Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-23, 07:43 AM  
owltx

Today I did Supersets. I think I might end up liking this one more than Giant Sets - it seemed to go by faster, even though it is a longer workout. And I like that she had some moves for calves, and lighter weights for shoulders at the end. Like others, I wasn't sure about that tricep move with the band, but I think once I get the hang of it, it will be a good move.

Minor quibble - I wish there was a timer in this one for the two minute stretches, it would help me know if I have time for an extra stretch, setting up the barbell, etc.

Pam, I hear you on needing the extra stretches - I will absolutely be fitting those in. It was one of the things that I really liked about this series, was all the additional stretches. So far, I have liked the ones I tried.

I want all of Cathe's leggings!!
Old 06-02-23, 12:04 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

STS 2.0 Tri Sets Total Body-Day 5

Oh wow, Tri Sets was a tough one, especially towards the end. I had to drop my weight for triceps and flys. I'd never done that rear lunge move where you're staying low and bring back foot in to lunge again, but I tend to do well with lower body stuff. My arms were sore (immediately after this one) so I added Total Body Stretch, as well as Stretch Max using latex band.

Once again I had to pause the DVD to get a different weight or rewind, missing some of the stretches between sets/groupings. That's a good idea about including a timer with these, Stephanie! I might just grab my egg timer and turn it on when I need to and see how that goes. Of course the ticking will drive me nuts, but that's quicker than me setting a timer on my watch.

Yeah, I really needed the extra stretching today. My shoulders were feeling worked, along with everything else. I won't always have the extra time after the Total Body workouts, though. But, will add them in when I can!

I do love that Cathe thought about including some stretch, yoga and mobility workouts with this set! On the lighter days between strength, I might add something like Boss bands (keeping the band light) or even Travel Fit to get some extra stretch on specific areas. Jessica's 6 Mile Mix would be good for the band work for Upper/Lower Body, too!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 01:53 PM  
warriorprincess

Recovery Day. I did 30 minutes of zone 2 on the stationary bike, and STS 2.0 Mat Yoga.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 04:37 PM  
TracyQ

I did Tri Sets yesterday. By far the most challenging of all the STS workouts I’ve done so far. I am feeling it today.

Today I did a 30 minute YouTube Move with Nicole Pilates class and walked an hour.

I’m not starting an STS 2 rotation until I’ve had time to go through all the workouts and figure out how I want to use them. During the summer I do a lot of outdoor cycling and stand up paddling so I may just use the workouts as stand alones until the fall..I’m happy that I’ve really enjoyed all the ones I’ve tried so far.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 09:43 PM  
laurajhawk

It's great to see all the activity here!

I started the rotation a week ago today, so today starts week 2 for me. I'm loosely following the 12-week rotation, at least for now! Wednesday was active recovery day; instead of the workout, I did a vinyasa class. Yesterday was rest day; I did Mat Yoga and surprised myself by liking it! It's a lovely short yoga practice that stretches just about everything - I think it will be useful for me. (The only thing I don't like is the cuing where she calls "front leg" and "back leg" assuming we're practicing with our mat sideways to the TV. That means craning my neck to look at the TV, so I don't do it that way; I face the front short edge of the mat towards the TV and have to remember which side I've done to avoid repeating - but it's a short practice and that wasn't a problem.)

Today the rotation calls for Super Sets, and again I did the Express #4 premix. I think in winter, when I'm less active overall, I may want to do a rotation using the full workouts, but I ordered the set expecting to use premixes, and I'm happy with them. Because they generally cut the last round of each exercise, the premixes (the ones I'm using anyway) are not choppy and I don't feel like I'm missing out. I feel like I've gotten the hang of the pacing, increased several of my weights, and enjoyed the workout.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 10:01 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I did Mat Yoga and surprised myself by liking it! It's a lovely short yoga practice that stretches just about everything - I think it will be useful for me. (The only thing I don't like is the cuing where she calls "front leg" and "back leg" assuming we're practicing with our mat sideways to the TV. That means craning my neck to look at the TV, so I don't do it that way; I face the front short edge of the mat towards the TV and have to remember which side I've done to avoid repeating - but it's a short practice and that wasn't a problem.)
That drives me crazy when instructors do this. There have been a few of Jessica recent strength workouts where I couldn't remember which side I'd just worked, because I'm facing a different direction than her. Cathe may have done this same thing in a previous yoga workout, too! Yoga's not relaxing when you're having to crane your neck to see the TV because the instructor can't cue. I got spoiled with Travis Eliots' Ultimate Yogi.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-23, 08:55 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Supersets and Standing Abs Metabolic Core

Happy Saturday!

