Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-23, 07:21 PM  
Jenn R

Www.dunbaracademy.com has world class training information. The first month is free. All positive training . Susan Garrett on YouTube has some great information on helping your dog with confidence building . Taking things super slow and not forcing any situations that are scary is the best way to approach your new dog. Good luck!
Jenn R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-23, 09:36 PM  
bfit

It can take a long time so be patient. I had a friend whose cat was scared and practically lived under a piece of furniture for weeks, but eventually the cat adjusted. Also, sometimes animals actually feel safer and happier in their crates. Instead of feeling confined they feel secure so I wouldn't feel bad about leaving him there right now. In fact, sometimes with cats they recommend that you confine them to one small room like the bathroom when they first arrive because the entire new house can be overwhelming.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-23, 09:55 AM  
Karla25

Here are some other suggestions:

You can buy calming chews for dogs which might help him relax a bit in his new environment.

Try filling a Kong with his moistened food or apple/celery and top it with a little sugar-free peanut butter. I give my pups a Kong treat twice a day. It makes them so happy

I think the more things you can do to bring joy into your new pups life the quicker he will trust you. Here’s a link on how to fill one, in case you’ve never heard of Kong:
Kong

My pups also love natural shed deer antlers.

Maybe it would help if the people you got him from could visit with him at your home.

Maybe try playing some soft classical music if he’s isolated in a room. He might find it comforting.

Best wishes and hugs for a positive outcome.
Old 05-09-23, 10:15 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

He’s eating, that’s a great start. Patience, gentleness of touch and a soft kind voice. You are doing all the right things with baby steps. All the best for the future.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-23, 10:17 AM  
Gams

Thanks, Karla. I’ll try a Kong stuffed with goodies. My other Boston is an exceptional chewer - he can destroy anything and in record time. I’ll be able to find out what kind of chewer the new guy is. I have to drive to a nearby town today - bet I can find a Kong there.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-23, 11:20 AM  
Vantreesta

I was going to give that warning about the Kong. I had the black one, the strongest one there is, as far as I know, and my dog bit part of it off. He can't have Kongs anymore.

I wonder if this new Boston likes stuffed toys. If he doesn't destroy them maybe he would find some comfort in that. Cyric no longer destroys them so he has many and sometimes he self soothes by just licking the toy. Much better than licking himself bald like one of my dogs did!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-23, 02:57 PM  
Gams

When I went to the store today, I got him a chew toy that he’s ignoring and one of those balls you fill with treats and roll around until the treats come out. He smacked that around and got all the treats out in record time. LOL. I’ll look for some more things for him.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, off topic, off-topic