Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-15, 04:45 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Old thread alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Here are a few osteoporosis exercise dvds I know of. I have done Rebekkah's and like it. It has chapters. I have also done Mirabai's, but they are too easy for me and I think, a little boring. I think she has some others also which may be more fun. Susie Hathaway is an instructor trained in teaching safe exercises to ostoporosis clients and posts on the inspire forum ( You have to register to read or post to their forum). susiehathaway-answers-your-exercise-questions/

'Pilates for Buff Bones' - Rebekkah Rothstein
'Pilates Exercises for Osteoporosis' - Sherri Betz
'Fabulous Forever Easy Strength' - Mirabai Holland
'Moving Free Longevity Solution Strength Level 1' - Mirabai Holland
'Skeletal Fitness' - Mirabai Holland
'Safe Strength Training for Osteoporosis Prevention' - Susie Hathaway
'Strong Women: Preventing Osteoporosis' - Miriam Nelson

Sara Meeks has a booklet, 'Walk Tall', which has safe exercises especially good for the frail. Another similar booklet is
'Exercises for Osteoporosis: A Safe and Effective Way to Build Bone Density and Muscle Strength', Revised Edition... by Dianne Daniels and Peter Field Peck. I think at least one good book on form for osteoporosis exercises would be of great help.
I recently bought 'Safe Strength Training for Osteoporosis Prevention' by Susie Hathaway from your suggestion list.

I don't have osteoporosis, but do have osteopenia. This is a really good workout. She goes very slow and you can heavy up. I should write a review, but I'm too lazy.

Thanks, Hattie!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-15, 06:48 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I recently bought 'Safe Strength Training for Osteoporosis Prevention' by Susie Hathaway from your suggestion list.

I don't have osteoporosis, but do have osteopenia. This is a really good workout. She goes very slow and you can heavy up. I should write a review, but I'm too lazy.

Thanks, Hattie!
I was just diagnosed with osteopenia myself, I think I will continue with Kathy Smith's Total Body Turnaround Circuit Training segment.

Uh, instead of babying my shoulders; which is what I've increasingly been doing (before the first I've heard of this diagnosis). My osteopenia was found to be localized—in my lower back. But most of that circuit Kathy Smith presented taxes back endurance ... and, I tend to modify what she does ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-15, 09:59 PM  
bfit

There's a DVD called Safe and Strong that I've used when I've been injured. It has a warm up, toning with weights and band, some balance work, and a stretch. One of the participants does everything in a chair, and the instructor and the other participant are standing. It's all very slow and basic. There are also some older Leslie Sansone workouts called Short Cuts Upper Body and Short Cuts Lower Body. They were originally on VHS and now I think in order to get them on DVD you have to buy one of her compilations. At any rate, the upper body work is all seated in a chair. The lower body work is all floor work. Again, it's slow and basic.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-15, 03:46 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

My mom is 78, with osteoporosis and COPD. She has NEVER exercised. She recently hurt her knee and is doing her rehab exercises. Her doctor recommended a PBS show "Sit and Be Fit" specifically for seniors. I think it's gentle strength training, along with a lot of joint mobility. Some gentle balance work and eye coordination exercises are included. My mom gets a real big kick out of being able to do the stuff. There are DVDs available of past episodes. Highly recommended! Some of it sounds so much fun, and valuable, that I'm thinking of getting one for myself.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 08:17 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I had noticed this thread and even read some of the recent posts. Then, this morning, I realized it was one had started. haha Nothing wrong with any of this - I'm just clueless sometimes.

I ended up getting my mother-in-law a couple of the Sit & Be Fit DVDs and she really liked them. She used them for a long time, probably still does.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 11:58 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I had noticed this thread and even read some of the recent posts. Then, this morning, I realized it was one had started. haha Nothing wrong with any of this - I'm just clueless sometimes.

I ended up getting my mother-in-law a couple of the Sit & Be Fit DVDs and she really liked them. She used them for a long time, probably still does.
So funny. I didn't realize this was old. I was gonna recommend this website:
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QK6gM...SUy9do7FVDkQ== (they have a lot of free content on youtube as well. I think under Yoga JP and also Yoga Vista Academy.

Also, http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008NEVOU...I1BYYB776VOQLT Relax into Yoga for Seniors was one that interested my for a while when going thru a lot of stuff. I was never able to get it, but clips on youtube look good, and it has a good bit of content.

I'm glad you were able to keep your MIL moving! I hope she is doing much better now.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 09:02 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post

I didn't realize this was an old thread either! I'm glad your MIL likes the Sit & Be Fit DVDs.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-15, 03:26 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

Thanks, Hattie!
And I also thank you, Hattie (and Vintage VFer for reviving the thread)!

I got this workout and just did it. Because the pace is so slow, you can lift heavy and really challenge yourself. Susie has excellent form and gives good form pointers. Aside from these other pluses, Susie has got to be in her 60s and she's a real model of healthy aging. I'm 59 and I'm looking for instructors like her.

This workout made me realize how quick the pace is on most other weight training workouts I have. That means it's easy to use momentum. On this workout, you can't. (Well, of course you can, but that means the weights are way too light, which Susie mentions frequently.)

I consider myself a perennial intermediate. Most of the weighted exercises were 10 reps, so I tried to choose weights that were challenging enough to cause fatigue by the 10th rep.

The workout is 50 minutes long and is meant to be done 2 times/week. I'll probably do it 3 times/week. There isn't any chaptering within the workout. Since I like full-body workouts, this is fine with me. The music is completely unmemorable. Basically, this workout will have little appeal to people who want great production values, but the content is gold.

Susie has a couple of other workouts available, which I will check into. I'm very glad to have discovered her. Thanks, Hattie and Vintage VFer.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-15, 10:29 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

You're welcome, Betsy!

(I'm not sure if Hattie has read this thread lately.)
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mirabai holland, miriam nelson, osteopenia, osteoporosis, peggy cappy, seated yoga, senior exercise, seniors, susie hathaway, suzie hathaway