Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-29-23, 09:01 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - Start Training for a Favorite Winter Sport - Extreme Hibernation 1/29

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-23, 09:49 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

It’s another cold one here - likely not to go outside for anything despite the sunshine out there . I got a message from the other orchid lady I had sold plants to this past fall - all my orchids were blooming! Yay! Happy to have happy new owners! I’ll have the basement growing room pretty much empty shortly - what a relief! Two metal tables to give away from down there, but doubt that will be hard to do. More putzing inside - likely I will vacuum the house (first time in several months, but yes, I sweep and wipe floors!). Tax forms are dribbling in right now so working on getting them put in my return.

Laura, 45 degrees? It’s merely -7 here right now - geesh! Glad your book is progressing! I wouldn’t think many deer would be in the park when they are working in it .

Vantreesta, I never tried boots with Gus, I’d think he’d be trying to pull them off all the time. I did like going out to the parks walking him as they didn’t use salt on those paths, unlike the streets and sidewalks around here - if he got salt on a paw, he wouldn’t use that foot. I’m looking forward to the gym room at my future place - I feel better doing jump roping in a place like that rather than risking marking my floors. My only step tracking is my iPhone - I was surprised to get a 9000+ day when I was shoveling my driveway! Hope you finish your jump rope challenge on Tuesday! I used to have long hair also (down to my waist), then cut it short after a chemistry experiment burped on it and melted away the length in college. I don’t think I have the thickness of hair any more to even attempt any length beyond a few inches. I was kind of staring at a red haired guy with a ponytail that was thicker than my hair ever was, despite his shaving off the sides and back of his head . There’s been no family reunions on either parent’s side in forever…. .

Paula, I think the deer were up in the hills to protect themselves against the wind - the wind chill here is in about the -20F range! The neighborhood dog sitter that took care of Gus did ask me to walk dogs for her, but this was in hip replacement days when I couldn’t do it - I’ve not heard anything from her lately to know if she still needs that. I think business has been hard on her as Covid has left lots of people working from home instead of the office, and I don’t see that changing much now. I do hope there’s some people with dogs moving into my co-op. My yoga teacher does talk about thumb stiffness being pretty common in older people - we do a lot of finger mobility exercises in her chair yoga class.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 01-29-23, 06:27 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks for getting us started, Anita. I'm sorry it's so cold. It may not come across on that end, but that's why I feel like I have air quotes around it whenever I use the word "cold" referring to temps here.

Today has been a quiet day. We attended church virtually this morning. I put some stuff away from the trip that has been sitting around. I worked on getting the mail together that I was going to do yesterday. And I worked on my book some. I'm up to 9500 words.

Anita - I didn't realize the construction was in the same place as the deer. I thought it was outside the park and they had fled into the park. You're really making progress on downsizing. Congrats on getting rid of orchids while making people happy.

Vantreesta - Congrats on the jump rope challenge. It sounds like the ideal cross between simple and engaging. I think your body has earned the rest of doing yoga!

Paula - It should be on the page when you go into Options. Here are some instructions. See if it works with your version:

In Outlook, go to File > Options. On the General page, look for Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office. Set the Office Theme to White and select the check box next to Never change the message background color. Select OK.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-23, 10:41 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 20 Cardio/Tone.

Groceries and food prep day for us. I baked two loaves of pear bread and made a large pot of lentil soup and have dough for two loaves of sourdough bread on my counter. Hopefully it will rise overnight and I'll bake them tomorrow. Gee it doesn't sound like much when I write it down but I'm tired.

Tomorrow a guy is coming to give us an estimate on replacing the flourscent lighting in our kitchen with recessed lighting. Should modernize the look of our kitchen.

Anita, Thanks for getting us started - again. And thanks to Laura for another good theme. Sounds like you are making great progress clearing your planting room. You might want to hang onto those metal tables you never know when a sturdy table will come in handy. Will you have a garage? Or one might work as a kitchen island or a laundry table? Our tax forms are dribbling in, unlike you I'm not working on them they are piling up on my desk. I'm impressed you had hair that long at any time. But wow! That accident sounds scary. I could never grow mine longer than my bra strap. My hair is fine, but it wasn't thin. It's thinner now but still fine.
I would love to find something that would help me keep the hair I have - my part is getting wider and wider. I'm glad those deer were able to find shelter in the hills. I hope your co-op has dog owners too, maybe you can make some friends with pets and enjoy them without having to own them. I'll have to check out finger mobility yoga - who knew that even existed.

