Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-25-23, 09:48 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Let's see...yesterday my Golden did not want to walk - she was happy playing in the yard w/ her ball. She is 10 1/2 and I'm so happy to see that she still likes to and is able to run and play. So, instead of going on a walk w/ her I did one of Jessica Smith's 15 min walks.

Today, so far:

Essentrics 50's Challenge Day # 5 - I just did the standing portion as a warm-up, i may get to the floorwork later.

Jessica Valent - Beginner Upper Body Weights Part 2 - I really like this one -I don't think I have done it before. It was just straightforward weights. I used 8's, 5's and 3's.

Jessica Valent - 10 Min Full Body Stretch

It is dreary out, but above freezing and no snow.

Nice work, Carol! I had to laugh at both things - "Amy being Amy" - I really do like her but she seems ditzy at times. I'm sure she isn't - she is probably quite intelligent and just new to filming workouts. And, the "snow day" sounds like the ones we have here. I can't tell you how many times schools closed here with no snow or just a tiny dusting (the type of snow where you can see the grass poking out!). I'm sort of glad to be beyond the point of having to deal with those school closures - it was a pain when my DD was too young to stay home alone and really frustrating when schools closed for no reason.

take care!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-23, 08:26 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Wednesday's workouts (at least the ones that I finished) were:

Improved Health - Functional Fitness for Seniors - 20 minutes & 12 Minute Daily Floor Stretch

Jules' Functional Fitness is the workout she posted Wednesday, I think. It was 10 exercises which incorporated strength for everyday life activities. 10 reps each exercise - some used a single dumbbell (I used an 8 lb dumbbell and probably will use a 9 or 10 pound dumbbell next time) and some just used bodyweight (think pushups). Definitely a workout I wouldn't mind doing again.

The Daily Floor Stretch video was filmed (in a hotel room?) overlooking a park in Vancouver. It was just lovely! Nice stretch routine too - a good selection of stretches hitting upper and lower body.

I also did about 10 minutes of Amy's Pilates Challenge and then 10 minutes of one of Jessica Valant's pilates routines and decided I wasn't in the mood for either one...

Donna - Nice workouts! That's my favorite strength workout of all of Jessica's strength workouts. I really like it.
Yes, Amy is plenty smart - a former project engineer for HP - but I think she is pretty new at the filming workouts business.
Our school districts are pretty strict on snow days and often don't call a snow day when I think they should, but they really flubbed Tuesday's call. I'm sure they were kicking themselves over that one. All that means is the next time they won't call it when they should.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-23, 08:55 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

Yesterday, after a full day of sitting, after work, I did:

Senior Shape w/ Lauren - 30 Min Walking At Home - this is the one she filmed this week. It was a nice one. Low key. I find her workouts to be very soothing. The whole vibe of them is relaxing to me.

Senior Shape w/ Lauren - Stretching Exercises for Bedtime this was just a 10 min stretch.

I needed to do something after sitting all day!

Today, so far:

Jessica Valent - Half & Half - All Levels Tabata Style Workout - this wasn't as bad as I feared. She did half standing - it was 4 exercises done for 40 seconds on/20 seconds off repeated 4X. There were three standing circuits and three Pilates circuits (the Pilates focused on planks, abs and bridges). Jessica showed options for beginners - advanced. I kept everything low impact. I am not a fan of squat jumps or anything like that.

Jessica Valent - Juicy Spine Routine - l like this - it is very good for those of us who sit at a desk all day.

Carol - nice job w/ your workouts. I really need to do more w/ Improved Health.

Happy Friday Eve!

Donna
Old 01-26-23, 09:44 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Improved Health - Cardio Kickboxing All-in-One Workout #5 - 42 minutes

This one hit the spot! About 20 minutes of cardio, maybe a little more, then 7 or 8 minutes of strength work with dumbbells, a couple of minutes of balance work, and then a nice 7 minute chair stretch. There was a short breathing meditation at the end.

Donna - Lauren's workouts are relaxing and more challenging than I expect, usually. Good job with Jessica's Half & Half workout - I've been afraid of that one. Jessica fell snowboarding a couple of days ago and hurt her tailbone. She may be taking it easy for a while.

Carol
Old 01-27-23, 08:00 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Last night I added on Ellen's Focused Flow.

This morning I did Ellen's Bend & Extend. We are supposed to have two brief planned power outages today, so I needed to start early and finish early. This was only 20 minutes so it worked well.

