Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-18, 10:11 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have osteopenia. I'd like to recommend two books that give a more balanced perspective on bone loss:

The Myth of Osteoporosis by Gillian Sanson

Dr. Lani's No-Nonsense Bone Health Guide by Dr. Lani Simpson

I was on estrogen/progesterone for a few years and it did help my bones. But, with my family history, ongoing hormone use feels ill-advised. I've never had a bone fracture.

I eat well and lift weights. Still, there is bone loss. I have an extremely sensitive stomach and won't/can't take these bone drugs. I wouldn't want to have the shot because if you have any ill effects, there is no going back.

There are numerous protocols for maintaining bones and avoiding loss. Weight-lifting, yoga, rebounding, plyometrics, etc. They may work well for some, but are not a cure-all for everyone. Some are not even appropriate for everyone depending on their joint health.

My current strategy is to do daily balance work. I mean every single day. This reduces the risk of falls. I wear boring shoes. (No strappy sandals or high heels.) We have night lights in our home so we can hopefully avoid tripping over the cats. You can find other strategies online.

Please look for the above-mentioned books. I wish you well!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 11:36 AM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

I'm 67 and have been taking fosamax for a little over 3 years. I'd slipped into osteopenia - spine and hip - about 6 years ago and was able to get my spine back into normal range and improve my hip density with exercise and vit d/calcium supplements. That lasted for a few years but then my hip scan slipped to osteoporosis a few years back. That's when I started taking fosamax. My most recent scan was normal in the spine and my hip had improved enough to be dx'd as osteopenia. I'm continuing to take the fosamax for the time being. My mother, who is in her early 90's, had a fracture in her lower spine 6 months ago. She thinks she got it picking up a basket of laundry - so falling isn't the only risk factor. She'd had osteoporosis for years and took a calcium and massive vit d supplement her dr. recommended. The fracture had a huge impact on her health and after several months in a rehab center, she moved to assisted living rather than return home. I know there are risks either way but after seeing my grandmother and mother suffer in their later years I'm willing to take my chances with a bisphosphonate.

ETA: I take the weekly alendronate 70 MG tablet. I'm not aware of any side effects and I had a tooth extraction last year without any complications.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 12:31 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
...My mother, who is in her early 90's, had a fracture in her lower spine 6 months ago. She thinks she got it picking up a basket of laundry - so falling isn't the only risk factor.
That's so true. My grandmother broke her hip getting out of a chair. She was in her 80's and was never an active person.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 08-11-18, 12:51 PM  
rhbrand

Many elderly, esp females, break their hips first, which causes them to fall.

I've witnessed it first hand. Woman at the nursing home stood up, I saw her, heard the crack, and she tried to take a step , and down she went.

So no, they don't always fall and break their hips. Often they will break a hip, then fall.
Old 08-11-18, 01:48 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Thanks for the ideas all. I have been reading 'Vitamin K2 And The Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life'
I will also look at the two books mentioned by Vintage VFer.
Not sure yet about bioidentical. A little family history here.
Old 08-11-18, 02:52 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
I'm 67 and have been taking fosamax for a little over 3 years. I'd slipped into osteopenia - spine and hip - about 6 years ago and was able to get my spine back into normal range and improve my hip density with exercise and vit d/calcium supplements. That lasted for a few years but then my hip scan slipped to osteoporosis a few years back. That's when I started taking fosamax. My most recent scan was normal in the spine and my hip had improved enough to be dx'd as osteopenia. I'm continuing to take the fosamax for the time being. My mother, who is in her early 90's, had a fracture in her lower spine 6 months ago. She thinks she got it picking up a basket of laundry - so falling isn't the only risk factor. She'd had osteoporosis for years and took a calcium and massive vit d supplement her dr. recommended. The fracture had a huge impact on her health and after several months in a rehab center, she moved to assisted living rather than return home. I know there are risks either way but after seeing my grandmother and mother suffer in their later years I'm willing to take my chances with a bisphosphonate.