Laura, thanks for the instructions - sadly I can't make them work. On my phone the only thing I have that's Outlook is an email account connected to the University. I only use it for business stuff and as a way to receive information from the campus. So if I click on the "O" on the screen, my email comes up - nothing else. I can't find a way to get into Options for Outlook. I don't have Microsoft Office on my phone and it's this email account where the background has gone black. I find the black background makes the emails so hard to read - at least for me.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-23, 08:35 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on going to the dentist this morning - have to take my antibiotics in about 45 minutes. Otherwise likely to be putzing - it’s still very cold out there - I hope my car starts!

Laura, yay on the book progress! I had kind of hoped to get rid of the orchids this summer, but this was a buyer that was interested back in October and we just made contact because she came up to the Twin Cities for the Winter Fair show about a mile away - they do an orchid show every winter. I do hope they make it safely to her house!

Paula, Nice to make those items from scratch - I’ve gotten to the point where 90+% of my food is simply heat and eat. I rarely make anything from scratch these days. Hope your lighting change works - you may have to do some patching in your ceiling. I’m looking forward to seeing the lighting put into the co-op units I’ll tour Wednesday - hope they aren’t a cold white shade - I prefer a more golden light. The only reason I can see to keep those tables is to have a rummage sale using them when the day comes, but frankly, I’ve been giving away or donating stuff pretty regularly without need for a sale here. I remember that chemistry accident - the reaction burped on my braids under where the face shield was protecting me. I rinsed them off and thought I’d be fine, but that evening I went swimming, did a flip turn and the braids dissolved off. I had a lab coat on so everything else was OK. Our chair yoga teacher does a lot of work with older people and incorporates some PT type exercises, not all traditional yoga.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 01-30-23, 06:32 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today was pretty good, normal! I went to the YMCA for the first time since before Christmas this morning. Then, I ran errands. This afternoon, I did some things in the kitchen including trying a recipe to oven roast tomatoes and cucumbers. I decided to try something new.

Today was supposed to be totally overcast, the first of four days in a row. But the sun came out around noon. That meant that Polly had a better afternoon outside.

Anita - It's good that getting rid of the orchids worked out, even if it wasn't on your schedule. That's the way it usually goes...

Paula - Ah, your phone! I was on my laptop when I answered. Then, it would be under Settings - Dark Mode. I don't know if you have Android or iPHone, so they are both below:

Android - Go to app Settings, and then, under Preferences, you'll see a Dark Theme toggle. Tapping into it, you have two options:

Dark Theme — Turn off Dark theme and it SHOULD stay off.

NOTE: Set by Battery Saver — Dark theme will turn on automatically when the device is in Battery Saver mode.

iPhone - If you're running iOS 13 or above, by default Outlook for iOS on version 4.5. 0 or higher will respond to the iOS system Dark Mode setting. If you want to change this, go to app Settings > Appearance, and then select either the Light or Dark option. (For me, it was under Display & Brightness instead of Appearance.)

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-30-23, 10:49 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Travis Eliot Foundations of Yin.

We met with a guy from the lighting company to go over what we wanted. It looks reasonable and we scheduled it for the 6th. Fingers crossed it looks good when it's done. I'm having them put a task light over the stove.

Cloudy day with some light rain on and off. I decided to work on taxes today and sunk down that rabbit hole for hours. I realized the sprendsheet I had designed and was using to track our deductible expenditures was not the best. I then ended up designing a new one and putting all the figures into that, then made one up for 2023. Somewhere in there DH came into the room asking "are we going to have lunch soon?" It was 2:00pm. I'd been lost in computerland. We walked to Carl's Jr for sandwiches because I didn't want to cook. Luckily, Carl's Jr is close because it began to rain soon after we headed out. Rained on our walk home too. May I just add the Carl's Jr Beyond Burger is pretty good.

