Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-24, 07:30 PM  
JustSandra

Hi all!

I had another visit from Kaiser Home Health this morning. Knee flexion is up to 110 degrees! Which is cool since the overall goal is 120 degrees. I was rewarded with two new additional PT exercises lol. Home Health comes one more time on Wednesday, then next week I transition to outpatient Physical Therapy. My official post-op appointment with the surgeon isn't until April 25.

The Iceman unit is very convenient! The instructions show adding ice cubes to make the water cold, but I read an online tip to use frozen water bottles which is so much more convenient (I don't have to lug the entire unit to/from the sink lol). I put fresh bottles in it each morning and the circulating water stays cool all day. I was already hooked up to the Iceman when I woke up from the surgery. The unit is mine to keep, but my brother is so envious of it I'll give it to him when I no longer need it.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-24, 08:36 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, "agreeable" might be too strong, but we're definitely glad he's not being disagreeable!

Pam, that looks like a nice practice; I don't know the instructor either. I'll have to decide if I want to pull out an old favorite or try something new. I have done Altar of the Heart in awhile...

Sandra, great news about your progress!

I've re-discovered Ryan Raw Kettlebell workouts on YouTube - I like that the routines are short, fun, and different. I also did a really nice "Low Back Love" yin practice today from Yoga with Shaunneka, adding in my own props: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVHoee8bx48

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-24, 09:38 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Sandra - That’s great progress!

Cyana - Thanks for the MSTF advice. I like Lee Holden’s 30 Day Chi to start the morning, but first I have to get out of bed!

Beth - Thanks for the links! I’ll check those out too.

Saddle pose - I’ve never really clicked with this pose. If I go deep enough to feel the stretch then the pose will be uncomfortable, and if I back off I won’t feel much of a stretch. The alternatives work much better for me.

I completely forgot about the vernal equinox! I’ll do a meditation on renewal after my yoga practice, unless I forget about it again…

I’ve had allergy/sinus issues lately - it’s that time of year! I’ve been doing workouts from the Barlates You Build series, which has 10’ segments that you can mix and match to build your own workout. Weeks 1 and 2 are already on YT and week 3 will be posted next week. These are more accessible than Linda’s older 10’ workouts without being too easy. Linda demonstrates the moves at a “base” level, shows easier and harder versions, and mentions how to add resistance to increase the intensity.

14 Mar
25' - Classical Stretch standing-floor 923
30' - Barlates You Build week 2: Chest and Back, Arms and Shoulders, Obliques (YT)
20' - Yoga Journal Complete Beginner's Guide: Calming

15 Mar
15' - Barlates Walk Off Belly Fat: 2000 Step Walk (YT)
40' - Barlates Fit Ball: Bums and Tums + Fit in 5 Mat: Glutes (YT)
15' - 10' Solution Yoga: Flexibility and Relaxation

16 Mar
AM
20' - Yoga Journal Complete Beginner's Guide: Energizing
PM
25' - Classical Stretch standing-floor 922

17 Mar
60' - Barlates You Build week 3: Cardio Compound, Barre Thighs, Standing Abs, Butt and Back, Plank Variations, Arms and Abs (will be on YT next week)
15' - 10' Solution Yoga: Flexibility and Relaxation

18 Mar
AM
45' - Barlates New Year Meltdown: Cardio Barre (20' steady-state cardio, 20' barre)
PM
35' - Barlates 3/18 coffee talk walk (YT)
35' - Suzanne Deason: Easy Yoga

Linda has "coffee talks" on her YT channel where she talks about health topics, upcoming workouts, etc. She's done basic walking workout steps during the past couple of talks. It's kind of like a walking workout, but without planned timed intervals - Linda just changes the step from time to time while she's talking. I think it's a good idea! I also tried one of her new walking workouts on YT. It has basic moves typical of walking workouts and the move changes every 60 seconds. It was useful for getting moving that day. I'll probably check out the others eventually.

Waves to all!

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-24, 09:55 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

RE saddle pose, I forgot to mention that my teacher José de Groot really recommends that you adjust your limbs in ANY way that allow you to feel it in the target pose, NO MATTER HOW IT LOOKS. So my saddle (based on my work with her) is toes together, knees apart, slight lean back only because that's where I feel the stretch. I can then prop myself up pretty high in that position to be more comfortable. But if you can't find the stretch without discomfort, Colleen is absolutely right, you do another pose.

