Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-23, 09:08 AM  
Gams

OT - looking for pet advice

I’ve always had dogs and have adopted many from shelters and while I’ve had some that have initially been frightened, they’ve come around pretty quickly. Three weeks ago I took in a Boston terrier from some people who have 2 big dogs who have attacked the Boston and they were afraid he was going to be seriously injured. I don’t think he’s been socialized much - they didn’t take him
on walks or anything. He was frightened when I got him home, so I didn’t bug him much for the first few days. The problem is that he has only ventured out of his crate 3 times since he’s been here. I have tried sitting quietly by his crate, sitting by the crate and talking to him, and sitting by the crate and petting him. The good news is he has been eating well and is very food motivated and he’s a perfect gentleman when I clean his crate every day and put in new bedding. If I sit just outside the crate and put a treat on my lap, he will reach out and get it. This morning I set his breakfast bowl just far enough outside the crate so he would have to come out of the crate to eat. I was thinking maybe of continuing to set his bowl outside the crate and make it a little farther from the crate each day? He knows exactly when it’s time to eat - he barks at me when he wants to be fed. Any suggestions on what else I can try?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-23, 09:53 AM  
Vantreesta

It sounds like he wants to trust you, so that certainly helps! Plus being food motivated makes it so much easier. Is he your only furbaby right now? I think feeding outside the crate sounds like a good idea, although I would gauge his reaction before moving it father every day. It's possible that could be a little too fast for him, depending on how much farther you move it.

Five years ago I adopted a rescue when he was approximately 10 months old. Fortunately, he trusted my husband and me immediately so I was surprised at his reactions to other people. We don't know his history except that he was rescued from a kill shelter in Alabama before being brought with a bus load of dogs to MN. He got along well with our senior female dog we had at the time but she is the only one. He hates all other dogs. Initially when people tried to approach him he would show fear and do his best to hide behind me as far away as he could from the person. Then it changed to actively barking, lunging and growling to keep people away. That behaviour has improved with a lot of work, but he still doesn't want most people to come to close and definitely not to pet him. With him, the only thing that has worked for him to accept new people is for them to completely ignore them. No eye contact, no talking to him, definitely no touching. When he first met my parents they ignored him for the first couple days, just letting him take his time and do his thing. Toward the end of the second day he came up and sniffed my dad's hand. Dad thought it was my female so he went ahead and petted Cyric. Cyric has adored him ever since, and he completely accepted my mom as well. There are only a few people he has let in his inner circle but once you're in it's solid. He hates my brother for some reason and we're not sure that will ever change, especially since he only sees him a couple times a year. So all that to say, maybe your little Boston just needs some more time listening as you go about your day, maybe talking to him but not petting him, letting him come to you once he gets curious enough and a little more bold. If he was being attacked by his housemates he may be scared that could still happen at your house. For him maybe three weeks isn't long enough to trust that he's in a completely safe space. Cyric has taken a lot of work, time and patience and he still wears a muzzle when we walk bc he is unpredictable with people and would attack a dog if it got in his face. The muzzle was recommended by the trainer we used and it's for Cyric's safety as much as anyone else's. I have to kind of protect him from himself. I don't take him walking where I think there may be loose dogs that could run up to him, trying to show him I will protect him. That isn't always easy, of course, bc sometimes dogs just get loose, but I do the best I can.

I am definitely not an expert, just sharing some of my experience with a very fearful dog. Hopefully all your little guy needs is just some more time. I know you must be a very patient dog mom based on how many senior dogs you have rescued so I'm confident you have what this little guy needs. I hope he realizes that soon too! Best wishes!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-23, 10:41 AM  
Gams

Thanks for responding. I was just starting to feel guilty that he’s in the crate so much, but I did check with the vet and he said it’s not going to harm him to be in the crate for awhile. I thought I had made a breakthrough because while I was talking to the vet on the phone, he came out of the crate for a few minutes, but then he went back in and hasn’t been back out since. My aunt adopted a cat once who was very frightened and spent all his time under her bed - she named him D. B. for “Dust Bunny”.
Old 05-08-23, 10:57 AM  
Karla25

Maybe try giving him a treat when he comes out of the crate. If he responds to treats, try doing it on a schedule. You can also make a trail of (small) treats to see if he will venture further out.

Do you have any pets that might be intimidating to him? You might want to keep them out of his sight. He’s been badly traumatized and even a sweet bunny might be frightening to him right now.

Is he getting any outdoor sunshine time? It might do him some good. Try putting him in the backyard without his crate for short periods. He needs to exercise to keep his bones and body strong.
Old 05-08-23, 11:03 AM  
Gams

I’d like to get him outside, too, but I don’t know if it will traumatize him more if I drag him out there because he won’t go willingly and he’s not used to having a leash and collar on, either.
Old 05-08-23, 12:07 PM  
Karla25

Can you carry the crate or carry him in your arms? I wouldn't try to take him out with a leash.
Old 05-08-23, 12:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i receive a lot of pet rescue videos/stories on my feed, both dogs and cats. there's quite a few blogs and websites with articles (particularly, The Dodo) about the transition period to be as long as 3 months to be fully settled. many factors come into play, some are beyond our control, for example the pet's temperament.

These stories are from people who rescue dogs as a hobby/profession.

i think you're doing everything right. i've only raised cats, and one of my adopted cats also stayed under the bed for at least a week! we adopted another kitten at the same time, and she was very friendly and easy-going.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-23, 02:04 PM  
wendug

Gams- It sounds like you are doing everything right. Just sitting near the dog letting him get used to you and your voice is great. Some dogs just take longer to settle in and feel comfortable. Keep doing what you are doing. Moving the food bowl further away from the crate is a good idea to get the pup to come out further. Does the dog like squeaky toys? Maybe having some toys would entice him to come out. Patience is key with your new furry friend!
Old 05-08-23, 03:52 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post

I am definitely not an expert, just sharing some of my experience with a very fearful dog. Hopefully all your little guy needs is just some more time. I know you must be a very patient dog mom based on how many senior dogs you have rescued so I'm confident you have what this little guy needs. I hope he realizes that soon too! Best wishes!
This is exactly what I was thinking. What a lucky little guy... getting a second chance at a better life with such a great human!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-23, 06:25 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

You've gotten lots of good advice. Patience and not raising your voice are probably the key. Sounds like you are giving him lots of reasons to trust you. Hang in there! He will figure it out.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs, off topic, off-topic