Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-13, 05:03 PM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Media mail is a lot cheaper than Priority, but it takes longer. If you don't want to use media mail, you can use first class, but anything weighing over 13 ounces is too heavy for first class and would have to go priority. (I ship a lot of packages )
I'm pretty sure you can only use media mail for packages containing ONLY media products (books, DVDs, etc.) If you put anything else in the package (pens, socks, lipgloss, or even just a card!), I don't think you can use media mail. At least that's what my post office tells me.
Old 11-19-13, 05:08 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaDeb View Post
I'm pretty sure you can only use media mail for packages containing ONLY media products (books, DVDs, etc.) If you put anything else in the package (pens, socks, lipgloss, or even just a card!), I don't think you can use media mail. At least that's what my post office tells me.
Yeah, mine asks me "No correspondence?" before shipping a media maili pkg for me.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-13, 07:41 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
I guess they are just used to me, lol. I mailed a box today and they just asked me if I wanted media or 1st class this time. I said media and they didn't say anything else. I guess it just depends. - I think they have asked me before though.

As for my job as Santa, I still have a few more goodies to hunt up and am waiting on something to come in before I mail. Having to do things as I can.- When is the postmark deadline again? I hate to have to make my giftee have to wait, but .....
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-13, 08:23 PM  
sherry7899

They don't ask anything at my post office. I'm sorry for providing the wrong information. I meant to say to use "parcel post" if anything besides dvds/books are in the package.

The mailing deadline is December 5th or 6th.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-13, 09:10 PM  
Fit Gal

It usually cheaper to buy postage online and print out a shipping label. The pain is you have to kinda be sure of how much it weighs. You can print shipping labels on usps.com or through paypal if you have a paypal account.
Fit Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-13, 09:58 PM  
IrishOT

DejaDeb= I just wanted to comment on how beautiful your cat is. I have a soft spot for calicos!
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-13, 04:47 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit Gal View Post
It usually cheaper to buy postage online and print out a shipping label. The pain is you have to kinda be sure of how much it weighs. You can print shipping labels on usps.com or through paypal if you have a paypal account.
This is true here too, but only for national mail. International postage prices are the same online and at the post office.

I have had some frustrating situations with the people at one of our post offices who don't seem to know all the different limitations. They've charged me double for sending a book as "media mail" and didn't suggest the cheaper "book mail". They don't know that you can send a little package of up to 500 grams to an international destination as an "air letter" (I don't blame them, it's confusing, but it's their job to know!). I've learned to do my own research before going to the post office!

I mailed my box today
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-13, 11:41 AM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
They don't ask anything at my post office. I'm sorry for providing the wrong information. I meant to say to use "parcel post" if anything besides dvds/books are in the package.
No problem, Sherry! I think it just depends on "who you get" at the post office window. When I go to someone who knows me, they usually ask, "whatever is cheaper, right?" When I go to someone new and ask for the media mail rate, they have asked me (more like threatened me) "you realize this can be opened for inspection." I respond, "as long as you tape it back up!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishOT View Post
DejaDeb= I just wanted to comment on how beautiful your cat is. I have a soft spot for calicos!
Thank you! Mia is a rescue kitty who joined our family last Christmas. She loves her humans (although she's not crazy about her fellow kitties), and she's a wonderful lap cat! She sits on her perch in the exercise room and watches me do cardio -- but the minute I move to the floor for mat work, she jumps down and tries to climb all over me. That's usually where my workout ends, LOL!
Old 11-20-13, 12:58 PM  
Rhonda

Quote:
I went to a different post office than I usually go to and was mailing books and the person said I had to go media. I said why if I want to ship first class. The other post office tells me I can ship first class/priority if needed. So she went to her supervisor and she was told what I told her. She said boy they need to straighten this out because she was told all books had to go media the day before. She wasn't very happy with me but hey, I am not a huge fan of media but do use it.

So I guess it depends on which post office and who you get

Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-13, 09:46 PM  
IrishOT

Quote:
Originally posted by DejaDeb
Thank you! Mia is a rescue kitty who joined our family last Christmas. She loves her humans (although she's not crazy about her fellow kitties), and she's a wonderful lap cat! She sits on her perch in the exercise room and watches me do cardio -- but the minute I move to the floor for mat work, she jumps down and tries to climb all over me. That's usually where my workout ends, LOL!
Our calico, Pickles is a rescue also and she loves to cuddle. She also sits and watches me exercise and when it gets to the stretching she climbs on me and makes herself comfortable. We did try to adopt another cat, but it didn't go so well and the other cat was terribly territorial. I have heard that calicos sometimes have difficulty getting along with other cats in their own space. She gets a bit antsy if one of the barn cats from one of the local farms makes its way into her sight from the window!
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday exchange 2013, holiday exchange thanks, holiday thanks