Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-24-23, 10:22 PM  
Leonana

Today was my work cardio workout as usual. I’ve been doing a few leg moves while I’m standing, to keep my feet and legs from hurting. I have to say, after a few months at this job my endurance has increased quite a bit.

I found a Denise Austin Yoga dvd at Goodwill last Sunday, and I did the 15 minute toning workout this evening. It was okay, but some moves were too difficult for me. I think I’ll put it in Share the Wealth. I’m not sure why she put such difficult moves on a home workout dvd that would most like be done by beginner exercisers.

I followed the yoga with one of Cee’s 20 minute strength workouts. I can’t come close to Cee’s weights, and use 8 and 10’s. Unfortunately, I strained my left tricep, I think from the overhead tricep extension. Also, from lifting 42 pounds of cat litter earlier at Costco after work. Maybe the yoga workout. I guess it wasn’t a good combination. This muscle strain feels like a burning sensation, rather than soreness. I’ve never had that before. I hope it isn’t a tear. It bothers me most when I try to stretch it. Hopefully it will heal soon. I googled it, most likely a strain. I overdid it I suppose.

We are having cold weather this week. Yesterday was a high of 51, and it was cloudy. It was about 40 degrees when I started working on the playground at 10 am! We were all freezing. A bit warmer today as it was sunny. I do not like the cold!

Donna, dd seems to be doing ok. She is taking two classes, she wanted to start slow at first. She isn’t getting enough hours, her Starbucks store is slow right now. But she is picking up extra shifts.

Pam, I need to get my yearly check up, along with the dentist and eye appointment. Ugh! I keep forgetting to make them lol.
Old 01-25-23, 09:52 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Let's see...yesterday my Golden did not want to walk - she was happy playing in the yard w/ her ball. She is 10 1/2 and I'm so happy to see that she still likes to and is able to run and play. So, instead of going on a walk w/ her I did one of Jessica Smith's 15 min walks.

Today, so far:

Essentrics 50's Challenge Day # 5 - I just did the standing portion as a warm-up, i may get to the floorwork later.

Jessica Valent - Beginner Upper Body Weights Part 2 - I really like this one -I don't think I have done it before. It was just straightforward weights. I used 8's, 5's and 3's.

Jessica Valent - 10 Min Full Body Stretch

It is dreary out, but above freezing and no snow.

Sherry - that is great that you are seeing improvements in your endurance. As for the DA yoga, yea, I don't understand why instructors put certain moves in videos. One of my pet peeves is the Pilates roll over - I think that is difficult move to do safely and it is one of those that is questionable to put in a video. I just elect not to do it - my back does not have the flexibility plus I'd be afraid of hurting my neck, too. Hope your tricep feels better!

Pam - yea, Baltimore is not a great place at night. It has gone downhill. Philly, too. I hope you are feeling better today.

I'm thinking about adding more Jessica Smith into the mix. I miss her. I am trying to decide if I want to work on her walking workouts and use Jessica Valent for strength OR if I want to do one of her Walk Strong programs.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-23, 03:44 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Today's treadmill walks were pretty fun. I did one in NYC in the Rockefeller Center area filmed around Christmas time. Saw some great locations and buildings...Times Square, GMA, theatre district, NYC Public Library, etc. and the guide was great with all the historical details of the city and how it's changed over the years. Times Square used to be the "red light" district and he talked about the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood and how so much of the city has been cleaned up. Such a fascinating 35 min walk! The other walk was inside one of the largest caves in France and it was quite a climb because it's so deep.

Snow is expected late this afternoon into the evening. Not sure if my hike tomorrow will be canceled.

I spent this morning watching a number of the Nike Training Center workouts on Netflix. There were a number of them that interested me, but especially the "basic training" series of workouts. Some of the workouts are pretty short, which was good to see. I've already picked out a couple of my favorite trainers.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-23, 09:04 PM  
Leonana

Today was Work Cardio and the new Yoga with Cassandra, 15 Minute Gentle Yoga for Flexibility and Stress Reduction. I really like Cassandra’s yoga, although probably because I’m doing the beginner workouts. But I always feel good afterwards. I felt a few twinges in my left arm, but it wasn’t too bad. I think it’s a little better.