Anita, I hope you're not feeling too bad after your dental procedure. I hope the women who came for the orchids I would hope she would bring some boxes to transport them. There must be ways that people who take their plants to show transport them safely. I do want white light in the kitchen because I think of yellow light as mood lighting. I will have a dimmer on the light switch. They will put in the lighting and texturing and get it ready for painting. We have to paint the ceiling or hire someone to do it. I suspect we'll end up hiring a painter rather than do it ourselves. I meant to look on YouTube for some sort of finger yoga or PT but forgot, my thumb is feeling much better today.

Laura, thanks for trying to help me. I have a Samsung Android phone. I found App Settings no problem but there isn't a listing for Preferences. DH did find the "Dark Theme" under some other heading and turned it off. But it doesn't turn it off in Outlook. I can't tell you how much I hate Outlook and wish the CSU System had choosen something else for their email program. Maybe it's not Outlook, maybe it's the CSU but it didn't happen to DH's Outlook email.
Old 01-31-23, 08:36 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Today is another cold freezing day - I’ll be going for an eye exam this morning. Otherwise might stop by a grocery store. It’ll be warming up by the weekend - I’ll go for walks in that warm weather.

Laura, I’ve never herd of roasted cucumbers - how were they? Glad Polly enjoyed the sunny weather outside .

Paula, Good luck getting your lighting put in! I think I finished taxes, but still holding on in case something comes in the mail that I didn’t already get from online. I’m hoping 2023 will be a standard deduction year. I think the woman coming for the orchids will bring boxes - I do have bags she can cover them with also. Glad your thumb is feeling better! Our yoga teacher says that’s a common problem in older women.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 01-31-23, 07:17 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a dreary, rainy, cool, foggy, miserable day here today. (And, it was still better than Anita's area where's it's RIDICULOUSLY cold!) I did a pick-up at Wegmans this morning and went to my infusion this afternoon. I ran a couple of errands on the way home from that. I'm kinda out of it tonight, but not as bad as sometimes after an infusion.

Anita - I hadn't either! I had both tomatoes and cucumbers and decided to try a recipe to roast tomatoes. I looked at the mini cucumbers I had and wondered if it would work on them. So I sliced them, put them on the pan, and sprinkled the same stuff on them as was called for the tomatoes. I cooked them for 5 minutes and then left them on the heated pan for a while and they turned out pretty good. I enjoyed having a mixture today of both tomatoes and cucumbers.

Paula - One more thing and then I'll never speak of this again. Did you reboot your phone after turning off the Dark Mode? It probably wouldn't work, but you never know with rebooting. It's probably something to do with the system, as you said. That's really getting lost in the taxes! It sounds like you got a lot done. It was nice you could get out and get some air and movement after all that - along with the food.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-31-23, 09:55 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 22 Push (strength) followed by Sarah Starr Chair yoga Morning Refresh.

It was windy and cold (for here) today. DH went to lunch with a friend so I went for a pedicure and did some shopping. I didn't enjoy shopping because it was cold, windy, and none of the stores I went into had a single pair of corduroy pants. I read corduroys were back in and silently cheered - I love corduroy pants. They are as comfortable as jeans but you don't look like someone who wears jeans all the time. But the stores must not have gotten the memo because I didn't see a single pair anywhere. I really need to replace a couple of my jeans and didn't want another pair of jeans. Of course I want something comfortable and casual.

Anita, I was able to get our taxes about 95% done. I'm waiting on one statement, maybe two. Once they come in I'm done. I'm pretty sure will be going with the standard deduction. I feel like a baby moaning about the cold here when you're area is really cold and actually has snow.
I'd never heard of roasted cucumbers either. I roast veggies soemtimes but never tried cucumbers - I may have to give it a go.

Laura, how do you roast cucumbers? Do you have an air fryer? I love roasted veggies but haven't made them in a long time, I should do that again soon. Sadly yes, I did shut down the phone and restart it. I've tried that a couple times when I thought I'd hit the magic button to turn off the black background. Please do mention it again if you think of anything that might work. If you're like me, these things sometimes hit you in the middle of the night.