Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-15-22, 07:30 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Greetings! I missed coming up to my sister-in-law's where I pirate the WiFi signal yesterday because I took off to wander around Target while everyone else was at an appointment. My mother-in-law met with an attorney yesterday about her will and he gave her a couple of simple options to get her around needing a will by deeding land directly to her children where she would have controlling interest until her death and then they would take over the deed and in designating beneficiaries for her investment accounts. She's 90 and her kids have been concerned that she was going to die without taking care of that type of thing, but she has pushed through and made decisions. I didn't cook today, but I will tomorrow. And I have the only training session I'll do while we're gone tomorrow afternoon.

Anita - Woohoo! That's all great news. It's good when you don't want the most popular option - i.e., views of the lake. And the timing worked out GREAT.

Paula - Have a great trip. I'll see you when we're both back.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 07:56 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

It's a beautiful morning outside and I can't wait to go for a walk out there! Yesterday went well and I've got my skylight measured for a replacement. My house ducts are all cleaner and Gus hair has been removed. I'll be working on weeding and mowing my yard.

Laura, I've got a living trust - the trust controls my properties and gives all my assets away as I direct them to go without court probate. I also have a will as a backup to the trust. It's good to have both to be fully covered. I'll probably need to update my trust when I move to the co-op, but am not sure about when I put money down and wait for it to be built - I will have the unit named after my living trust. I'll call my lawyer and ask her. Laura, you should have all these documents in place for yourself NOW - don't wait till you're 90! Have fun with your training session today!

Paula, hope you're having a great trip!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 02:57 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Well, I was supposed to have a training session today, but she got caught up in someone doing some work on her house. And that's fine with me. I had a number of things I wanted to do on my phone and computer while I had WiFi.

It has been stressful at my MIL's house. I am guessing that she has pretty severe anxiety - a physical issue - and, whatever is going on with her, it's untreated. She has been so very anxious about everything - the will and financial issues even though the kids arranged solutions that gave her exactly what she wanted and what we are all going to eat even though I'm in charge of that and anything else that occurs to her. We've been up way too late for the last several evenings because that is when her anxiety spikes and we have to reassure her that everything is fine. This country WV family, at least the two older generations, don't even recognize mental health issues, much less ones that need to be treated. The next couple of generations do sometimes. Anyway, that is one reason DH and I escape so much up to my SiL's house to use her WiFi. And that's why I'm wondering where I need to take myself away from the house tomorrow.

Anita - Oh, we know we need a will or trust or something. DH is the paperwork guy and will insist on driving that process, but every time he has thought about it, he ends up thinking about his mom and what she needs to do. Now that her decisions are being made, he intends to get to our will in the coming months. Congrats on a GOOD skylight day. I hope that the replacement solves all those issues!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 06-17-22, 06:29 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Yesterday was a good day - I got a lot done! I drove about an hour away to drop off Gus's crate and toys/supplies for the Australian Shepherd Rescue organization to use or sell at their rummage sale. I took a walk at a park along the way. I also stopped by a greenhouse and picked up some plants to put in my front yard bed. I also got some weeding and lawn mowing done at home.

Today I'll be working at the WRC and then going out to lunch with some friends . I'll be prepping the front yard bed for my plants also - I've got a lot of roses to pull up (planning to use my winter leather mitts to handle those!). These roses are the base plant for the spliced bloomer on top of it and it's wandered all over the bed - it doesn't bloom. I'll add some color back into the bed. When I put the bed in many years ago I used roses to discourage my neighbor's boy from playing baseball in his and my front yard - this way he kept the ball going in the direction away from my house and windows . The kid is now a grownup and moved away.

Laura, I'm glad you're there to help your MIL - mental health issues are difficult in older people. My mom also had issues but wouldn't seek treatment - unfortunately she lived and helped at a mental health facility when she came to this country - her hosts worked there. She got pretty traumatized by mental health issues she saw around her - she believed she didn't have any of those problems that would need a doctor's help - she had pretty bad depression at times. I haven't heard back from the skylight guy when something could get done on my issue - my 10 year warranty expires in August so I want something done!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 06-17-22, 07:58 AM  
Vantreesta

I agree about older generations not understanding as much about mental health. It's sad that there is still a stigma attached. I worked in the office at a mental health center for 11 years. When I first started there I did the intakes and I quickly changed the verbage from "do you have a mental illness" to "do you have a mental health diagnosis." So many people think mental illness is just schizophrenia or antisocial personality disorder or other things you see in movies and aren't aware that depression, anxiety and ADHD are mental health diagnoses and are extremely common. If anything good has come from the pandemic I feel like more people are starting to appreciate that our mental health is as important as our physical health.