ETA: I take the weekly alendronate 70 MG tablet. I'm not aware of any side effects and I had a tooth extraction last year without any complications.
Good to know Wanda! I think it's a small percentage but I would not comfortable taking it. Mostly because I have seen the effects and 1 was pretty extreme.
pgun3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 05:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Sooner or later we all have to make tough choices and then have to live with the results, good or bad.

The worst part is when the *&(#^$% insurance companies force you into a position where they are making choices for you. Not you. Not your doctor.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 08-13-18, 08:46 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
If you are in your 50s or early 60s, estrogen and progesterone are the way to go. I've been on continuous estrogen/prog since I was in my 40s (early menopause) and my bone density is better than a 30 year old. I'm 61 currently. Both mom and grandma had severe osteoporosis with fractures of wrists and vertebra. Its highly hereditary so I am very pleased with my protection regiman. Oh and no hot flashes either and many other benefits to my lady parts. By the way, I am a retired MD. The data on estrogen use in women has been re-studied with further follow up and it is NOT the kiss of death that was first told to women years ago. A lot of women went off their estrogen and are now paying the price with osteoporotic fractures. Its now approved as a second line of therapy for osteoporosis.
My experience too. I went through early menopause at 32 and have been on HRT ever since (age 54 now). My bone scans have always been great, and I credit that to exercise for sure but primarily to being on HRT.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 02:44 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in my L hip several years ago. HRT after menopause improved my numbers slightly, but I had to discontinue because I started getting cysts in my breasts. They were both benign, but I couldn't handle the mammogram call-backs every year & the biopsies!

I tried Actonel once. I have ongoing GI issues anyway, so I was VERY careful in taking it according to the directions. It still set off weeks of GI distress, so that was a no-go for me. But I also had a reaction I wasn't expecting: a strange weakness all over. I could barely walk. Fortunately, that only lasted for that day; the next day I was fine. However, if you read some of the stories of women who have had bad reactions to the bisphosphonates, their symptoms are severe versions of that (debilitating weakness, joint pain & neurological symptoms) and these symptoms do not always go away. One woman said, "I can't imagine that breaking a hip is worse than what I'm going through."

Doc talked me into going to a rheumatologist last year. He wanted to prescribe Prolia (twice a year injection) & I agreed. Unfortunately, my insurance wouldn't cover UNLESS I did 2 years of Forteo daily injections first. I didn't want to do that so just kept up with the calcium & vit D.

My latest scan shows worsening numbers despite calcium & vit D & the decades of strength training I've done. Doc suggested Reclast, which is a once a year bisphosphonate, prescribed by an endocrinologist. Well, after my Actonel experience, I'm not eager to get a year's dose of that class of drug all at once!

So...I guess I'll up my calcium & vit D (although now I've read that calcium supplementation is correlated to increased cardiovascular events). Eager to read the books...thanks for the recommendations.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-18, 08:22 AM  
LoveVA

I also recommend the Myth of Osteoporosis.

Has anyone tried the BioDensity machine?

http://biodensity.com/

The biodensity site will give you locations near you that have the machine.

http://www.orthospinenews.com/2016/0...-bone-density/

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ic-ascend-says

https://www.abqjournal.com/419004/os...bone-loss.html

It's a once-a-week session, 4 exercises, each exercise lasts for 5 seconds each. I was lucky enough to find a place near me that has one of these machines.

I went through early menopause and am doing a biodensity session once a week. We start with a short workout session on a vibrating plate before doing the biodensity machine. I started in May. I've seen noticeable strength gains when doing my other strength workouts and am eager to see what my dexa scans show later this year after I've done this for 6 months. I do strength training 3 times a week and I count biodensity as one workout, so I do my regular strength DVDs 2 more times in the week.

For example, for the leg press, I am putting a force load of 1,300 pounds on my legs. No way I could do that with dumbbells or a barbell. I would be surprised if I haven't triggered some bone regrowth. I'll find out later this year.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioidentical hormones, bisphosphonates, bone loss, osteopenia, osteoporosis