Donna, I’m glad your Golden still likes to play. I don’t care for roll overs either, although I can’t do them unless I’m holding weights. The sad thing is people who buy these DVDs get discouraged and stop working out.

Pam, the New York walk sounds interesting. I’ll have to check out those Nike workouts.
Old 01-26-23, 08:58 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

Yesterday, after a full day of sitting, after work, I did:

Senior Shape w/ Lauren - 30 Min Walking At Home - this is the one she filmed this week. It was a nice one. Low key. I find her workouts to be very soothing. The whole vibe of them is relaxing to me.

Senior Shape w/ Lauren - Stretching Exercises for Bedtime this was just a 10 min stretch.

I needed to do something after sitting all day!

Today, so far:

Jessica Valent - Half & Half - All Levels Tabata Style Workout - this wasn't as bad as I feared. She did half standing - it was 4 exercises done for 40 seconds on/20 seconds off repeated 4X. There were three standing circuits and three Pilates circuits (the Pilates focused on planks, abs and bridges). Jessica showed options for beginners - advanced. I kept everything low impact. I am not a fan of squat jumps or anything like that.

Jessica Valent - Juicy Spine Routine - l like this - it is very good for those of us who sit at a desk all day.

Hope everyone has a nice day - Happy Friday Eve!

Donna
Old 01-26-23, 07:18 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

It was too wet to go hiking (and too cold) so I opted out. Instead my treadmill walks were in Iceland power walking to a beautiful water fall. I also caught another water fall on an endurance hike in Utah. Really worked up a sweat today, more than I would have hiking with the ladies. ;-)

DH & I had errands to run so had to venture out, but had fish & chips for lunch. So good, but not the healthiest choice.

I need to decide on a strength program next month that I can be more consistent with. I get on the treadmill and that's all I want to do, as of late. The egg weights are really helping to take things up a notch, though.

Enjoy the remainder of your week all!

Current Rotation:
Old 01-27-23, 08:05 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Last night I added on Ellen's Focused Flow.

This morning I did Ellen's Bend & Extend. We are supposed to have two brief planned power outages today, so I needed to start early and finish early. This was only 20 minutes so it worked well.

I may add more on later today...

Pam - I also need to be more consistent w/ strength.

I'm sort of thinking for next month - following Ellen's weekly schedule, but adding in 3 days of strength training - one for lower, one for upper, and a Pilates routine, and 3 days of cardio using Body Groove. It's a thought anyway. And would get me to use my active subscriptions for a month. I also thought about bringing out one of Jessica Smith's programs...either the 30 day walk program or her Walk Strong 1.0. Can't decide!

Waves, Sherry -

Happy Friday!

Donna
Old 01-27-23, 03:52 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

More walking on the treadmill today to a glacier in Patagonia, Argentina and then in the Sequoia National Park in CA up to the tallest tree. Both very different walks (and scenery) but each trainer was excellent.

Current Rotation:
Old 01-27-23, 08:35 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I didn't realize I hadn't posted here in so long! I've been busy with my physical therapy and work. The beginning of the year is always crazy at work but it should settle down in a couple of weeks. I also had a minor setback with my knee, but it has resolved now. The insurance approved more visits (which was a surprise) so I probably will go another couple of weeks and that will be it.

Other than PT, I've been doing Jessica Smith upper body youtube workouts.

My PT said the knee problem I have is caused by too much sitting, so she told me to pry myself away from the computer during the work day and get walking! I told her I was far more active back when I was going to the office more often and she said to mimic the walking I was doing then on the days I'm home, so I started doing that today. It's amazing how harmful inactivity is and I wasn't even aware of it. I was doing home workouts all during COVID, but I guess just being home all day made me less active in general.

Glad to hear you're all doing well!
Old 01-28-23, 04:39 PM  
Leonana

Thursday and Friday just Work Cardio. Today was house cleaning. No formal workouts. My tricep is feeling better, I'm planning on trying a light strength workout on Monday.

Donna, it's not easy, too many workout options to choose from!

Pam, I love fish and chips.

wishiwasinhawaii, I'm glad you were approved for more PT. I have read that it's healthier to be active all day compared to doing one workout a day. Although, probably healthier to do both. But I have noticed that I'm mentally healthy with a workout added into the mix, I guess getting my heart rate up releases the endorphins.