Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-22, 09:47 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am just glad to see new posts! I miss the days of multiple pages of new threads. It does not matter to me if they are in the general discussion or check in section.

Gemini I am glad you are staying and that exercise is helping you. Hugs.
I agree! It's so quiet on GD compared to the old days. I've taken to reading several of the check-ins in the Challenges and Check-ins for inspiration and just more VF reading

Also glad that Gemini decided to stay. It's good to have new members injecting some activity back onto the forum. I've been ignored and chastised here too on occasion but I don't think it's ever maliciously intended.

When I saw all the check-in threads the other day I knew immediately that someone was just catching up and it was perfectly fine. I didn't think it was worth a post but what do I know?

Ok I think I beat this subject to death now. Everyone enjoy their day
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-22, 01:28 PM  
Leonana

Maybe it's a personality thing. My anal side thinks having all check ins in one place looks more orderly. But my easy going side says keep them in GD, if that's what everyone wants. It's not that big of a deal to me, I can scroll past them. I figure the people who post in the thread should decide. Fortunately, the easy going side wins most of the time.
Old 04-13-22, 03:04 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I don't think that a preference for Check-ins to be in the forum set up for them, Challenges and Check-ins, is "toxic." I have often wished that a moderator would point the way there.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 12:22 PM  
jordan

I’ll admit that I don’t post much anymore because I don’t have anything to add and I don’t always have time to visit. I lurk when I have time and I still use the search function for information occasionally.

First and most importantly, I am happy to read that Gemini2874 decided to stay and continue her fitness journey here. I have learned a lot from many people here and have also received help & support when I needed it.

I’ve used a few of the forums on VF and found them helpful because of their designated purposes. But there may be a reason that the general discussion forum is used for check-ins that some people may not be aware of and so I support JackieB for asking the question. The question asked didn’t appear to be negative or toxic and I could see the curiosity of it since there is a forum for check-ins. Also, I agree with the observation that when choosing searches in the general discussion forum, I too have noticed many check-in threads show up. It adds a little time to scroll through but not too much of an effort. On the flip side, it does defeat the purpose of the filter on the advanced search function. Basically, I guess it just comes down to how people use the forum. However, it doesn’t seem to bother anyone much and in the interest of understanding I think it is a good discussion.

Striving for fitness one day at a time,
jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 05:41 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I don't think that a preference for Check-ins to be in the forum set up for them, Challenges and Check-ins, is "toxic." I have often wished that a moderator would point the way there.
I don't want to presume to speak for someone else, but what struck me as most likely to be "toxic" about this discussion wasn't that idea in itself. The same basic idea, presented in a different way, probably wouldn't have elicited the same reaction.

I actually agree with anyone who thinks so that certain threads belong on certain subforums. (I won't name it, but I was even somewhat displeased not long ago to see a blatantly "misplaced" thread in General Discussion--and this thread probably got a lot more replies than it would've in its "proper" VF section. )

Here, though, I can see the possible differences in definitions of what a "check-in" is. Some people may use one like "any thread where people report physical activity."

Although I do see other answers, I also have a substantive case that a number of threads do most belong in General Discussion, and their placement and continued presence there do have actual reasons.

WWWendy's sticky post in Challenges and Check-ins--"purpose of this forum"--was probably not intended as a rigorously worded statement about the criteria for the threads in there. Even so, in my reading it nicely illustrates at least three areas of difference between the threads that are already in General Discussion and the threads that are already in Challenges and Check-ins. These areas of difference may be why the moderators have never moved these threads or done anything like that.

I'm working on a more detailed post about my reasoning, but here's a summary of these areas of difference:

The threads in Challenges and Check-ins have
(1) more of a sense of a defined membership, like being a mini-community within the larger VF
(2) more of a continuous narrative of reporting activity
(3) and more of a sense of explicit "motivation" and "support"

than any of the present General discussion threads. I hope to have that post about my thinking soon.

In other words, I've never seen

- "Vintage Dustbunny"
- "Tear off the shrinkwrap"
- the recent different monthly "check-ins"
- the daily "Workouts" threads

as quite the type of thread that most belongs in Challenges and Check-ins, even though the first three groups have "check-in" in their titles. I would've thought differently, from the beginning of their appearances, if any of them were shaped differently or were at least seemed intended to be shaped differently.

Accordingly, I've never used the term "check-in" to describe the "Workouts" threads, and when I resumed their regular posting on VF in 2017 after new threads had become sporadic, I didn't change their location. Also, if I wanted to start a thread resembling "Vintage" or "Shrinkwrap" in shape, I'd also avoid calling it a "check-in" simply to avoid confusion. (I'm also reminded of hearing, years ago, that a moderator closed a thread about Walk Diet, which is an exercise DVD that I think doesn't offer specific dietary advice, because VF doesn't discuss "diets.")
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit

Last edited by hch; 04-14-22 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added "some people may use..." sentence
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 07:11 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Nvm.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 07:27 PM  
bubbles76

NM too I guess. I'll PM you Jackie
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 07:55 PM  
Luv2WO

hch - thank you for the detailed explanation. Makes sense to me.
Luv2WO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 10:12 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan View Post
there may be a reason that the general discussion forum is used for check-ins that some people may not be aware of and so I support JackieB for asking the question. The question asked didn’t appear to be negative or toxic and I could see the curiosity of it since there is a forum for check-ins.

Agree. I know Jackie very well & I know she meant no offence with her original post.

So…..perhaps it’s time to move on & put this issue to bed?

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-22, 11:40 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

When I was writing, I didn't want to be very specific about what I found problematic, but I wasn't thinking of JackieB's post.

I've been continuing this thread to address a different part of it, but the intensity of that message has now decreased, more than I was expecting it to. (Here I'll thank people for their direct and indirect messages of support. ) If we continue this conversation, I'd be happier to do so elsewhere--in a different context, probably in a different thread, at a calmer time for me, and with less urgency.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check-ins