Anita, reading about your gardening makes me both tired and jealous!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-22, 04:52 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Both DH and I are up at my SIL's catching up on electronic communication stuff that requires WiFi. Today has been a busy day. I started out the day by going to the grocery store for a few things we needed. When I got home, I made DH the brownies I've been promising him since we got here and I put together a pizza for him. Then, I went and picked one up for my MIL and me and we had lunch at home. I really enjoyed the pizza since we've had all homemade food since getting here. While we ate, it POURED and it's so much cooler and less humid now. Tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be beautiful.

Yesterday, my MIL was subdued, but we didn't have the weepy anxiety-laden episodes. Today, she cleaned the house some and seemed pretty content. She has been on her own for a couple of hours while we've been at my SIL's house. We'll see if she's still okay when we return. She's apparently on one medication already and DH told his sister when they spoke today that the doctor needs to try another medication because the one she's on isn't working.

Anita - I can see why you feel like you are running out of time with the skylight. I hope you can get someone to fix it! That's an OLD plant you have, if the reason for it grew up and moved away! Hopefully, you can add more color into that bed.

Vantreesta - Depression and anxiety runs in my husband's family. Still my MIL can't seem to understand how it's affecting her. She spends time on her own so much since (a) the pandemic and (b) everyone around her is so busy. But I think the pandmic has really helped the wider population understand more about mental health issues.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 06-18-22, 07:36 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I didn't get as much done yesterday as I had hoped, so today I'll be working on getting the front bed prepared for more flowers. I'll also be painting some chips on my doors and the entryway - I've got to keep my doors open a bit for the paint to dry, so not able to go anywhere. I hope to get a walk in later today but before the temps get too high - today will be nothing compared to the heat coming tomorrow!

Vantreesta, thanks for having worked in a mental health environment . I'm glad it's being seen as a more insurance covered phenomenon than it was in the past.

Laura, on your pizza lunch - I went to an Indian restaurant yesterday and shared with three other people - that was yummy also! I hope your MIL's meds work out . I'm hoping to get the roses pulled up today and the bed cleared of them on the north side - hope my hands and arms survive the thorns! I'll be putting in some partial shade plants a daisy like flower and a purple leaved pinkish flower spiked one - can I remember all the scientific names these days? NO!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 06-18-22, 08:32 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. We're home safe and sound. We had a mostly nice time but came home a day early because both DH and I had allergy problems. The staff at the Lodge said it's not uncommon this time of year, the pines are doing something that causes many people's allergies to flare. DH had an awful night the first night. When we were running around during the day, mostly in the car with the filtered air, it wasn't bad when we weren't in the car we were both suffering. The canyon was awsome, as usual. All in all we're glad we went but not sorry we left early.

Workout this morning was a Pahla B walking and standing ab workout, I don't remember the name of - a new one for me - I liked it. I followed that with some stretching.

Grocery and food prep day for us, and I made a big pot of lentil soup.

Anita, sounds as though you're getting the house in tip top shape and making some decisions on what you'll need in your co-op unit. One thing I've learned on cruise ships is if youo have a lot of built ins you can live comfortably is a small space. My parents too when they went to a senior apartment with services setting. They had a two bedroom apartment but it was much smaller than what they had before. They did have to downsize their stuff but once in the apartment it was so well laid out I don't think they missed the space they used to have. We have a will and the health directives but I think they need updating - it's been a long time since reviewed them. You seem to be keeping busy between the WRC and working in your home and yard. You will need leather gloves to pull out well established roses. Good luck getting them out without getting scratched up.

Laura, man my heart goes out to you. My MIL had anxiety problems after my FIL died and they seemed to get worse as time went on. Of course she wouldn't discuss it with her doctor, just called my husband and went off. We did what we could, but it wasn't enough, she needed medication and counseling and never got it. I understand why you escape to your SIL's home.

Antreestra, thank you for working in a mental health center. It's much needed work. I hope the stigma of mental health is lessening.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote