Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-21, 07:52 PM  
JENILU

Question Best Shoes for Severe Overpronation/Flat Feet???

What are y'alls recs? I used the Ariel 18's for a few years now, but they are getting hard to get. They are the only things that have ever stabilized my feet (I also have sinus tarsi and so just strengthening ankles, etc, doesn't always work, sometimes makes it worse). There are some Ariel 20's have found (at a very high price) but everyone says they are different. I tried the Brooks Addiction 15 and their Adrenaline (don't remember number) and neither had enough stabilization, and the toe part on the addiction hurt badly or else it may have worked. It looks like Asics, Saucony, even Ryka and Sketchers have a few that are recommended, but I wanted to come here and ask the real experts
I never would have spent the money on Brooks in the first place, but was getting physical therapy for it a few years back to avoid steroid shots - dry needling is amazing for different pain issues!!, but this couldn't be fixed- was helped, but its an issue that will not fully change, so anyway, he recommended the Brooks Ariel 18's and they were my best friends ever since.

i have to say, my feet did get stronger while in them because I was able to move more and do more, and I was even able to do a little barefoot yoga because that had brought down the inflammation so much, so i don't think its counter productive like some articles seem to imply- atleast for my problems.

Thanky'all!! Love y'all and many blessings <3

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 08:22 PM  
Bluebelle

I just bought stability shoes for the first time. I've had to get used to them. I've got my first pair of Brooks (have worn Asics for years). i got the Adrenaline #21 which you didn't like. And I got the Asics GT 1000 10. Both are nice. I feel like the Adrenaline has more support than the Asics 1000. So you may not like either shoe.

I tried another Brooks that had more support than the Adrenaline but it just felt too supportive to me. I can't remember the name & I've looked at their site and can't pick it out. It could have been the Levitate. Good luck - i just went through quite a bit of trouble finding new sneakers.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 09:05 PM  
Floren

I've used and loved the Asics GT-2000 series for years.They come out with a new version each year. This year's latest version has a few differences. You can usually purchase the latest and last year's version. I usually buy a half size bigger than I have.

You have to try on a lot to see which feels best, it's not easy! Hope you find a good pair for you.

ETA You can go to a running shoes store and they can analyze your gait, and suggest some shoes for you to try for the overpronating/flat issues. That's how I found the ones that I loved for years.
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-21, 03:12 AM  
JENILU

Thank you both!! Probably the reason the Adrenaline didn't work for me was because I went too long before I settled on something and it had gotten bad.

Several years ago, i got fitted at a store, I cannot remember the name, and it wasn't for these specific issues, but they upset me so much, lol, I have been afraid to try again. in most shoes, I wear a 7 1/2 or 8, and he had me, because of the machine that saw I had absolutely no arches, in a 10. i was walking around the store with it flip flopping off of me (partly my narrow ankles), and making it clear they wouldn't work, but he insisted that was the proper shoe for me. I got so upset because I already couldn't find a right fit and I felt hopeless after arguing with him. If i was a 9 or 10, i wouldn't mind being a 9 or 10, but if you have to walk funny to keep the shoes from falling off and tie them around your ankles, then they are too big, lol. I guess I gave up on them really being intelligent about their product.

About the Asics, y'all say they come out with a new version each year. Could you possibly give a little more detail on that? Or atleast maybe which provides a little more stability.I don't really know shoe language, lol. i grew up getting the cheapest shoes in the store, whatever they were, and was that way most of adult life because it was all I knew. My hubby now, insists i do what takes care of me (I love that man!), and when my ankles finally went on strike over my foot shape, it was time. I wish shoe brands would stick with a style if people really like it, and if they make tweaks, just name it something else instead of discontinuing the others.

Sorry, anyway, the Asics - I think it was the GT 2000 and 4000 came up in articles, and I have considered. i think I would have liked the brooks addiction if it hadn't hurt my toes on the left foot so bad. I am being so dumb, but does that just mean i need to size up a little?

thank y'all so much for the thoughts and advice!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 12-04-21, 11:45 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

The Asics website has a fitting feature. Just click what you need/want with regards to support, cushion and size, and it will suggest which models might work.

