Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-23, 09:41 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I LOVED The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett! Probably my favorite read of the year so far. It seems I have a "type," as I love quirky, loner main characters who are drawn out of their shell; other books of this type that I have loved include The Maid, Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine, and The Rosie Project. Does anyone have recommendations similar to these?

I have a hold to pick up from the library today - a classic favorite, Phyllis A. Whitney. I read so many of her books as a teen, along with Victoria Holt. I reserved Dream of Orchids, one I don't think I've ever read, because it's set in Key West and DH & I are visiting there for the first time this summer.
Beth - I have terrible booknesia (can’t remember much about a book after reading other than whether I liked it), but I love the wuirly books you described, too. If I’m remembering correctly, you might enjoy The Secret Life of Albert Entwhistle by Matt Cain. I know there are a few more of this type that I really liked, but they just won’t come to mind. I’ll come back to post if I remember.

Also, up thread I spoke of my love for Emily Henry’s romance novels. Sadly, I didn’t enjoy her most recent, Happy Place.
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 09:46 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Trixoo, I love your "booknesia" term! I have that too, which is why I originally started reviewing books on Amazon. But then Amazon became too complicated (remember when they only sold books & music?), so a few years ago, I switched to Goodreads. Now I record everything I read there to keep track! If it's an older book though, sometimes I still have to check Amazon to see if I read it (and sometimes I'm out of luck).

I have a copy of Emily Henry's Book Lovers; I haven't read anything else by them.

ETA:
And that book does look right up my alley; thank you! Another similar recent one I loved was The Reluctant Fortune Teller. I think what I like is the quirky characters who struggle but succeed in the end; the stories are usually very uplifting, but in a real (not Hallmark, haha) way.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-23, 10:06 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I read Defending Jacob and highly recommend it. I haven't read anything else by him. I think he has a new book coming out this year but I can't recall the title.
The new book by William Landay is All That Is Mine I Carry With Me. A good read but not as good as Defending Jacob IMO.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-23, 09:29 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
The new book by William Landay is All That Is Mine I Carry With Me. A good read but not as good as Defending Jacob IMO.
Yes that's it, thank you. I will most likely read it at some point. I'm glad to hear it's good.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-23, 10:03 AM  
difit

Spring reading has moved to a new thread.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...22#post2999822
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-23, 10:30 AM  
Schnauzeritis

Probably my favorite read of the year so far. It seems I have a "type," as I love quirky, loner main characters who are drawn out of their shell; other books of this type that I have loved include The Maid, Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine, and The Rosie Project. Does anyone have recommendations similar to these?

I love these loner main characters too!! I want to read Eudora Honeysett so badly. My library only has the book and I always do the audio and the book. I like to listen in the morning while I'm putting my makeup on. Have you read The Love Story of Missy Carmichael by Beth Morrey? Soooo good. I think you will like it.
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-23, 06:35 AM  
Carol K

I finished The Half Moon before I went on vacation (I loved it) and then I started 48 Clues Into the Disappearance of My Sister by Joyce Carol Oates while I was on vacation. The book takes place in upstate New York and that's where I was, so that was fun.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, spring reading