Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-18, 07:46 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALakersfan View Post
This is such a timely thread for me too! Those of you that are on estrogen are you on an oral pill Evista (Raloxifene) or the Estradiol patch? Is Estrace also an oral form prescribed for osteoporosis? I do not want to go on any form of bisphosphonates and I know that is what my doc is going to recommend. Pretty disheartening as I've tried to do everything right with exercise, supplements of calcium, magnesium and K2 and good diet.
I use an estradiol patch--twice weekly. It's generic so is much cheaper than the transdermal estrogen spray I had been using. I also take progesterone tablets (1 a day, right before bed). The progesterone has helped immensely with sleep problems.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-18, 12:16 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Despite all my efforts, cal/mag/Vit k/boron cocktails, Vit. D, yoga, workouts and kale smoothies, I got the Big O diagnosis last week. Most of the subject areas are osteopenia at -1.2, but areas of my spine are -2.5. The main factor is my RA meds, and genetics probably play a role.

I'm signing the books Alta referenced out of the library. Thanks to this thread, I have some additional questions to bring to the doctor.

According to Dr. Internet, osteopenia is rated -1 to -2.5, and osteoporosis is rated -2.5 and lower, so I'm right on the threshhold and hoping to back out the door.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-18, 01:24 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Despite all my efforts, cal/mag/Vit k/boron cocktails, Vit. D, yoga, workouts and kale smoothies, I got the Big O diagnosis last week. Most of the subject areas are osteopenia at -1.2, but areas of my spine are -2.5. The main factor is my RA meds, and genetics probably play a role.

I'm signing the books Alta referenced out of the library. Thanks to this thread, I have some additional questions to bring to the doctor.

According to Dr. Internet, osteopenia is rated -1 to -2.5, and osteoporosis is rated -2.5 and lower, so I'm right on the threshhold and hoping to back out the door.
((Hugs)) Pat!

It is a shock to get that diagnosis when you have tried hard to do everything possible to guard your bones. For a few years, I did the HRT thing which did help me regain some bone mass, but after a certain age one is hesitant to do that.

I still work hard to stop bone loss. But, now my focus is more to retain muscle mass and practice balance exercises daily. (Not a yoga fan, so I do other things.)

ETA: I'm not a yoga fan, but I do like Jane Adams' videos very much.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-18, 08:12 PM  
Sollamyn

I am 59 and just reached menopause about 3 years ago. I have yet to look into bone density and what to do about it. I asked my gyno once, but he said to have to GP do the bone scan, and I never got around to asking her about it. I have been on HRT for almost year now because of hot flashes being too frequent and I just couldn't take them anymore (after about two years of suffering a hot flash every 30 to 60 minutes of my life). My maternal grandmother had osteo and now my mother, who is 89. My mother suffers a great deal. My grandmother fell twice and also suffered a great deal. I don't want that, if I can avoid it, so I will be looking into my options very soon!

Donna
Old 09-30-18, 07:18 AM  
LAC

Quote:
This is such a timely thread for me too! Those of you that are on estrogen are you on an oral pill Evista (Raloxifene) or the Estradiol patch? Is Estrace also an oral form prescribed for osteoporosis? I do not want to go on any form of bisphosphonates and I know that is what my doc is going to recommend. Pretty disheartening as I've tried to do everything right with exercise, supplements of calcium, magnesium and K2 and good diet.
I take Raloxifene (generic Evista), but, to clarify, it is not actually an estrogen, although it has an estrogen-like effect on bones.
My last DEXA showed that since starting it I have finally leveled off on years of bone loss and am currently maintaining, although not building bone.

I lurk a bit on the National Osteoporosis Foundation forum at Inspire. The chatter there reveals an overwhelming patient aversion to the bisphosphonates and Prolia. Personally, I am not sure what I would do if my endocrinologist took Evista away from me. It feels like a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 07:20 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you Alta. I went through meno without any HRT and keep second-guessing myself if that was wise, seeing all the success stories with bio-identicals. I'll ask about it.

Balance and building/maintaining muscle is my focus, too, and should be for all of us as we age. I need all the muscles I can get to keep this old bag of rusted bolts upright.

I began reading Dr. Lani's No-Nonsense Bone Health Guide last night, it is an excellent resource. I'll be buying it. I never knew that RA alone causes bone loss even if you took no meds - any inflammatory disease can do that.

On the topic of books - Dr. Lani's book has references to eating more alkaline foods. Does anyone have a good book recommendation on alkaline foods / diets?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-18, 07:40 AM  
SandyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post

Just curious, is the vitamin K that you take a vitamin K2? Or vitamin K1? I've been seeing a lot on the Internet where people think K2 is the "magic bullet quote for osteoporosis due to its affects on calcium storage. I have started taking the K2 but won't have a bone scan until next spring to be able to tell if it's working.
SandyT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioidentical hormones, bisphosphonates, bone loss, osteopenia, osteoporosis