Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-21, 12:30 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

My first ever fitness wearable: Apple Watch 7

I've never had any kind of "modern day" fitness wearable. I own an old Polar heart rate monitor, but rarely use it in recent years as the chest strap is uncomfortable and the watch face hard to read. Oh, and an old Omron pedometer that is in a pile of dust somewhere.

So, my big early Christmas gift to me was an Apple Watch 7. Holy cow, this device is something else! I haven't had time to read the User Guide yet. I just tap icons and see what happens. It tracks anything and everything I'd want.

All the features and functions of the watch are a bit overwhelming...

It comes with a free 3-month trial to Apple Fitness+. Has anyone tried that? I don't have any fitness subscriptions. (The only one I ever had was Beachbody On Demand a few years back.)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-21, 01:50 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

So, Vintage goes back to the Future. Good to hear you're finding useful settings on it. I don't do Apple stuff so can't help on the Apple Fitness.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-21, 02:33 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Congratulations and Merry early Christmas!! I also acquired an Apple watch this year and yes, it does have a lot of info! I did not bother signing up for the fitness offer since I have plenty to choose from already. Enjoy the new toy and let me know if you figure out some cool secret features.
Old 11-24-21, 12:05 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
So, Vintage goes back to the Future. Good to hear you're finding useful settings on it. I don't do Apple stuff so can't help on the Apple Fitness.
KarenJo - I've been debating getting an Apple watch for years:

Apple Watch: Pros and Cons

No one can call me an impulse buyer, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Congratulations and Merry early Christmas!! I also acquired an Apple watch this year and yes, it does have a lot of info! I did not bother signing up for the fitness offer since I have plenty to choose from already. Enjoy the new toy and let me know if you figure out some cool secret features.
bee - There are quite a few YouTube vidoes with tips and tricks. It all depends on which model you have.

So far, I am loving this thing!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 11-24-21, 02:07 PM  
warriorprincess

I love the Apple Watch. I did the free 3 months of Apple Fitness. It was pretty good. I especially liked the dance videos. And the music is quite good, but very modern, so not familiar to me. I have too many other things I like better than to subscribe, but I love the way it shows my heart rate on the TV while I'm working out.

Even when doing non-Apple+ workouts, I like being able to see my heart rate on the watch without wearing a strap. And the fact that the fitness app keeps track of it all is nice.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-21, 02:51 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Wow, you started with the cream of the crop! Good for you!

I love my Fitbit. It motivates me to move more. I love that you can program it to measure various exercises because I prefer weights, yoga and Pilates - none of those earn you steps. With my Charge I can look at my stats and see the rewards for a nice sweaty hour of weight training in calories burned, HR, etc.

You deserve it!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-21, 03:35 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
KarenJo

bee - There are quite a few YouTube vidoes with tips and tricks. It all depends on which model you have.

So far, I am loving this thing!
Mine is a 6, so pretty similar functionality I think. My most used feature is probably the timer -- silly, but it's amazing how many times a day I need a timer! I bought a couple of (cheap) apps to get more info on exercise/heart rate/sleep. HeartWatch and AutoSleep. Not sure they were entirely necessary. I love the walkie-talkie feature -- which I've used with someone who was at least 65 miles away. I'm sure there's a huge amount of functionality I don't know about. Maybe I'll check out youtube! Have fun.
Old 11-29-21, 11:17 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Wow, you started with the cream of the crop! Good for you!

I love my Fitbit. It motivates me to move more. I love that you can program it to measure various exercises because I prefer weights, yoga and Pilates - none of those earn you steps. With my Charge I can look at my stats and see the rewards for a nice sweaty hour of weight training in calories burned, HR, etc.

You deserve it!
Which fitbit do you have? I'm still using the original One but thinking of upgrading to a watch.
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-21, 04:14 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I'm still loving my Apple Watch. I learn some new thing about it every day.

The very best feature? It can find my misplaced iPhone. With a touch on the screen, it will ping the phone and the phone makes a loud beeping sound.

For me that is GOLD!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 12-14-21, 05:34 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I'm still loving my Apple Watch. I learn some new thing about it every day.

The very best feature? It can find my misplaced iPhone. With a touch on the screen, it will ping the phone and the phone makes a loud beeping sound.

For me that is GOLD!
Yes, that is a good one! Even when the phone just falls somewhere in the car!

Tags
apple watch, fitness tracker, fitness wearables, step out of the stone age