Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-26-23, 10:49 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Ravi & Ana happy hormones - wanted something different so I grabbed this one. I'm on the fence about a few of my R&A but overall I like this one so it's keeper.

ebianco - I'll have to look for the shoulder staple exercise.

have a great weekend everyone!

waves to buzzer and ebianco!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-23, 12:30 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Today was Cathe Muscle Endurance, and fun fact did you know this workout is now 21 years old (circa 2002)? The DVD was new when I started working out in 2005 but the original workout was 2002, I just happened to notice the date on my DVD today. Anyway this one is always tough. Since it is a leg focused week for me in the Epic Endgame series, I decided to go lighter on the legs, I matched Cathe's 10# on all the leg presses (three long sets or really six long sets because they were back to back in 16 reps then 12 reps) but went lighter on the squats, lunges, deadlifts. On the other hand, I went heavier than her at least a little bit on all the upper body so I really felt it.

Tomorrow will be Epic Endgame day 3, glutes so we'll see how that goes LOL.

Eventmom I totally forgot about Ravi and Ana! I think I may have one of their DVDs, unless I got rid of it over the years, fat free yoga or something. I'm sure that kundalini is really good for you I just wasn't able to get into it the couple times I tried. It's probably been 10 years though I should try it again sometime LOL.

Buzzer and Lucie waves!
Old 05-27-23, 03:48 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA 2.10 day 3 + teen meta dc

ebianco - I still own several of their dvds, well many I guess. I haven't done a full workout of theirs in I don't know how long - I have multiple of their dvds with short practices that I'm more likely to use. But I was surprised at how much I liked this one. I get it on the age of some dvds - I am sort of astounded that I'm using dvds that are say 20 years old. and original firms! filmed what 30 years ago?

hi buzzer and lucie!
Old 05-30-23, 08:42 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Following up with Sunday's workout Epic Endgame Day 3 glute complexes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2K_...vilnbL&index=4). I pushed through it better than I expected to, and actually I woke up yesterday and couldn't believe how I wasn't overly sore! Then, come yesterday afternoon (and today) the soreness really crept up on me, and now I am so sore especially in my hamstrings. And my mind is off with the holiday on Monday, and can't believe I am back at exercise tomorrow already (I thought I had an extra day). But at least it's upper body this week.

Eventmom Yeah isn't it crazy about how old some DVDs are and yes back to original workout content? Yeah Firm Volume 1 was 1986 so really pushing closer to 40 years than 30 even And what's remarkable is how well the workouts have aged. I know the Firms have giveaway retro outfits and background (which I ), but for instance Cathe Muscle Endurance really doesn't show its age except for a little more subtle early-aught feeling outfits.

Buzzer and Lucie waves!
Old 05-30-23, 08:59 AM  
Buzzer

Two days of weed whacking for at least 2 hours... DONE!
Two runs with my trainer... DONE!
Super Sculpting... DONE!

I did weed whacking. I have a whacker that weighs a ton, and I have to hold it in the air the whole time. It says it weighs 1.5 pounds, but let me tell you, with the battery it's more than double that! It really gets heavy after a while. My whole upper body gets a workout. We have 2.5 acres, and I whacked the whole fence line around that acreage, plus around the greenhouse, down the slope that's by part of the fence because I hate doing with the lawn mower, I feel like I am going to tip. Plus every obstacle that I don't want to hit with the mower. I spent two days whacking weeds and getting a great upper body workout! I would be BEAT the rest of the day though.

I also helped DH put concrete into four of those 4' tubes... although I monitored the concrete mixer instead of hauling concrete. I planted our seedlings, I cleaned out the greenhouse, cleaned off the back deck so we could use it now that it's getting warmer!!! I got a lot done this weekend. I was so wiped out every evening. Heck, I have been wiped out every day! I did run with my trainer two times. I finished Easter Island, and am now back in Costa Rica for an intermediate run along the beach. This one is 35 workouts in Costa Rica training for a 5k. The first run was great! I leveled out some of the hills because my body ached so much from doing Super Sculpting the day before, PLUS whacking weeds. The last run at Easter Island was a hike, and I felt like that about killed me. I flattened out those hills also, because the incline was up to 30% and I have discovered that at that incline I hold on so much I don't get the benefit of the incline.

I feel OK about both workouts though, becuase I was doing so much else!