Colleen, I hope your sinuses clear up soon! I just used my neti pot yesterday to try and prevent any pressure headaches this week.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-18-24, 10:19 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Beth - Saddle is a complicated pose! I find I get the best stretch with the least discomfort by doing one side at a time in half saddle. I lay back on my bolster with a small rolled towel under my ankle so my foot won’t cramp. Full saddle is hard on my low back.

Colleen - Hope you feel better soon!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-24, 07:28 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Beth - Saddle is a complicated pose! I find I get the best stretch with the least discomfort by doing one side at a time in half saddle. I lay back on my bolster with a small rolled towel under my ankle so my foot won’t cramp. Full saddle is hard on my low back.
Pam, I always felt the same. But when I did my 1:1 with José, she pointed out that there was no need for me to push myself towards reclined in saddle with both legs since I was feeling the stretch while pretty upright. So she encouraged me to prop myself there.

I'm going to see if I can add a screen shot of my video with José.

ETA - I did add a photo here:
https://forum.videofitness.com/album...pictureid=2275

I was pretty comfortable but adjusting on the fly; I could probably have been propped up even a little higher. My lower back didn't hurt with my knees wide, feet together, and my upper back supported pretty high.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-19-24, 07:45 AM  
cyana

Good Morning and Happy Almost Solstice, since it isn't official until tonight. 11:06 PM EDT/8:06 PM PDT.

Sandra - Hooray on your progress. If you gift the Iceman to your brother, at least it will be close by if you want to use it in the future.

Pam - Bonus points for finding a Vernal Equinox yoga practice to do.

Colleen - One of many benefits of MSTF - you start while still in the bed, which has been especially handy with the recent time change. And on chilly mornings.

Beth - I'm glad to hear that your father was at least receptive to the facility - that's a positive start.

Paine - Why am I not surprised to hear that Pen Jillette came up with that great name for Whole Wallet?!?

Pat - (and anyone else who enjoys watching the bird videos on YT) - Lady Hawk is a channel in south Florida with hawks (the name gave that one away) and I just found the channel of Robert E Fuller from the UK and watched a video about tawny owls - best mom ever!

Being an oldie moldy music lover, I find YT to be a treasure trove to explore. My latest discovery is Tori Holub - this young lady sounds remarkably like Karen Carpenter (IMHO - one of the purest voices ever). I saw Tori mentioned on the Wings of Pegasus channel and later came across several videos on Jim MIDI Doctor's channel.

To start off my Salute to Solstice, I did a lovely meditation from MFML - Start the Day with Alexander Filmer-Lorch.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Happy Spring!!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-24, 10:46 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning and Happy Tuesday! I was wiped out yesterday after not sleeping the night before, so I went to bed early. But first I did laundry and:

~ 6 minutes silent meditation (day 4)
~ Fabulous50s 20 Minute Fat Burning Walking Workout
~ Fabulous50s 5 Minute Toned Arms Workout
~ 5,686 steps

I really like Shelly’s energy and personality, and plan to look to her channel more often.

Beth, thank you for the tips and the archetypes info - that is very helpful. I could most happily substitute supported bridge over a bolster. Devi Daly calls that pose Golden Gates. I like your propping in the photo with Jose de Groot.

Thanks for checking in, Sandra. You’re progressing quickly! How is your pain level? I used the frozen water bottles for DH’s ice machine, too - so much more convenient.

Colleen - that’s exactly how I felt when attempting half saddle. Funny because I have no problem with doing a forward bend with one foot tucked under.

Cyana, I follow Robert Fully via Facebook, love his owls and that you get to see some UK raptors.

Waves to Paine and all who visit!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-24, 10:51 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Osprey cams: the male has been spotted on the Clinton osprey cam but right now he's off hunting. https://ct.audubon.org/mas-west-river-osprey-cam

The Hammonasset cam is also up and I see the male on his daddy perch! https://menunkatuck.org/hammo-osprey-cam
This is typically the cam with the most experienced and caring parents.

The females should be arriving in the next couple of weeks.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-24, 11:42 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Beth, thank you for the tips and the archetypes info - that is very helpful. I could most happily substitute supported bridge over a bolster. Devi Daly calls that pose Golden Gates. I like your propping in the photo with Jose de Groot.
Yes, I love the archetype model - Paul Grilley has yang archetypes on his site too. I also love the supported bridge with the legs extended! In the practice I did with Shaunneka last night, she did a face-down version with the front of the hips supported - I really loved that version too.

cyana, I had to LOL at "moldy music"! Glad you found a solstice practice to try.

Follow me @YogiBethC