Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-04, 01:39 PM  
abbyalex

Interesting fitness change -- lost inches doing LESS

I had been plateaued for well over a year at 137 lbs. with approximately the same body shape and muscle tone. Nothing really wrong with that, but I've been wanting to get back to my "ideal" weight of 125 lbs. for several years (assuming that's still possible now that I'm in my 40's) and lose some of my accumulated fat.

This past August, I was forced to change my workout habits due to a new and VERY busy schedule. I foolishly committed myself to doing 2 plays that overlapped, so rehearsals kept me out most nights of the week (evenings are my usual workout time). So I not only reduced my workout time from 60 or more minutes a day to only 30 minutes a day (4-5 times per week), but I also reduced the intensity from very intense (i.e. Cathe) to more "light-to-moderate (i.e. Leslie Sansone, PHH). Working out at 10:30 at night made me unmotivated to do anything too strenuous OR lengthy. I just wanted to make sure I got in some form of exercise most days of the week. I figured I would lose some of my fitness, then get back into it hardcore after the first of the year.

The surprising results are (drum roll please......) in the past 3 months I lost 7 lbs.!! When I pulled out my fall clothes, I started to realize that NONE of my pants or skirts fit me -- they were all too big on me. I weighed myself this past weekend, and I've dropped to 130 lbs. I can see the change in my waist and hips, upper body and also my face (these are my "fat" areas). I have to tell you, I am amazed!

It happened very slowly, so I didn't even realize it was happening until I noticed that all of my pants from last year (and earlier this summer) were hanging off my waist. I rarely weigh myself (don't own a scale), so after a big round of clothes shopping, I jumped on my boyfriend's scale, which is the same scale that has been declaring me 137 lbs. for the past year and a half, and I was down to 130!

One big difference I noticed that was probably a big contributor to the weight loss is my reduction in appetite. Working out less intensely really reduced my appetite a great deal. I am eating much smaller portions without really noticing (BF has commented several times on this -- "is that all you're having??"). The majority of my workouts have been PHH, plus WATP tapes and outdoor walking. I only use weights about once a week, occasionally twice.

I just wanted to report this interesting "phenomenon." I think I have learned that contrary to my strictly-held previous beliefs, my body responds MUCH better to moderate intensity exercise. I was doing intense Cathe workouts almost exclusively, was working my butt off, but my body's appearance stayed the same. It seems to me that intensity burned more calories in the short run, but moderate exercise burned off the fat more slowly and evenly, and evidently more efficiently.

Just wanted to report my new findings. I'm trying to think of what to move onto once I have my time back. But I doubt I will be working on my intensity anymore.
Thanks for listening,
Abby
abbyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 01:45 PM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Fabulous results, Abby!!! I too have noticed that high intensity exercise really increases my appetite....but I seem to be addicted!
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 01:52 PM  
JeepGirl

Congratulations on your loss! I think there was another VF'er that got some great results doing PHH also. I should check this DVD out. Lately all I seem to be able to do is 30 minute workouts on most days, 45 minutes usually 2 days a week, supplemented with 30-50 minute dog walks at night. Who knew that doing less would yield more results?? Please keep us updated on how you continue to do!

Christine
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 02:00 PM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

Very interesting!

I have done intense (or what I consider to be intense) workouts for quite a few years, now. I'm always looking to UP the intensity in some way. I am in Week 8 of a P90X rotation right now, and looking forward to Cathe's new series.

I don't think I need to lose weight, but I definitely need to lose FAT, because I'm sort of fluffy. During the summer, we went on a 2 week vacation, and I didn't workout at all. I felt less hungry, in general, but didn't pay much attention to it.

When I got back, I started right back into an intense rotation (even though I had to reduce the weights ) and could not believe how hungry I was! The DOMS were incredible after only 2 weeks off, and I was starving every day! I had gained a couple of pounds because I had eaten higher calorie foods on vacation, but I hadn't been terribly hungry.

I'm wondering if your experience could give me the nerve to back off a little. At 45 years old, I'm sure I could use a bit more stretching and yoga, even though I have always felt like doing both is sort of "wasting time". The P90X rotation has given me more opportunity to work on my flexibility, but I still only feel well worked if I "BRING IT".

Maybe the fluffy would go away if I weren't so hungry all of the time......

Sandi M
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 02:12 PM  
Seabush

I'm a firm believer that less is more. Now if I could apply that concept to my eating habits.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 03:00 PM  
dsr5

Hi. This is exactly what happened to me....

This past summer I had to slow down due to health considerations. I started doing LB/Callan/TBM and strictly cardio after a year of the Firm and Cathe and working out an hour a day, practically day in and day out. Guess what? I was able to maintain or lose a little by doing this and watching what I eat. I am convinced that for me diet (notice I did not say DIETING) and upping my cardio is what is key for me. Small portions and lower carbs works great for me.

I actually enjoy working out again, where before it was a chore that I just had to get through. I still throw in a Cathe now and then, but I am very happy with my TaeBo and Callan type exercises.

Congrats on your discovery

Donna
dsr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 03:16 PM  
libra01971

I find this really interesting. I, too, am always searching for ways to make my workout more intense and, like Sandi, always felt like yoga or stretching would be a waste of my precious workout time. (During my 12 week P90X rotation, I think I did about 30 minutes of YogaX twice and StretchX once fast forwarding through the "slow" parts )

My weight is very close to where Abby started and my goal is also very close to Abby's goal. I have been hanging on to these pounds for a long time. BUT - I am terrified to try cutting back for fear of gaining rather than losing! Ugh!
Old 11-01-04, 04:17 PM  
abbyalex

Thank you for all your responses. Believe me, I would never, EVER have cut back on my workout intensity or time if I hadn't gotten so busy. And NO ONE is more surprised than I am that I got down to 130 lbs. I thought I would never see that number again -- I assumed I was going to "puff up" more! Even after reading so much about lower intensity workouts burning more fat, I still never bought into that theory until it actually happened to me. I mean, I'm not even sweating that much! It's crazy!

This is the first time I have lost a significant amount of FAT since I started working out several years ago. I am stunned and totally thrilled! Even when I was walking around in droopy, saggy pants, I just thought something was wrong with my pants!! There is much less "fluff" on my middle, I've never seen it this lean. I just bought low rise jeans and wore a top with them that let my tummy show a little bit! Eek! (not that I will be making a habit of that -- my tummy is glow-in-the-dark white and might frighten people).

I have to say, I think the PHH series is fantastic. Each half hour segment definitely has cardio benefits, not just toning. That series probably made up 75% of my workouts these last few months, and I did alot of Leslie Sansone, especially Walk & Jog.

All I can say is I'm glad I didn't pre-order Cathe's Hardcore series........
abbyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 04:22 PM  
Seabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyalex
Each half hour segment definitely has cardio benefits, not just toning. That series probably made up 75% of my workouts these last few months, and I did alot of Leslie Sansone, especially Walk & Jog.

All I can say is I'm glad I didn't pre-order Cathe's Hardcore series........
If you like Walk & Jog, you may like Leslie's Too Busy to Workout. It's an oldie with about 20 minutes of jogging. I use a rebounder with this workout.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-04, 05:25 PM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Thanks for posting this, Abby. I think I may just be convinced. I started an intense (my version of a) rotation today that will have a lot of interval and other intense cardio. I've put on 6 pounds and I think evey ounce of it is fat, so I'm looking for something that will burn that. Good point, Crystal...if I'd had the less is more attitude with food I wouldn't be looking for something to burn the fat.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, doing less, exercise intensity, intensity, low intensity, maffetone method, old thread alert, results, successful weight loss