time I did 2 it was getting too hot so I ended it there. I do think I will wake up LB early a few times and take her and her scooter with me to do the walk some time. It was pleasant! There is some senior living homes there that are so fun to look at and imagine living in. They face the lake and are those perfect little yards and front porches that make you want to sit, drink iced tea and talk.

I am feeling kinda cranky, and I know it's becuase it's my birthday tomorrow and I hate birthdays. I am not a birthday person. My friends and I were going to go out (milestone year), go to a little bar with an outside patio, and have some margaritas. Well, the lady that said she would have someone watch LB fell through over the weekend so I didn't have her covered. I was annoyed, then I told DH, "I'd rather stay home and do a fire pit anyhow". So I gathered a list of friends we hang out with a lot (which ended up being about 35 people showing up, husbands and kids included, which makes it about 15 adults and 20 kids!) and sent out an evite. I thought there wouldn't be much interest, I sent it out late, but everyone said yes. Now I am having chipotle cater it, because I don't want to cook for my party, and it's become expensive to not have a babysitter!!

So add on to that, the fireside "chat" and prayer we usually do is on Friday nights. So I had invited 3 of the families from that because they are my friends. They decided to reschedule the fire chat to Saturday, and my friend who sent out the text rescheduling invited EVERYONE on the text list to my party. She said DH told her to (on the text she said that). I jumped out of my skin. I don't even know who all is on the list.... they are just phone numbers to me, that's how much I don't know them. I was keeping it small, didn't invite people I know, and now everyone, including people I don't know, are invited????

DH never said "I didn't tell her that" instead he just said "don't worry about it." which ticked me off more. I would rather invite people I know than strangers! I am already kinda touchy about this party anyhow, I hate birthdays and big to-dos. I am warning people not to make a big deal, just enjoy the fire pit and food. I still don't know if he told her that or if she somehow came up with it on her own. I added 5 extra to the catering list just in case when I ordered last night. Which wasn't terribly cheap.. luckily it's chipotles and not a real caterer!!

So the neighbor came over and apologized, I explained that I wanted to keep it invite only, she said she figured since LB's party is a big blowout where anyone is invited, mine would be too. I tried to keep my calm, and I did. However it was hard to get the point across to her the damage she did without sounding kinda cranky, which I was. I will get over it. it's temporary, although is a mistake that I am choosing to try to cover so we don't end up short on food. Which is a bit more of an expense.

I am already cranky about how this has all gone down. I went from "take me out to breakfast then have a normal day" which is what I normally want, to going out to a bar, which was overwhelming in itself, to DH buying a shade tent 20'x10' and 4 picnic tables, and chipotles for more people than I wanted to invite.

So anyhow, I will have fun, I will endure, we will be OK!

Today I want to do a Firm. I usually try to do a tough workout on my birthday, and have done that for about 25 years. So no volumes today, I will do that tomorrow. Maybe a step workout or a tough cardio or something is on tap for today! Or maybe another walk around the lake. I enjoyed that, and tried to do my ttapp form the whole time. I won't have a ton of opportunities to do that since it involves being in town early enough to not bake in the sun.

Eventmom: Are the hives from the heat? we are supposed to have some cooler days again through the weekend. Hopefully you guys are too.

DH had to be up at 4 again today, so of course I popped awake at 3:57, and couldn't sleep again because I knew I had to go make sure he's awake. We have a very busy day today, so hopefully I slept enough this time! Otherwise I will probably have to take a nap in the car, because I have errands to do while LB is at VBS, then we are splash padding it again with her friend from yesterday, then karate, then we are headed to another friends house for dinner. Packed, late day that I hope I can stay awake for! Luckily I fell asleep a little before 10, and my fitbit says I slept 5 hours 20 minutes of that. If I end up as tired as I was the other day, I will have to nap in the car!

I know sleep is important. It just seems to me no matter what pills I take, no matter what magic other people take and do, it doesn't work for me. The pills I'm taking now (magnesium and "night rest") seem to be the best I've found for at least not waking up in the middle of the night totally awake. I am so happy I can not-sleep-enough in one solid chunk instead of two. I wish I could sleep 7-8 hours a night like normal people!

Hi Ebianco!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 06-24-21, 10:49 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

jacq umoff sweaty sculpt youtube + 20 min up to the beat walk

so I've got to repeat the injection to try to plug the hole in my dura. It's the 6-8 wks of limited activity that is tough. Jab a huge needle into my neck sure, but tell me I have to find a way to not exercise or take care of my horses is a problem.

buzzer - that lake walk sounds great, at least if you can get out there when it's not too hot. I would be so pissed off if someone invited people to my party, what the actual, so presumptuous, not a strong enough word. I can't even imagine *thinking* it's okay to invite people to someone else's party. I'm sure you handled it better than I would have. I don't think my horse's hives are from the heat, they are on one side, they are weeping more likely she laid in something in the field. I *so* want to be in NM and get a break from all of this.

hi ebianco!
Old 06-24-21, 02:05 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all, I had planned rest days on Monday and Tuesday, and have been feeling under the weather so taking kind of a recovery week. Still working out, just not to my full capacity. I feel worn down and it's that time of the month, so am happy to just take it easy.