Super Sculpting I did with 10 pounds being my max weight. Actually, I used 10 pounds throughout, except for the little muscles then I went to 5's. It was hard! I think since I did this workout to kick off the weekend, it set the pace for being tired and sore all weekend! The abs were kinda meh, but that ended up being ok with all I did otherwise. I even did the lunges and squats with weights! I am progressing.... or maybe I'm just getting better at torturing myself

Still no weight loss, but my stamina has improved, I feel OK doing a Firm one day and a run the next. This last run, Tommy had us lifting our knees for power, I did it and it was so freeing. I forgot I used to do this move in 5ks! I didn't realize how glued together my thighs have been on my runs. He did 6 - 30 second rounds of knee lifts, and it felt so good.

I am really excited for this series! I feel like now even if I walk part of the workout, I am getting at least 3 miles done. That was unheard of just a few months ago! I started seriously on New Years (I started around Thanksgiving but got sick for a month) and I remember telling DH at one point "My trainer wants me to run 12 minutes straight tomorrow, and I think he's crazy. I can't do that!!" and now, here I am, running 45 minutes straight. I am slow, however I started at 4 mph and now am up to 4.5 mph. It's exciting to see where I'll be at the end of the summer!

I just wish some of this weight would come off, or I wish I would at least LOOK more like all the effort I am putting in. I am not eating bad, however I think it's just hormones. It was kinda a slap in the face when I was talking to a friend and we were talking about our past lives (before kids). She was talking about how in shape, how "ripped" she was. I told her I used to be a personal trainer and she said "Oh! So you used to be in shape too!!" I didn't say anything, just smiled. I can't deny how I look. I eat so much better than I did then, and am putting in close to the same effort, I just don't lift as heavy as I did then or run as fast. Now I am using 10's and 12's, and then I used 20's for the Firm. Then when I outgrew the Firm, I lifted as heavy as I could, doing 2 body parts an evening alternating with running every other day. On the weekends I would do a "recovery" or fun workout with the Firm. So I am getting back to where I was... kinda.... but still, no results. oh well. It's not all about how I look, I just really would like to drop some pounds and at least look like I'm working out!!!

I can see how people get frustrated with working out and just quit! If you don't love it, there's no way you'd stick with it without any payoff. I think it's my age though. I used to be jealous of LB's friends' Moms, who were in their 30's and cute. Now they are hitting their 40's, hormones are catching up to them, and they are putting on weight. It secretly makes me kinda happy which is awful, however it makes me think "ok. it wasn't anything I was doing. it's the age!!!" I don't feel bad about myself, just sad about my past self. I miss when I would get a picture of me taken just more being shy about having the picture taken, rather than worrying about my double chin and my belly showing. ugh. Oh well.

Enough of that. I am happy with what I'm doing, and what I'm able to do!! It's just been a struggle!

Eventmom: I am sorry the new horse is having trouble adapting. Your poor pony! I don't know how you do it. Horses are so big! I'll have to check the brand on our grooming gloves, they are so amazing! It's like having one of those shedders. So much hair. Plus we use the gloves on the horses legs! I got an extra pair, because I love them so much. The tack store near us is going out of business, so the gloves were 50% off! So why the heck not!!! I am totally sold on these things!

Lucie: I still can't believe 50-100 miles of running. I think of that when I'm running and happy to do 3! That's amazing. I have never been much of a distance runner over 7 or 8 miles. I ran 9 miles once on accident.

Ebianco: I'm glad the wedding was nice. There are a million step ups in Tough Tape!!! I used weights for one set, but then dropped the weights for the rest. I don't know if I have done that Cathe... I do have it though! 2002. Man that doesn't seem that long ago, but I guess it does. Time sure flies. I didn't realize Cathe does a lot of step ups. I will have to check some of her workouts out. I have done STS to death, tried some of her step workouts, and did one workout, I don't remember off hand what it was, but she did a whole leg routine standing that I thought was complete, then she goes to the floor and does hip raises with one leg in the air and another on the step, and a whole crap ton of other floor exercises. I thought I would die. I did it, but I didn't do it well. She's a killer! I think that's why I never really got into her! She is so hard.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-23, 01:58 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Sunday - woke up with a migraine at 4am, took a med, knocked me out, when I finally got around to a workout I opted for the TA beginner posted to youtube.
yesterday- essentrics stretch (25 min) + essentrics shoulder stretch then did the free lee holden qi gong.
today - TA meta 2.10 day 4 - did the free lee holden qi gong as my post ride stretch (he is putting out 5 days of free workouts)

no cardio today - the farrier came to take care of Rapport's (new horse) feet, apparently the way they shoe horses at the track shoes aren't meant to stay on long. He was pretty good.

ebianco - wow on the firms! It's kinda crazy, I think I looked at fitprimes - the 'new' firms' and thought wow that's pretty old.

buzzer - I think your runs are awesome! I'm finding it tough to lose weight and now I think with 4 horses I'm giving up cardio most days just because I need to get out to the barn and get going on horse stuff. sigh. But despite not losing weight, we need do it for all the reasons you know - health, being able to carry a stupid string trimmer for hours, it is just frustrating when the appearance weight benefits don't materialize. If you figure out the brand of grooming gloves please let me know!

