Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-10, 07:52 AM  
lilmonkey2

Yep, I have the same problem when I do high impact stuff too, and my youngest is 5.
lilmonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 07:59 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

It happens. I had the worst trouble after my 4th baby--more feeling like everything was very loose and might fall out when exercising. It takes awhile to heal sometimes. I say do kegels and squats.
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 08:14 AM  
Kimberly33

Here is an interesting dialogue between Katy Says (from the link above) and "The Kegel Queen". Provides some nice discussion of squatting vs. kegels. The comments are interesting, too.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 09:22 AM  
Jean@125

I am totally perplexed with this issue of leakage. I started jogging back in May and had no problems but yet the last two runs I have done it has been terrible. I actually left the track in embarrassment because it was showing as I had no pad because it was totally unexpected! My babies are in their early twenties! I wore a pad last run but the bulk surely takes the fun out of it.
Jean@125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 12:29 PM  
momof10

I have had ten children. I gave birth vaginally and have never had incontinence. I can do a hundred jumping jacks and tons of high impact and plyometrics with no leakage at all. All my babies were between 8 and 10 pounds, too. I have always attributed it to the fact that I work my pelvic floor daily by doing squats and lunges and bridges. While I do these exercises, I hold tight in that area also. So I agree, do squats and lunges. I do not do keels, since I am strong enough in that area!!!

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 12:51 PM  
hotncmom

Well, I will share too. I've had 2 children and my last pregnancy it felt like DD sat on my bladder the entire time. But I didn't have any problems post-pregnancy until I started to train for a 1/2 marathon, and by that time DD was 3 years old. At first I thought I was having frequent UTI's. It derailed my training, I had to drop out when I hit my 7 mile weekly run. I went through several rounds of antibiotics, etc. The "bladder infections" ceased when I stopped running, but I became incontinent with sneezing and jumping. I would go to the bathroom, empty my bladder, get on a treadmill and start running, and immediately feel like I had to go again.

Finally I pursued treatment at a urologist's office, which ended up being very expensive. After the standard in-office tests found nothing, they set me up for a CAT scan. After our deductible and 20% coinsurance (for in-network), it was still a lot of money. The CAT scan found nothing. So all those doctor visits and tests and money and I still didn't have an answer. Well, actually I found out that I had never had bladder infections, or UTI's. The closest diagnosis they had for me was interstitial cystitis, but they couldn't prove it because the inside of my bladder didn't look irritated and raw. So I have irritable bladder or interstitial cystitis but there's not really anything they can do. I tried one of the meds, but it gave me terrible constipation and dry mouth so I didn't want to stay on it.

Long story short, the only running I do these days is 1 minute intervals. Running still makes me feel like I have to pee, so I can't do it very long. The sneeze/jump incontinence comes and goes, sometimes better, sometimes worse. I take Aloe Vera tablets every day to coat the bladder. I take a product called Prelief from time to time because at one point it seemed there was a link between my problem and acidic foods. If I feel like I am having an "attack" (feels like a UTI coming on), 1 tsp. of baking soda in a glass of water is an emergency measure.

I don't think my problem is a pelvic floor issue...but it can't hurt to strengthen it.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 02:35 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

It would seem that one thing I find on most (or all) barre workouts is tucking your tail in (the Bar Method tuck) and here Katy is saying stick it out...same with Chalene in CLX. And strengthen those glutes...I'm willing to try that. What I'm leery about is spending money to learn to do kegels the "correct" way. Don't know about the "Down There" dvd just yet. So I'll just see where the squatting and lunging does for me...so far it does seem to be helping
Old 09-26-10, 04:20 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

This is all very interesting to me. I never had a "leakage" or incontinence problem until maybe a year or so ago. it's not severe, but it was non-existent before. I always did squats and lunges before with Firm and Slim Series type of workouts. I've been doing pilates and barre mainly over the past year. Never made the connection before but it's definitely something to think about.

And you Go, momof10. Inspiring.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 04:54 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Carmee, you reminded me: I didn't have the leakage issues until the past few years. Certainly not anytime after delivering our daughters (ages 31 and almost 33 now). I wasn't doing barre workouts or Pilates that much when it started...

Momof10, you are an inspiration...and one blessed mom Your "secret" (squats and lunges and bridges) is interesting...I like it
Old 09-26-10, 05:00 PM  
Jean@125

That's interesting I just recently went back to ab crunches too.
What are bridges?
Jean@125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
incontinence, interstitial cystitis, postnatal, postpartum, uti