Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-15, 08:32 AM  
SpiritSong

What a great thread to revive! I recently started exercising again (did Leslie Sansone's 6-week Walk Away the Pounds program) and have now designed a low-intensity rotation for myself (I was never a high impact kind of gal anyway). This thread gives me hope that it will work to help slim me down.

In case you're curious:
Sun. - Yoga
Mon. - Cardio (30-45 min. - Leslie, Turbo Jam, or easy dance)
Tue. - Barre (this includes Pilates, Ellen -- anything not considered weights)
Wed. - Cardio
Thu. - Weights
Fri. - Cardio
Sat. - Nothing or Stretch (or Lawn Max until winter comes)
Old 08-28-15, 08:37 AM  
donnamp

Hi, Lannette!!! I think you're on to something, I'm not sure if the FIRM workouts were intended to be used that way and I can see how doing some of them w/ more moderate weights could actually make them more effective and fun (particularly the Classics)

Sassy - I think it is easy to fall into that trap - we're "taught" that we have to go all out and for some people, I think that works, but not for everyone.

Amy - I like your plan! I'm going to save it for future reference - it seems well balanced w/ good variety.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 08:56 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi, Lannette!!! I think you're on to something, I'm not sure if the FIRM workouts were intended to be used that way and I can see how doing some of them w/ more moderate weights could actually make them more effective and fun (particularly the Classics)

Sassy - I think it is easy to fall into that trap - we're "taught" that we have to go all out and for some people, I think that works, but not for everyone.

Amy - I like your plan! I'm going to save it for future reference - it seems well balanced w/ good variety.

Donna
I was actually talking about the classics through Tortoise and Hare. I also see FitPrime and Kickbutt workouts in a whole new light now that I'm not so bent on killing my self with exercise.

Sassy, I agree with Donna. It's an easy trap to slide into.

Amy, your plan looks like fun!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 09:07 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
It's the same for me. I've experimented on myself over the course of a couple years, never letting my weight swing too far one way or the other. Higher intensity leaves me starving and turns me into a frumpy post menopausal old lady. Shorter, less intense workouts with lots of daily movement leaves me less hungry and that creates with a leaner body that I love. It goes against everything we've been spoon fed by the folks who sell us those killer workouts but for me it's true. I can't out run what I can eat and on high intensity all I want to do is eat!
What I highlighted really is key to your daily lifestyle. I think where a lot of people mess up is in thinking that their "allotted" time for working out is all they need daily. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our bodies are meant to move, and with today's technology, we just aren't moving around enough during our daily activities. So I do think that you overall activity for the entire day plays a HUGE role in one's life.

If a person's workout is leaving them pretty much inactive for the rest of the day, then it's the wrong exercise for that person.

As far as hunger goes, I'm in the minority here at VF. Less intense workouts leave me ravenous, and with harder longer workouts I have no appetite. But I also drink at least a gallon of water daily.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 09:27 AM  
donnamp

Debbie - I agree w/ you - moving during the day *is* key and it is hard especially if you have a sedentary job and a commute! I am much more conscious about sneaking activity into my day now than ever before - again, not sure if in the past it was physical (I worked out so hard I'm too tired do more) or psychological (I worked out, I can now take it easy for the rest of the day!) or both - probably a little bit of both!

But now my workouts don't wear me out and I don't feel that I "deserve" to rest all day after doing them so it is a lot easier physically and psychologically to get myself to move more - take a walk w/ the dogs, take a stroll around town at work, use the stairs instead of the elevator, etc.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 10:40 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
Bumping to see if anyone else has tried this
Ten years is a heck of a bump!

Over recent years, fitness classes and DVD s have been all about insanity and intensity and killer, etc,

It hasn't been the magic fat loss bullet for everyone.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 11:16 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
What I highlighted really is key to your daily lifestyle. I think where a lot of people mess up is in thinking that their "allotted" time for working out is all they need daily. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our bodies are meant to move, and with today's technology, we just aren't moving around enough during our daily activities. So I do think that you overall activity for the entire day plays a HUGE role in one's life.

If a person's workout is leaving them pretty much inactive for the rest of the day, then it's the wrong exercise for that person.

As far as hunger goes, I'm in the minority here at VF. Less intense workouts leave me ravenous, and with harder longer workouts I have no appetite. But I also drink at least a gallon of water daily.
Yes, it is key but I want to make note that none of that activity is of notable intensity. It doesn't even make it onto the bottom of the cardiovascular chart. It's the stuff most people would pooh pooh as they puke in their bucket.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 12:26 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Same here. It also stimulates my appetite for sure.

This is the key. I would also say there is more than one way to lose weight, depending on your body and what it needs. Some lose weight with intensity and heavy weights, others, like me, do not.

And I think you certainly can get high intensity with low(er) impact~just depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it.
Yeah, skips and trots - where the half-jacks and jogs usually are, as presented.
My knees get the liniment.
I remain rebounder-free (downstairs neighbors, paper thin walls, no room)
I do what I can.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 12:43 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post

If a person's workout is leaving them pretty much inactive for the rest of the day, then it's the wrong exercise for that person.y.
This.

I brought my sons to the barber shop the other day and there was a segment on the news show on tv about new kitchen gadgets. One device actually stirred the pot for you! I can see that being nice if you make a lot of risotto, but really... We're too busy or lazy to stir a pot of soup or sauce?? Everyone I the barber shop was groaning.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 12:53 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Yeah, skips and trots - where the half-jacks and jogs usually are, as presented.
My knees get the liniment.
I remain rebounder-free (downstairs neighbors, paper thin walls, no room)
I do what I can.
I hear you. And yes, I was thinking about rebounders, too, although I don't have one. I'm not a high intensity gal.

Tags
appetite, doing less, exercise intensity, intensity, low intensity, maffetone method, old thread alert, results, successful weight loss