I am in a hotel this weekend for a wedding, and only had 5-50lb dumbbells to use for a weight workout but I made it work for me. I really miss my 17.5 and 22.5 dumbbells when I get in these situations.

Anyway, this isn’t my favorite of the STS2.0 total body workouts, but it was great for today.

The standing abs/metabolic core was nice!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-23, 11:04 AM  
TracyQ

Today I did Lower Body 2. Another solid lower body workout. I added one of the bonus moves (the seated one that works the abductors with the cloth band which was really good).

I was a little disappointed that there were only three exercises for the bonus and two of them were standing (step ups and elevated lunges). I was hoping for some floor work which I would be more inclined to do rather than more standing exercises which I had no desire to do after completing the main workout.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-23, 02:00 PM  
angie_nrs

Week 1

Hi all. Hope you don't mind if I join you. I thought there'd be more discussion on individual workouts on the main forum, but the posts are kinda all over the place. This seems like a better place to keep it all organized.

For the week I started the 12 week rotation as written. Tomorrow I'll do the 12 minute active recovery and then go back into week 2 on Monday and skip that off day since I will have to miss workouts next weekend.

I'm loving all the variety in this series! So far, I think Cathe hit it out of the park. The total body workouts are really challenging. I thought I'd miss cardio, but I really don't. Plus, I'm already feeling less fluffy than before I started the program. I really needed to get the heavy weights out again, so the timing of this set was perfect. I think my 30, 35, and 40# weights were getting lonely, until last week. Now they're getting plenty of love.

I'm using a lot of the same weight as Cathe but dropping on some moves, like the shoulder by 5# b/c I have a glitchy shoulder. I just love the small variations she is incorporating in these workouts. It makes them so much more enjoyable and the time flies by!

I did Total Body Trisets today and OH MY! I was a sweaty mess and even had that 'pucky' feeling when doing chest and back with those heavy weights. There was certainly some huffing and puffing going on in this workout. In the future if I want a good overall heavy workout, this will fit that bill and I may even skip the last leg segment if I don't want to put in a full hour.

I have done standing abs and ball abs and like both of these workouts. They're not too tough, but enough to get the job done without dread....which means I'll use them. Also the Mat Yoga was really just an extended stretch, which felt really nice. My muscles were tighter than I thought. That stretch was indeed needed.
Old 06-03-23, 02:24 PM  
warriorprincess

So this morning I was sitting on the porch, and tried to swat a fly with a flyswatter and yelped out in pain as my shoulder did not like the quick movement! As a result, I lowered my weights more than I normally would on the push and shoulder exercises, and skipped the thumbs in flys when it hurt. It's so hard for me to intentionally not go as heavy as possible! So here's to the fly that saved me from myself.

Today I did Tricets. I love the format, and the exercises. I am wiped out! The lifting pace allows for going pretty heavy, but by that last set before the beautiful two minute rest period, I am panting like a dog in summertime. I had to lower the weights in the second half of the tricet for biceps and overhead press.

I'm coming close to maxing out my weights on several of the exercises. I have a pair of 35 pounders on their way! I have a 10 pound weight belt I like to wear on the leg exercises. It lets me go lighter on the weights that I'm holding, and for squats especially, it makes it easier to do the movement.

I followed it up with Total Body Stretch. As I remembered, it felt perfect for this type of workout. I like how the first half of it focuses on upper body.

Here's a weird thing. After the first tricet group for legs ended, as I was putting my weights away, I got a severe cramp in my left shoulder/trap/neck region and couldn't move for about a minute! I went and drank some salt water, thinking my electrolytes must be off, and I was fine after that. It was just squats and lunges. I'm still trying to figure out why it was my shoulder that spasmed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe sts 2.0, sts 2.0, sts 2.0 reviews