Yesterday-Firm Basics Sculpting with Weights, with Tracie. I really didn't want to work out at all, but have been thinking of Firms lately from Buzzer's threads, and remembered about Firm Basics SWW! This workout is both fun and easy so it's hard to say "I don't feel like it" and it was a great workout. Perfect low intensity for yesterday.

Today I still feel pretty poorly (bad cramps) so I did Firm Volume 4 and kept the poundage down a little bit. And it as great too!

Tomorrow probably mostly stretching, and maybe an easier/shorter Cathe for Saturday and easier/shorter barre for Sunday.

Eventmom I had to look up what a dura is LOL. Another medical procedure? I hope you can be done with those soon! How are you doing with your migraines?

Buzzer It's funny because it took me years to warm up to Cathe, but now I totally get it. I like Cedie (not sure of spelling either) too! She seems a little more human than Cathe LOL.

I know all the classic Firms despite the common buzz words like "super" and "sculpting" LOL but the BSS eras are even MORE generic and I could never tell you which was which! At least some of the Pink Firms have really creative titles like Get Chisel'd so they are easier to remember! Some of the Firm instructors became REALLY skinny (borderline gaunt) for BSS3-4 era but they looked healthier in the Pink firm era. It made me think the Goodtimes producers forced them to lose weight, but you never know. I definitely know what you mean!

I would be SO upset at all the extra invites for YOUR birthday party (happy almost birthday BTW!). I mean who would do that?? And then to get no support from DH I wouldn't want a big party either for myself, hate being the center of attention! And to try to estimate food because who knows who will come or not. That is SO stressful! Especially when you just wanted a couple close families! My DH and I are very laid back. We exchange nice cards with hand written notes for anniversaries, birthdays, Christmas, valentines day, mother/fathers day, and for birthdays and anniversaries we go out to a nice dinner. We never exchange gifts unless it's a "just because I came across something you'd really enjoy" because we both buy what we want anyway.

I used to go for a celebratory run on my birthdays, but stopped after a few years when my knees were hurting. I try to do something I really enjoy (like Fitprime Crunch Time which I think I've done on at least a couple birthdays) but sometimes I haven't even worked out if it's my pre-planned rest days Monday or Tuesday LOL. My birthday falls on a Saturday this year so I'll probably do a tough Cathe
Old 06-25-21, 09:30 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

jacq umoff badass barre + 20 min TA cardio

ebianco - sorry about the cramps - I'm past that LOL but still need some workouts for low energy days. also sorry about the jargon - I've got tears that are leaking cervical spinal fluid around c7/t1 vertebrae. I've had this done 2 x already and the problem for me is that I can't do heavy exercise for 6-8 weeks but no one can actually tell me what qualifies as heavy means - so sure no 50 pound sacks of feed, but can I workout just no weights? can I stretch? can I ride? and ah, need to clean stalls daily can I or??? so I don't handle the restrictions very well.

buzzer - hope the party is more fun than you anticipated!
Old 06-26-21, 08:53 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

It has definitely continued to be a recovery week for me. I'm feeling a little better now, but I have just been drained all week. I ended up taking an unplanned rest day yesterday (I couldn't even talk myself into some gentle walking and stretching ) but I got a deep tissue massage and it felt amazing!! So I still did something good for myself...LOL. Today when I laid down on my back to do chest fly, I couldn't believe the leftover ache in my back from the tough massage, so just as well I went easy.

Today I did Cathe Bodyblast Series Supersets, definitely an easier for Cathe at only 53 minutes and the exercises weren't as hard, she mixed up body parts more and didn't have the same amount of intense burn out. I love the music in this one!! It makes me want to check out all her other Bodyblast series, because they are a little easier with awesome music. I suspect over the next couple of years I'll probably end up acquiring most of her DVDs even the non total body ones. I'm just obsessed right now LOL!

Tomorrow a shorter/easier barre workout and that is that for this week. Hopefully by next week I'll feel rejuvenated to go full out again!

Eventmom Ugh I would not be able to handle restrictions out either!! Each person is different and taking it easy for an active person is a totally different thing than taking it easy for a sedentary person.

Thankfully the bad cramps only lasted one day. I am starting to feel a little better except soreness from that great but tough massage I got yesterday!

Buzzer I laughed at your response on the GD discussion about Linda's workouts. I forgot how much you didn't like that hula workout! It is definitely a mixed bag for how people feel about Linda's workouts LOL.
Old 06-27-21, 08:49 AM  
Buzzer

OK, where am I ?
Walked around the lake again, 2 times... DONE! (2.8 miles)
Firm Super sculpting.. DONE!

So the super sculpting was the all weight training one with like 5 of the instructors on the cover. I LOVE this one. It gets my heart rate up, makes me sweat (and swear) and there's no aerobics. I love it.

