anyone else ever have this?

how did you modify your workouts?

sigh
ow
NoraKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-04, 09:06 PM  
Sophie

yep

Yes - I had my first bout several years ago, and then recently last winter. It lasted several months - from November till March, I think, but wasn't severe the entire time.

I definately did have to modify. I "lost" several poses - couldn't push up into wheel, for instance, because my shoulderblade would freeze up. I backed off a bit on pranayama and some poses because it really irritated the joints most affected. The annoying part was that it was kind of unpredictable. I couldn't quite tell if a particular practice or workout was going to affect it until the next day.

I found I tended to approach it the way I would any other minor injury - to be much more conservative about intensity and range of motion, and work just inside the edge.

Hmmm, I'm looking through my log book right now. I did still stay fairly active, but as I said, monitored the intensity of my effort quite a bit to stay out of - well, mostly - the pain zone.

I did quite a bit of restorative yoga, as well, now that I look at my notes...

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I consider myself fortunate that mine was just at "nuisance level" and not disabling. I hope it won't last long for you.

ETA: I notice I still did a lot of power yoga during this period. Actually, in hindsight, I now ask myself if it would have gone away sooner if I had dropped it entirely for a while. I really don't know. For me it can still irritated by viral infections - like the colds and flus my kids bring home... :rolleyes: and just this week I found myself wondering if another bout was coming on.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-04, 09:37 PM  
gimmat
VF Supporter

Two years ago, I really pushed myself into doing full push-ups on the toes, and came down with this condition. I thought it was my breast when I woke up in pain one morning, but after an emergency visit to my ob/gyn for an exam, I was given anti-inflammatories, and instructions to avoid heavy weights for the upper body for a while.

After the pain had subsided, maybe 2-3 weeks, I was able to do SOME of the stuff I'd been doing before, but not push-ups or anything resembling push-ups without some irritation. I stuck with very little upper body work, and low weights for what I did do. My pain was in a place that allowed some range of motion, and I found flyes were OK, but chest presses were not. I could do planks some, and after several months, I was totally fine--I was gradually adding in workouts that included heavier weights, push-ups, etc. I do occasionally get twinges when I have overdone it (can anyone say P90X?), but on the whole, I think my chest muscles are stronger and I am smarter...
gimmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-04, 10:28 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

kickboxing?

bleh!
I just caved and bought P90X a few weeks ago!!!!
ahhhhhhhh!!!!

wheel pose = BAD at the moment
push ups = ok

huh

guess I should do that all aerobics rotation I was considering

Should I leave the kickboxing out?
NoraKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 05:56 AM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

I had this last year, and posted about it (if I spelled "costo" correctly, it might turn up on the search function.)

If memory serves, this condition is one of the reasons I discovered HiRep/LowWeight workouts like Slim Series. The didn't aggravate the problem, but I was able to keep up my fitness level.

Heavy upper body work was out for weeks...

Feel better soon!
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 12:53 PM  
KickDancer

Hi NoraKate,

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about this! I don't have any suggestions for what to do or not to do, but I wanted to send you my well-wishes for a speedy recovery.

ATB,
KickDancer
KickDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 01:54 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i had this condition sometime last year after doing Cory Everson's Get Hard Arms & Shoulders. it got me really scared and i scheduled an appt w/ my doctor. in the meantime, i came here and gymratt - bless her heart really helped me out. i was afraid of not being able to breathe. i could breathe, but i couldn't always get a big breath on demand, if you know what i mean.

http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread...t=breathe+cory

my doctor gave me ibuprofen (mega doses) and it helped, plus i tried to rest it and not worry about it. i told her i worked out regularly, and she said after the inflammation, i should be back to normal. it took me about 1-2 weeks before everything was completely normal. ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that aids in the healing process, so try not to be afraid of taking it unless you have been told not to.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costochrondritis