When I got fitted at a running store, they had me go up a half size. Sometimes, with thinner socks, the sneaker feels big, so I use an insole. Now it's nice because I can use my thicker, warmer socks.
Old 12-04-21, 12:25 PM  
LAC

There is a website, healthyfeetstore.com, where you can filter selections by multiple foot conditions (including flat feet and over pronation) and it will make recommendations.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-21, 01:27 PM  
JENILU

Thank y'all so much! I will try those. I did try that on, I think, the Brooks website before and ended up with the ones I had to send back- possibly the adrenalines. But now I am thinking size may have been the problem on that. I am curious to try these other ones tho as this is really my first time venturing out on this issue and may find something a little more affordable or that is available more often. That would be so nice!! Bless y'all!! (am looking for a local store too where i can actually try them on, but it doesn't seem like any have much stock of anything supportive)

Bless y'all <3

Old 12-04-21, 02:27 PM  
cyana

I can't speak to shoes for overpronation and flat feet (I have a neutral gait, moderately high arches and narrow heels), but I am The Princess and The Pea when it comes to finding shoes that fit. I got my last shoes at a local running store and while they had a machine, the person who helped me didn't use it. A good salesperson will ask what you're using the shoes for (I'm not a runner and was happy to see people of all ages, sizes, and genders getting attentive service by the staff). I always take a pair of shoes that have worked well for me to show them, as well as socks in differing thicknesses with different types of seams, as well as different insoles (all off the shelf, nothing custom). I've also found alternate lacing helps with my heel slippage. Here's a good site that shows different lacing patterns: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...ing-shoes.html . This has even more examples: https://runrepeat.com/top-10-running...ing-techniques .

Sometimes going up or down a half size makes a huge difference in comfort.

As far as price is concerned - once you find a pair that you like, check around on-line and see if that manufacturer has an outlet store. If you wear a less common shoe size, you'll likely find more outlet options. The more popular sizes tend to sell out quickly.

Unfortunately, manufacturers do tend to tweak the models from year to year, so last year's soulmate shoe may not be the object of your heart's desire this year. For example, specific to Brooks - you may find the Adrenaline in GTS 20, 21, or 22. Or the Brooks Ghost in 12, 13 or 14. You can read the descriptions on-line, and a salesperson should be able to tell you how the shoes are different from each other.

Happy shoe shopping and good luck!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-21, 03:13 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
I can't speak to shoes for overpronation and flat feet (I have a neutral gait, moderately high arches and narrow heels), but I am The Princess and The Pea when it comes to finding shoes that fit. I got my last shoes at a local running store and while they had a machine, the person who helped me didn't use it. A good salesperson will ask what you're using the shoes for (I'm not a runner and was happy to see people of all ages, sizes, and genders getting attentive service by the staff). I always take a pair of shoes that have worked well for me to show them, as well as socks in differing thicknesses with different types of seams, as well as different insoles (all off the shelf, nothing custom). I've also found alternate lacing helps with my heel slippage. Here's a good site that shows different lacing patterns: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...ing-shoes.html . This has even more examples: https://runrepeat.com/top-10-running...ing-techniques .

Sometimes going up or down a half size makes a huge difference in comfort.

As far as price is concerned - once you find a pair that you like, check around on-line and see if that manufacturer has an outlet store. If you wear a less common shoe size, you'll likely find more outlet options. The more popular sizes tend to sell out quickly.

Unfortunately, manufacturers do tend to tweak the models from year to year, so last year's soulmate shoe may not be the object of your heart's desire this year. For example, specific to Brooks - you may find the Adrenaline in GTS 20, 21, or 22. Or the Brooks Ghost in 12, 13 or 14. You can read the descriptions on-line, and a salesperson should be able to tell you how the shoes are different from each other.

Happy shoe shopping and good luck!
Thankyou! perfect! If I can find a decent store (it was a New Balance store those years ago, couldn't remember earlier). Doesn't seem to be anyone near me who has things I would be looking for available to try on right now - but still looking. I know there are several shoe outlet stores within an hour from here.

I did talk to customer service at Brooks, and she did tell me the Addiction 14 was the closest thing made to the Ariel 16/18, and there might be a few more available of those than the Ariel's. I just don't understand the yearly changes. If someone goes to a certain type shoe for a certain reason, then they would buy the next of the same when it comes out, and there are always bad reviews when they are bought based on the previous ones (a person new to the shoes may like and give a good review, but rarely someone who has used the previous model.).

Thankyou!!

PS; If I can't find anything close, am seriously thinking of sizing up in the Addiction. The adrenaline had not support (stability/motion control) compared to what I had been wearing. I wish it did. I really liked it aesthetically. I am 46, but am not ready for mom/ grand ma shoes just yet- if I can help it. I would much rather be able to stand and walk then be sitting in pretty shoes tho, lol, thinking about it.

Old 12-04-21, 08:25 PM  
Bluebelle

i had to size up 1/2 too. The salesperson had me go up 1 whole size and it was too big. I kept getting the wrong & both my Mom & my sister ended up with new sneakers. Definitely try a 1/2 size up. I can make all the difference. My shoes are loose in the heals so I do a runner's tie and that helps.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat feet, pronate, shoes, workout shoes