I felt pretty worked afterwards too! On the back rows, I had my weights on the floor that I was using, and thought my 15's were still on the rack. so for rows, since they move so fast, I grabbed the next weight on the rack and did the rows. I was disappointed in myself for how hard it was. When we made it to doing the rows on the other side, I looked at the weight... I had grabbed a 20 pound weight! HA! No wonder it felt more difficult. I could do it, but it was harder than I expected. I used the 20 on the other side, however I will go back to 15's just for forms sake.

I did this workout on my birthday morning, since for the last 30ish years I have always done a hard workout on my birthday. I think to me, it is a symbol that I a still working out, still working hard, and still capable. it did make me feel good throughout the day, knowing that I did it and I still did it well. I didn't have to take shortcuts or too many rests or do anything that made me feel like I was becoming too old to do this stuff. It made the rest of the day really good! I am not a birthday person at all. My friend asked "if you didn't do something for your birthday, wouldn't you regret it at all? even a tiny bit?" I thought about it and no, I would totally, 100% be OK with it.

I am glad we did the party, but I would have been glad we did it no matter what day it was!! It rained like crazy. Seriously, crazy rain. Buckets. We had 2 tents (10' x 20') and DH put up tarps on the side of the tent. I am so glad he did becuase it kept the rain out. It was coming down so. hard. unbelievable. I hope rain on your birthday is as much of a good omen as rain on your wedding day!! We had rain on our wedding day too. HA!

So the day before, although I was going to do a Firm, I am glad I did the walk. I think I am going to take LB down some days and do the walk with her, while she rides her scooter or her bike. That would be nice.

Yesterday I took the day off. I didn't drink a lot, I had maybe 2 Angry Orchards, but it was a late night and I spent the day vacuum sealing food, cleaning up the tents, and hanging out a bit. LB had her BFF spend the night, and they played so well yesterday. It was a pleasant day. I don't even know how the day got away from me, or what I did all day!! I did take a nap for about 2 hours. I know that because LB came in, asked me "what's language?" I said "like French, English, Spanish." she said "OK." then she came back in and said "It also said mild violence, crude jokes, and realistic scenarios" I laughed and said "I bet language was also in the warnings! So basically they will cuss, there will be some mild violence, and butt jokes." so it was for a movie. HA! Anyhow, I swear only 5 minutes passed when she came back in and told me the movie was good (lucha? Luca?) and I was amazed that I had slept that long! So I had a good nap.

Today I will be back at it, probably with a volume. They are surprisingly easier (not easy, easier) with lower weights. After I was done with a volume once, the "20 questions about fitness" started and I heard her say something about you will learn to choose your weights, and understand why choosing too low or too high of a weight can hurt your workout. A lightbulb came on in my head that perhaps I choose too high of weights sometimes, and it was hurting my workout instead of helping it. So I found a happy medium for me.

Eventmom: So the PT got upset at me when I told her I am lifting 10 pounds max. She at first said "NO!! No lifting 10 pounds with that finger!" I told her I splint it and don't use it, per se. Then she was Ok with it. So I think the weight thing is so variable. Don't lift anything, be delicate. But it's ok if I do it with it splinted? I don't know. I guess I would ask what the low limit on weight you can lift is. Also is that dead lifting, or if I lift with my legs and my arms are down, can I lift it? I would quiz them. Make them earn the thousands of dollars they are getting! HA!

I knew the party would be fun (how could it not be with so many people I love there?) however I was afraid the people I don't know would be there with crazy kids and eating lots of food. Luckily since it was rainy, the people I didn't invite didn't show up! We did have some crazy kids, but crazy in a good way. They ran in the rain and didn't care. They had a blast! We do have food left over, but it's good food and I can use it for sure.

Ebianco: I remember when I was in excellent shape, putting my "basics" in a box to give away and thinking that I would never replace them. they were too easy. Well, now I am grateful I bought them when they were cheap on the Firm site! I love the basics. I should do another one. They are great for low energy days when you still want to get a Firm done!!
It's so funny, we usually just do breakfast and we used to do a card too. Although, we would find the funniest, most inappropriate card for each other. Like, sympathy cards for our anniversary. Get well soon for Birthdays. Coping cards for valentines day. We haven't gotten each other cards in a while, however DH has a birthday coming up, I should do that again.

Dh knows that I won't spend money on myself, so he usually gets me something I wouldn't buy for myself. Like an upgraded fitbit, or iPad or something like that. I would still be using my flip phone and an old 2010 laptop if it weren't for him! He makes me look advanced. HA!

I always think too how the people in the workout look like what the producers of the workout want them to look. Kinda like a movie. Or a fitness competition. You "peak" for those things, get to where you look your best. Fitness competitors don't always look like that in every day life, so the instructors dont either. However, it does bother me when they look all sinew-y and way too thin. I am sure that's how the producer wants them to look, but I have to agree with Anna Benson. I love the ladies' bodies in the original Firms. I will never look like that, but they are amazingly gorgeous!!

I did hate the hula workout. HA! I hated that workout so much!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14