Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-18, 08:39 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

LovaVA would you say the bone density machine is comparable to using gym weight machines?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 09:00 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
LovaVA would you say the bone density machine is comparable to using gym weight machines?

The web site below has a picture of each of the 4 exercises: leg press, chest press, core pull, deadlift. So I guess it's kind of like using gym weight machines. The way my instructor explained it to me is that the machine basically mimics the last part of several typical strength exercises you do.

http://www.great-bones.com/Services.html

It also shows exercises that you can do on the Power Plate. My instructor has me do things like squats, upright rows, small jumping jacks, curls while standing on the power plate as it vibrates. She will also have me put my forearms on the plate as it vibrates and my legs on the floor to do planks.

The biodensity machine's first exercise you do is the chest press. Well, think about how far back your elbows are when you start a chest press. The biodensity machine starting position is that last bit before you reach full extension, where most of the strength work is believed to occur. You push forward as hard as you physically can and hold that position for 5 seconds.

Leg press: same thing. Your starting position on the biodensity machine is that last bit of a leg press (or when you do squats) before full extension. Push as hard as you can and hold for 5 seconds. You are able to exert a force load many multiples of your own body weight and in a safer manner than you ever could with weights. Like I said, just yesterday I put a force load of 1,300+ lbs during leg press.

Deadlift: same concept. Your starting position is that last bit of a deadlift before you are fully upright. You start with your legs slightly bent and then drive upward as hard as you can and hold that for 5 second.

Core Pull: You might not be able to see in the picture, but your legs are strapped down with a belt for that one. You push up with your legs and pull down with your arms at the same time as hard as you can. Hold for 5 seconds.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 10:39 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you. It sounds like a wonderful contraption. Maybe some day we'll get one where I live.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 11:22 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

How much does a session cost?

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 01:03 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
How much does a session cost?
Where I go, it's $50 a session (so $50/week). But that's where I go. Different wellness centers in different states/areas are going to charge differently. I'm sure many places are cheaper, but this is the closest place to me.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 06:29 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

There's a place with a bone density machine near me. I'm hesitant because I had scoliosis as a child & had rods inserted in my spine to correct the curve. Not sure the vibrating would be good for me.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 07:39 PM  
nevertoolate

Wow! Thank you all for sharing your opinions and experience. My Internet has been down, so I'm behind in responding. I want to comment on many of your posts. You all are so helpful. Tomorrow I have an appointment to talk with my primary care doctor, who will be the third physician in recent weeks attempting to convince me to take a bisphosphonate for my osteoporosis. They have their protocol to follow. However, after reviewing my resources again, I'm still against doing so. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll be back. And thanks again.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-18, 09:31 AM  
LALakersfan

This is such a timely thread for me too! Those of you that are on estrogen are you on an oral pill Evista (Raloxifene) or the Estradiol patch? Is Estrace also an oral form prescribed for osteoporosis? I do not want to go on any form of bisphosphonates and I know that is what my doc is going to recommend. Pretty disheartening as I've tried to do everything right with exercise, supplements of calcium, magnesium and K2 and good diet.
Old 08-15-18, 12:16 PM  
mandie123

I've been on bio-dentical hormones for 6 months(pellets) to see if it makes a difference.I refuse to take the drugs
Old 08-15-18, 02:29 PM  
bevatron

My mother had Prolia injections for 18 months at about 86 to 88 years old. The side effects were horrific for her, huge red blotches on her face, it looked like she was beaten. She refused to go out and since I took care of her, I know people wondered what I was doing. The skin around her mouth and chin turned to leather. No amount of creams helped. Finally found a dermatologist prescribed cream that toned it down.

This showed up months after 2nd injection and we didn't make a connection until after her third shot. That's when it got really bad and we figured it out. Her male doc downplayed side effects, but there wasn't much more traumatizing to mom than having her face destroyed and unrecognizable. Stopping prolia let her skin return to normal.

She refused any more shots and has had serious mental and physical deterioration since then, she is now 90. I wish any of the osteo meds could have helped, but the side effects were too rough. I know she also couldn't tolerate the pills either.
bevatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioidentical hormones, bisphosphonates, bone loss, osteopenia, osteoporosis