I may add more on later today...

Carol - I really need to try some of the workouts on Improved Health. I agree about Lauren's workouts, they are often harder than I expect. I find working out with her to be almost zen-like - sort of like Ellen.

Yikes on Jessica's injury. That sounds really painful and why I don't do those things, LOL!

Donna
Old 01-27-23, 03:42 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were

Improved Health - 10 Minute Workout with Music from the 50's, 60's and 70's - 10 minutes & Day 21 - Leg & Hip Strength - 20 minutes

I enjoyed both of these workouts for something quick I could do on my lunch hour.

Carol
Old 01-28-23, 05:01 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Ellen - Arms & Abs

Dog walk - the weather was nice today, not too cold and not windy so my Golden got treated to a longer walk

Good job, Carol!!

Donna
Old 01-28-23, 08:32 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Improved Health - All-in-One Workout #3 - 40 minutes

Another nice workout from Jules! Roughly 20 minutes of cardio, 10 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of balance, 7 minutes of stretching.

I should have taken our dogs for a walk today, but I didn't. Starting tomorrow it's going to be cold again.

Carol
Old 01-29-23, 01:48 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I tried out one of Improved Health's workouts on You Tube -

All in One Exercise Workout for Seniors & Beginners - 51 min

Overall, I really liked it.

It was set up as a circuit with 2 min cardio 1 min of strength. I believe you go through 10 cycles so you end up with 20 min of cardio.

There was a complete warmu-up and cooldown included. Abs and Balance work were done after the cardio/strength cool down and a chair stretch followed the abs.

The music was decent - pop-ish tunes - stuff you hear in other workouts on You Tube these days.

Jules did cue in this workout but it was very simple so she didn't talk much.

The cardio was not a choreographed routine. The cardio was set up where you do one move for 60 seconds, then move on to another cardio move for 60 seconds. TBH, I found that a bit too long. I would have been happier if she did 4 cardio moves in those 2 minutes - at 30 seconds each. BUT the good new is - b/c you are going for time and at your own pace, you can do that on your own -and make up your own cardio moves to do if you get tired of the moves she is doing. Some were ok for 60 seconds, but i don't like to do 60 seconds of knee lifts, for instance, as that can stress the hip flexors. You can also modify this workout up - go faster, use larger range of motion, use some light hand or wrist weights or even use a step for some of the cardio. So, it does provide lots of options and room to grow.

The strength stuff was one min of basic exercises, squats, bicep curls, triceps, etc. There was one move where she did chest press on a chair - my set up wouldn't work for that so I went to the floor. She mentioned you could also do push ups there.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this and would do more from her channel in the future. I think I previously did one of her walks but this is my first time trying one of these workouts.

She definitely seems to hit all the important parts of exercising for older people - cardio, strength, balance, mobility, etc. And these are important elements for all people!

And, it seems you can modify her stuff up or down as needed, which is also nice.

Will be back later for personals, I have to get some chores done and maybe take a nap, I'm so tired today and it is so dreary outside.

Carol - you have got me on an Improved Health kick!!

Donna
Old 01-30-23, 08:47 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone

Today, so far:

Improved Health - Workout to ABBA - this was just fun w/ the music. Low impact aerobics, pretty basic, no talking. It was about 30 min.

Improved Health - One Month to a Stronger You -Day # 1- this was back, biceps and a little bit of shoulders. I liked the way she did this one - it was slower paced so you can work on good form and really feel the weights. I used 8's, 5's and 3's. She ended w/ a 15 second plank - I have the feeling that by the end of this series you will be holding a plank for 60 seconds.

Yoga w/ Kassandra - 10 Min Morning Stretch - I think this was from last week. She does tend to name her workouts similarly so it is hard to figure out from the name which one is which.

I think for February I'm going to to do Improved Health's strength program -it is 10-15 min of strength training 5 days a week. Strength training is my least favorite and this seems like an easy and painless way of getting it done - and, who knows, I may enjoy it eventually.

So, the goal for this month (February) is 5 days of strength and 5 days of cardio a week. Will do other add ins as well.

I like the shorter strength workouts and the 5 day a week plan - b/c if I get off track it is easy enough to double up one day or use the weekend to make up workouts.

Anyway...it is a Monday...

Carol - you got me on an Improved Health kick, Jules should give you a commission!

Donna

Tags
pilates, wall pilates