Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-20-23, 01:15 PM  
donnamp

Nice work, Pam!!!

Maybe your bravery will inspire me!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-23, 01:40 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Donna, Stronger Standing Balance is very good, but I was always grabbing other yoga workouts. It's one of the best for focusing on balance, but the first few segments focus on footwork, hip work, strengthening your core, being aware of what your body is doing and staying focused. You can use a chair (or not) for some of the balance exercises and later you progress to different levels of yoga practices. Jane's instruction is always excellent and mindful.

Another instructor who throws balance work into his videos is Curtis Adams and his workouts are geared toward the senior market. But, he's a little hyper and loud (at times) and he counts every single rep. He is on YouTube, so you can find his stuff easily, but the workouts are very easy. Very much a recovery, light day workout and for those not used to exercise.

Jane is the best, but because you've been doing so much CS, it's probably not a must have video for you. I like when Jessica throws in some balance challenges, too!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-23, 03:51 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Oops, I wasn't paying attention today, lol! That's how some days are for me, haha.

Donna, the Balance and Strength DVD (of Jane's) is also very good! It has nine different sections of various lengths and it's filmed outdoors, unlike the one I referenced above. I have used Balance and Strength more frequently, but it depends on your needs. They are completely different workouts and exercises with this one having more variety and specific body focus for each segment. It also has Tai Chi which is just okay, but it's nice that she has a section to learn the 8 Forms. I have just done other sections more, and like David-Dorian Ross or even Scott Cole for Tai Chi. She also uses a chair in this video for some of the balance exercises and there is some footwork, but not like in Stronger Standing Balance. There's also a section that uses weights (and I like that) and this has some mobility work, that SSB doesn't have. So yes, different...and good!

ETA: My most used of Jane's DVDs has got to be Yoga for Beginners and Gentle Yoga so you've got the best, IMO.

Current Rotation:
Old 02-21-23, 11:00 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

For today I did:

Lively Ladies - Easy Cardio & Strength from 2/20/23 - I don't know that this one was "easy" maybe "simple" is a better word? It was a cardio/strength combo - 2 cardio moves followed by a strength move. The main part of the workout was 24 min, the rest was warm up and cool down. The intervals were 45 seconds on/15 seconds rest but you can work during the rest or take extra rest!

Lively Ladies - Every Day Stretches for Improved Flexibility

Whenever I do a LL workout I enjoy it. But I am learning, I need variety - doing the same instructor or the same type of workout every day just doesn't keep me interested.

Pam - thanks again for the info on Jane and her workouts.

Donna
Old 02-21-23, 01:47 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Total Body Training & Deep Stretch!

Hi Ladies,

Today I did Day 2 with Total Body Training using a set of light and heavy weights. I have various dumbbells scattered throughout my house (mostly light) so I can grab them at a moments notice, lol. Anyway, I didn't have what I needed in my exercise room so grabbed a 2.5lb plate and 7lb weight. For shoulder work, I would have normally used 3's or 4's at least, but the plate was awkward to hold for lateral and front raises, etc. With compound moves I never know what to be ready for, haha. With this I was doing shoulder presses (with my 7's) while lunging.
Overall, I liked this workout. The compound moves were not complicated, so easy to follow along. I liked this one better than Cardio Party, but again I prefer weight work to floor type aerobics. The pace of this was good, not too fast or slow.

My outdoor hike was cancelled today because of the light snow/rain mix we had this morning. If it had been flat terrain, it might have still been on...but it's hilly and lots of wet areas to navigate along the way. So I had a chance to do Jessica's Deep Stretch from WS 3.0. Loved this one! Very, very good! I feel like I don't treat myself (and my body) to stretching and yoga practices enough.

Sherry, hope your cold doesn't last too long!

Donna, good post in GD regarding Pahla!

Have a good day all!

Current Rotation:
Old 02-22-23, 10:36 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Brain Fitness Fun; Balance & Strength!

Hi Ladies,

Today was Brain Fitness Fun....and it really was FUN! Loved it!!! Pace was just right. Nothing was rushed and it was a feel good workout! Where are more Brain workouts like this one? I'm on a quest now to find something more!

I added to this Jane Adams Leg strengthening and stretch exercises from her Balance & Strength DVD. Good stuff here, too!

Last night before bed I did Jessica's Relax segment from her Stretch & Relax DVD. I didn't find it relaxing in the least. It was the oddest workout I'd ever done. She starts with you lying on your tummy and you move your face from side to side (cheek to cheek) trying to relax your neck. There are other oddities. MId-way you're lying on your side, with your hand supporting your bodyweight with a pillow under the thighs. Not comfortable for me (with no pillow) and very strange choice of exercise. And, the last thing I remember is she has you end in corpse pose...and it ends so abruptly. You assume she's going to say something soothing so you can relax...but no. Maybe there was some benefit to this section, but I think it was misnamed. I know there were other sections I liked from this DVD when it was released, haha!

Current Rotation:
Old 02-22-23, 01:04 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

More about the Brain Fitness Fun-like search....

I saw that Jessica had a 15 minute YT agility coordination cardio, but it becomes a little more like speed drills and fast feet type stuff for a few of the exercises. Though that can very much be a brain-fitness activity. My feet won't be able to handle drills, unfortunately. But, I might try ten minutes of the workout to see how I do....and skip the drill stuff.

Current Rotation:
Old 02-22-23, 06:59 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Thing have just really been funky lately - I mean, nothing big or tragic, but just blah. Maybe it is the winter blues. From what I hear from talking to others, they are also experiencing it, too.

Anyway - for my workouts today:

CS 1406 - this was an all-standing routine

Gilad - Cardio Routine from his 60 min Low Impact Workout - this was nice, about 20-25 min of low impact floor cardio on the beach

and then, this evening I did Jane Adams - Gentle Yoga - Standing poses.

Nice work, Pam! Maybe I should re-consider and join you - maybe some structure would get me out of my funk. Thanks for all he notes on Jane Adams. I also need to stay on top of my yoga-CS/Essentrics-pilates!

Sherry - I hope you are doing well and getting over your cold.

Hope everyone has a nice evening -

Donna
Old 02-22-23, 07:33 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I'm back! I've been so busy the past couple of weeks. I had to go on a business "trip" (it was only to NYC) but I had to stay overnight and it felt like a major trip for some strange reason. Maybe because I don't get out that much anymore!

I also finished physical therapy on Monday. I guess I'm a weirdo because I like PT, LOL. I am going to miss it, but the insurance finally said they wouldn't pay anymore. I'm ok with it because I'm SO much better. I can walk up and down stairs now and do other normal things that I wasn't able to do back in November when I first started going. The physical therapist said I can contact her at any time if I have any questions and to keep up with the exercises and ease into any new activities. I've been thinking of trying pickleball and she said that's fine as long as I don't do too much too soon.

For workouts, I'm doing the PT exercises for the lower body and I do random upper body workouts on alternate days. I can't really do a rotation just yet so I'll just keep on this schedule for the foreseeable future.

I'll have to go back and read through your posts to see how you're all doing.
Old 02-22-23, 09:57 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Donna, you usually post in the morning, so I was hoping you were okay today. I think we all go through stuff, whether it has to do with work stress, home life, lack of motivation, etc.

wishiwasinhawaii, glad you're back again and your knee is much better! I actually liked PT, too! But, I don't want to have a reason to return! I had to stop after my insurance wouldn't pay for more visits too, but by that time you know what you need to do.

Sherry, how's that cold of yours? I've managed to avoid it, so far.

Current Rotation: