Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-11, 05:58 PM  
warriorprincess

Thank you Alta!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 04:23 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post

Here's a useful source that goes into some of the confusion re: osteoporosis, and especially osteopenia as a disease (it's not!): Myth of Osteoporosis
I want to thank the VFers who recommended this book. I got the first edition out of the library and it is blowing my mind. There's so much research and common sense in the book it's amazing. I am not going to do anything other than taking my supplements religiously (I admit I never took a one!) and doing things through diet and exercise, like I have been.

And, as an aside, I looked at my scan results and I grew half an inch *taller* in between them.
Old 10-04-11, 09:17 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Just a tip on your calcium, my endo advised me to break mine in half and take 500 with breakfast and the other 500 later in the day. His clinical observations when I asked "Why?" was "Because you pee it out."

He also tests my D levels. He put me on a protocol that is surprisingly high and I won't reference the dosage here but I finally got my D levels within the acceptable range. Just wanted to point out that some of us really need a physician monitoring Vit. D levels if there is a risk of osteoporosis.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 11:31 AM  
videofit

Osteopenia is one of the many, many normal (depressing) processes of aging related to hormone loss. Nature's way of getting rid of the non-breeders. Doesn't mean it can't nor shouldn't be fixed. I take bioidentical hormones and that seems to have solved the problem. I always took calcium and exercised and it didn't stop me from getting it, nor the progression. There is a large genetic component as well.
Old 10-04-11, 05:19 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Just a tip on your calcium, my endo advised me to break mine in half and take 500 with breakfast and the other 500 later in the day. His clinical observations when I asked "Why?" was "Because you pee it out."
...The reason for why that'll happen is your body can only absorb a maximum of 500mg of calcium at a time, so taking a dose higher than 500mg is pointless.

Of course, what form your calcium is in makes a huge difference to how bioavailable it is. But this is turning into supplement talk, so I'll leave it. PM me if you have any questions.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-11, 04:02 PM  
acescholar

I wanted to thank Yogapam, SharonNYC and others who recommended Loren Fishman's book -- I have found the illustration of poses in particular to be an excellent resource. It's actually the kind of thing I was looking for to simply describe good form.

Three levels are shown, and although they are labeled in terms of bone density, they are also helpful simply in terms of increasing levels of strength and flexibility. Props are also suggested (eg. with down dog, the pose starts off with a chair). There is a strong emphasis on the flat back, and I was really helped getting a safe and nicely done child's pose (with hips a bit spread and back stretched flat). I have always thought the rounded back in the child's pose that many instructors do isn't good for my back.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 11:09 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
The Myth of Osteoporosis is an excellent book, and very comforting.
I am resurrecting this thread and would like to hear more about people's experiences with osteoporosis and osteopenia. I haven't been diagnosed but seem to have lost a couple of inches in height recently. Since I just changed doctors I don't think the new one realized the change when I had my other
tests done.

Anyway, I am reading the book - there is a recent edition out - it seems really good. It should have been called the mythsof Osteoporosis IMO. BTW it is available free with Kindle Unlimited on Amazon - you get a one month free trial.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 01:31 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Hi Sara! At the time of my last bone scan (2009), I was just barely into osteoporosis range in lumbar region, with osteopenia in one hip. My primary doc has osteopenia (only) listed in my medical records and has not ordered a bone scan since that time, so I don't know whether my numbers have improved.

I got two second opinions after diagnosis--one from an internist and one from an alternative doc, and neither thought my numbers were bad enough for pharmaceutical intervention (which I'm determined to avoid anyway).

After my diagnosis, I changed my diet and supplement regime and have maintained that protocol ever since. Lately, after an extended period of slacking off, I'm back to strength training. I did lose a little height (about 3/4 inch) after going through menopause.

Over what span of time did you lose a couple of inches, Sara? I wonder if your new doc would order a bone scan if you brought up the issue of height loss?

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 01:53 PM  
Sara1000

Thanks for sharing your experience, Joan. Your approach to improvement is what I would choose and if that's not enough, oh well. I'm not taking any of the drugs, period.

I'm not sure when I lost the inches - the previous doctor's office measured me but I'm not sure they told me the result. I only got measured there once, I think. However it's possible I lost the inches since my last visit there, about 18 months ago.

I take a corticosteroid for asthma at certain times of the year but only one puff per day as opposed to the recommended 4 puffs - I figure if I'm fine on one puff why take 4. I only started it about 2 years ago so it is suspect I guess. Corticosteroids are supposed to contribute to bone loss, I just found out. I'm actually trying to avoid using it now, just relying on albuterol.

The new doctor wants a bone scan as part of her routine checking things. She didn't seem to think it is a priority. I didn't realize the loss of inches at the time I talked to her.

I doubled the dose of D3 as she recommended and have added a calcium/magnesium tablet. I am doing more cardio and increasing my strength training and just generally trying to stay on my feet more. I did a lot of lying on the couch binge watching Netflix the first 6 months of my retirement (18 months ago). I understand that when you are horizontal you are losing bone.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 05:00 PM  
LoveVA

I don't have osteopenia, but I am close in my left hip (-0.8). Pretty frustrating since I'm only in my late 40s (early menopause, though, so that is probably why), I do strength training 3x a week. And yet, my bone density has dropped over the past 2 years when I really stepped up my weights. So I've started wearing an 11-pound weight vest when I go shopping and I'll wear it around the house as I move around. Not sure that will help, but we'll see. I've upped my calcium, magnesium, vit D supplementation. I'm trying to eat more greens.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone density, bone loss, bone mass, bones, dexa, osteopenia, osteoporosis