Hi lucie - hope you are getting in your desired workouts!
Old 05-31-23, 12:32 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

posting so our thread stays current - looks like VF is cutting off threads pretty fast.

today- Action jac. barre + stretch

yesterday afternoon tippy (our pony) was colicking badly. Poor pony was sweating, on the ground, rolling etc. got him up he kept laying down very sick. got him to the vet clinic and definitely surgical. So we drove an hour further to the big vet hospital and they did surgery. It was what they suspected - horses get fatty tumors that can wind around their intestines - they don't cause a problem until they cut off blood supply to the intestines then they get very painful very fast. The surgeon was able to remove it and we caught it fast enough he did not have to remove any intestine. He doing well today hope he can come home early next week.

so easier workout today - exhausted and now I'm on hold with the irs trying to resolve and issue with my father's estate that should have been handled by someone else.
Old 05-31-23, 01:29 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Checking in today with Epic Endgame Day 6, chest and triceps, I had to squeeze it in between a busy working day/meetings and the internet decided it doesn't want to work in the basement (where the gym is) so my only option was to follow through my phone! Given my aggravations I was happy to complete the 63% that I did, with a tiny warm up and shortened stretch I worked out about 40 minutes. Anyway it was a great chest and tricep workout! I'm already feeling it...still feel tired/sore in my legs. This week my in-office day is Thursday not Wednesday so I switched my HIIT and Endgame days, tomorrow will do HIIT. Then legs Friday, total body Cathe Saturday, and Caroline upper body (back/biceps/abs) Sunday.

Eventmom Oh no! VF is cutting threads fast? It feels like we are on a sinking ship given what Lucie said and a discussion on GD as well. Anyway I'll try to do my best to check in every day to keep us active.

Hahaha yeah even the remade FItprimes are coming up on 20 years old in 2025, the originals were even older.

Buzzer Wow you certainly got in an intense Yardwork Max workout and your runs always sound great.

Super Sculpting is a toughie because it just won't stop! So fast between exercises but I love it. Yes the abs on that one are cursory but at least they're included.

Yes Cathe includes a LOT of step ups in the workouts that include the tall step, which isn't the majority of them. But Muscle Endurance does, I think also Boot Camp, and of course her High Step Training and High Step Challenge. Those are the main ones that come to mind. Yes, her workouts are really tough and while I love how polished she is, her workouts don't have a goofy fun factor like the Firms for instance, so it's been harder to get hooked on them over the years. I have STS 2 in hand now! So I'll be incorporating all the total body workouts (3 of them) plus her yoga/mobility/abs etc soon.

I would have balked at what your friend said, I am sure she didn't mean to be rude but it ASTOUNDS me how inadvertently rude people can be. I've always been small chested and unfortunately extra fat accumulates at my stomach area, especially when I carried more weight. And over the years I've had about 10 people ask me or TELL me that I was pregnant (like "oh you're pregnant, that's so nice" or someone once told me "you're carrying low I can tell you're having a boy") and I swear each and every one of them meant well but they had no IDEA how hurtful it was. (For clarity I've never been pregnant). After about the 5th time I was bold enough to tell the person "I'm not pregnant and it's really hurtful that you made that comment" and they would just look bewildered and say "but you're pregnant" which is even more exasperating and hurtful So I completely sympathize that someone made a rude comment unintentionally. I swear, some people do NOT have a filter at all Knock on wood I haven't gotten the pregnant comment in the past few years, maybe because I'm 40 now? Even if it's because I look old now, not necessarily leaner, I'm still relieved

Lucie waves!
Old 05-31-23, 08:25 PM  
Buzzer

I was unable to post about 1/2 hour ago because the server was too busy. So I am worried about VF also! I did see Wendy was on VF for the first time in a year today, so although that's a "hey! She's alive!" nothing is fixed, and she didn't pop on and say "sorry, I have been unreasonably busy for the last 7 years." My dream is that she will come on and pass the torch onto someone else... like one of the dozen people that have stepped forward and said they'd be willing to do something for this site. So, I will try to check in more faithfully!!

