Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-23, 11:50 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

My Fitness Pal-Annoying Ads

For a time I was using My Fitness Pal (up until about a year ago) They had some pop ups asking you to subscribe to Premium but they weren't very obtrusive and didn't interfere too much with using the app.
I started using it again today as I really need to get a handle on my eating. The ads are SO annoying. They are making it very hard to use the app and I don't need another reason not to track my food. The annual subscription is $80 or $29.99/Month!
Is there another app that can do what MFP does? I hate to switch because I have a lot of the foods and recipes that I eat regularly programmed in there and their database of products is extensive, but IMO the subscription price is outrageous.
I may see if my health insurance will cover it but if anyone knows of a coupon code or other deal I would appreciate it.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 12:01 PM  
Vantreesta

I use MFP daily and haven't noticed an overabundance of ads. I think I do see the subscription one more often than when I first started using it, but I don't even think it's every time I open it. I wonder why some see it more often than others? I'm not about to pay the subscription price either, even though I miss being able to scan barcodes.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 01:23 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Yeah, it's mostly the ad to subscribe to Premium but also ads for other products. It dominates the screen!
Old 01-31-23, 01:34 PM  
Schnauzeritis

I don't use the app but they have a great fitness forum that I visit daily.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/e...s-and-exercise
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 01:39 PM  
sbh

I have been using fatsecret.com. It has a great food database. The fitness database is not as extensive as the food, but I don't really need to track that. So far, I have lost almost 20 pounds. It is really easy to use. I access it on my desktop, so I don't have any idea what it looks like on a phone or tablet.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-23, 01:39 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnauzeritis View Post
I don't use the app but they have a great fitness forum that I visit daily.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/e...s-and-exercise
Thanks! This looks great! I don't suppose they will be discussing alternatives to MFP though.
Old 01-31-23, 01:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
I have been using fatsecret.com. It has a great food database. The fitness database is not as extensive as the food, but I don't really need to track that. So far, I have lost almost 20 pounds. It is really easy to use. I access it on my desktop, so I don't have any idea what it looks like on a phone or tablet.
Thanks! I will check it out.
Old 01-31-23, 01:46 PM  
warriorprincess

That's why I used Carb Manager for most of last year. It's the best of the free versions as far as intrusive ads that I tried, but as the name implies, it's very focused on low carb diets. I'm currently using a paid version of Cronometer, which is pretty good but I wish it had better charts. It's free version is awful though.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-23, 11:24 AM  
TinaT

I use MyFitnessPal Premium app. I like the features and the cost is minimal IMO. I don't pay for streaming workout sites, so this is affordable for me. It's part of my accountability to myself. I obviously don't see any adds as I'm on the Premium plan.

This sinks up nicely with my Garmin Vivo 3 watch. The combo is a great motivator for me to keep going. When I use the two together, I get great results for my mental and physical well being. As of this morning, I'm down 19 lbs.

I'm sure there's plenty of free apps to suit your needs. Good luck.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calorie apps, fatsecret.com, food logging, myfitnesspal