Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-14, 08:42 AM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Not OT - Hip Osteoporosis

Okay, so I've been diagnosed with osteoporosis in one hip and osteopenia in the other. Though my doctor is wanting me to try Boniva or Fosamax, I'm a bit hesitant in doing so because of the potential side effects.

So I've decided I possibly need to change my workout emphasis around...my immediate thought is to start incorporating more weighted squats and lunges. But then I did a youtube search and there seem to be alot of good floor exercises that can be done for the hips also (i.e. the clam with a weight, side lying left lifts with a weight). Personally, I'm not a great fan of squats/lunges so if I can build up my bone by doing floor exercises, I'm all for it!

Are there any good workouts out there that have great floor exercises for something like this?

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:46 AM  
mandie123

I was diagnosed with Osteo in hip 8 years ago.My gyn tried to scare me into taking meds,saying even a simple fall could break a hip(I've fallen a few time since right on my hip and it was fine.)I did attend a group there to learn all about the meds,met a woman there who had one of the really bad side effects from the med. That's when I decided I'd rather just keep on working out than risk that! I also try to add in floor exercises,ie clams with band and weighted bridges alot.
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 09:57 AM  
mandie123

Strong stride has some good floor work.I think great weighted workout by karen voight? Hopefully someone else will have more ideas
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 10:09 AM  
Sandrine

Hi, Terri,
How do you feel about the older ("Benson-era") Firms? Specifically, Sculpted Buns, Hips and Thighs (which was originally called "Lie Down and Work out") and Lower Body Sculpting (originally called "Floor legs") come to mind.

Also, I did a rotation of Firm Classics vols. 1,2, and 3, several years ago, and remember noting that it seemed to strengthen my upper leg muscles and "slim" my hips a bit, which might suggest that it would work the muscles in that area.

I second Mandie's suggestion of GWW, just because it's a good workout.

Hope this helps,
Sandrine
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 10:17 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandie123 View Post
Strong stride has some good floor work.I think great weighted workout by karen voight? Hopefully someone else will have more ideas
These two DVDs have to toughest floor work I've ever done. Also, Ballet Beautiful Total Body Workout has killer floor work.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 10:23 AM  
sherry7899

Margaret Richard has great floorwork. She just had a sale on her site - all dvds $14.95. I am not sure if that sale is still on.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 11:08 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I've recently started incorporating weighted glute raises/bridges to my workouts. Kelly Coffey-Meyer has them in her new Muscle Up workout. I like them because they are easy on the knees and one can go fairly heavy. There are several demo videos on YouTube. Brett Contreras recommends then in his book, "Strong Curves."

Of course, squats and dead-lifts are great for the hips.

There are some good threads here of VF re: osteopenia, osteoporosis and bone loss in general.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 12:06 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

at what age is the baseline test for bone density?

i've been told by my gyn that i'm not quite there yet - he said age 60 is the point. i've got an HMO for a medical plan where they encourage early prevention and proaction. i asked a while ago - i suppose i could call my HMO and find out.

in addition to all of the suggestions so far, slim series Firm It Up has some great floor work that weights could easily be added to.

Terry - thanks for starting this thread and thanks to all of the replies.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 02:54 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Jeannine, I had a baseline bone density around age 50. I don't even remember if my insurance covered it, but I wanted one so I had it done. It showed no bone loss at that point. I had another one after a broken wrist at age 55 and it showed mild osteopenia. My doctor advised against the bone meds like Fosamax or Boniva because of the side effects.

She told me that I should keep doing what I'm doing... heavy weight bearing exercise, running and my daily calcium supplement. Heredity, ethnicity, frame size and body weight all have a bearing on whether you are more prone to have bone density issues.

I also do the weighted glute raises. And the gym I belong to has some awesome machines for squats. I can squat triple or quadruple the amount I can at home with my barbell that I have to raise over my head and onto my shoulders.
Old 12-06-14, 02:57 PM  
prettyinpink

Plyometric moves are also good for strengthening bones. KCM has a good plyo workout on her Cardio Blast DVD. The jumps are slow and controlled. I'm sure there are other good choices.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone loss, osteopenia, osteoporosis