Ran with my trainer... DONE!

Yesterday I took the day off. We just laid around. Mostly on the back deck, admiring the short grass around the edge of the yard, while looking over the hip deep grass in the middle. We were pooped though!

Today I ran with the trainer. It was a flat run on the beach in Costa Rica, and I ran for 2.7 miles with him. He said to keep the RPE at a 4, so I ran at 4mph which kept my heart rate about 138-143. It was good. I could breathe through my nose the whole time, so that's a step up for me! My legs were asking "are we done yet? are we done yet?" but they still soldiered on. We did it! 2.7 miles on the run, then .5 on the cool down. Still a 5k which I am happy about! Even if it took me 50 minutes today. Slow but steady.

LB had a birthday party to go to, so we spent the day at the party then went to martial arts. I feel like I have been running around a lot lately... tomorrow we are riding with the friend on her pony and donkey, then playing with another friend for the afternoon/evening. Friday we are going to the zoo, then LB has a sleepover starting at 4:30. She is going to be bizzz-eee!!! She loves it though. Me? not so much. I'd rather have long quiet days at home to clean, read, get things done, and have quiet. I guess I will have some of that tomorrow when she is playing with friends! I am going to have them all over here tomorrow afternoon so I can work on the house, then Friday she's over at her friends house. So I get some quiet time.

Eventmom: I am so sorry about your pony! That is so scary! I am so glad you found it in time. I'm sorry he had to have surgery! I know how stressful that is. Man, I am just sorry all around, but so, so glad you found it in time. What a week for you! What do you mean by VF is cutting off threads? Are they archiving them, closing them for comments, or just deleting them? That's awful. I don't know what is going on, but I wish Wendy wasn't going through such a stressful time for 7 years that she couldn't give us a few minutes of her time. I will try to check in more often too!!!
The grooming gloves are "hands on" brand. They look like these I have a green pair and a black pair. They are magic!! I groomed the pony last week at LB's lesson, and everyone was walking by, laughing at all the hair I got out and taking pictures. It's so satisfying too to see all that hair come out! Plus they are easy to clean. The hair just releases. I love them.

Ebianco : Wow on people telling you you're pregnant!! That's insane!! I am not well endowed in the chest area either, and I think it makes my belly look bigger than it is. People who have a voluptuous chest can have a belly, and as long as it doesn't stick out as much as their chest, they look fine. My belly is always bigger than my chest, so it looks like I'm pregnant too. I look for shirts that are loose in the belly area, but then I look even heavier. It's a no win. I can't believe how bold people are with you! I guess when the lady said that, I just thought "yeah, I guess you can't see my muscles or the fact that I can run 3 miles under all this padding." it stung, but I understand where she's coming from. I can't tell I workout either. I don't get it. So frustrating!

I can't wait to hear about STS2! Will I regret not getting it? or will I be happy I didn't? Or will I jump on the first "reasonably" priced one I get off eBay when people start trying to unload their unwanted STS2??? I do love STS 1, but STS 2 sounds so different..

Hi Lucie!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-23, 01:57 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA 2.10 day 5 + 20 min shine fitness cardio

sorry to panic everyone about the threads but challenges and checkins only has 2 pages - so I can't find the declutter checkin - can't search and it's not in the first 2 pages. I think we'll be okay but yes like everyone I'm concerned about the problems. I've been hanging out on VF since sometime in the late 1990s ---- yikes!

ebianco - fitprimes 25 years OMG I'm old. I have most of them. I've started DVD hoarding as it seems like no one is making dvds anymore. I'm appalled that people presume that you are pregnant. I remember at a horse trial a friend said something to the started about her being pregnant (she wasn't but the wind blew her top in a way that gave that appearance). Of course my friend's time wasn't right but it taught me do not assume.

buzzer - thank you for the link and they come in purple - my stable colors whoo hoo. Thanks on the pony - it's a bit odd to even try surgery on a pony that age but DH is one to 'try' and so far so good. The vet calls every morning with an update. DD visited him yesterday and we will visit tomorrow. He'll get some water today and they will try giving him a little bit hay this afternoon. you and lb are busy!

hi lucie! hope you are busy and not locked out.

Tags
wall pilates