Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-07-23, 07:29 PM  
donnamp

Hi!

As hard as it is, sometimes to workout first thing in the morning, I still prefer it - it wakes me up a bit, gets the blood flowing, works out some kinks, etc. I do feel more sluggish when I don't do something in the morning but for some workouts I think my performance would be better in the later part of the day. So I may play with that. I have been exercising in the morning for 20+ years now! Hard habit to break.

Speaking of exercise, I just wrapped up Ellen's Core Cardio. This one can be a bit boring, but for today it was perfect. I had a long day at the event - long commute to get there and back, had to be there early, had a lunch afterwards and then work to catch up on once I got home.

Anyway - it fit the bill.

Looking forward to a "normal" day tomorrow - well, the bathroom contractor will be here, but that is "normal" for now.

Nice job, Carol!!

Have a good evening!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-23, 07:36 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were

Improved Health - 30 Minute Fat Burning Lower Impact Workout - 33 minutes & 12 Minute Daily Floor Stretch

This steady state cardio workout was a new one, released in the last couple of weeks. Jules kept heart rates down by using 45 second work intervals, with 15 second rests. It didn't feel like a Tabata or interval workout though - she didn't have you push that hard.

Donna - I was never an early morning exerciser, but I've always admired folks who could do all that you mentioned and still get to work on time. Late afternoon is my exercise time of choice. I used to do before bedtime exercise but as I aged, that didn't do my ability to sleep any good. So late afternoon it is.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 02:49 PM  
furmomof6

Hi Donna and Carol! It's so nice to see the group still here.

I popped onto to VFF to post a question about Jessica Smith in the GD, but I wanted to say Hello too! I hope you're both doing well! Things are well with me, hubby and the fur-family. I'm still doing Pilates, mostly with MVMT with Cailin and Lauren's Senior Shape on Youtube, with some others for variety. I'm looking forward to the spring to start walking again.

Take care!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 08:27 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Hi Christine! I'm glad you are well. You had a time of it there for a while!

I'm doing a little bit of pilates - Jessica Valant and other YouTube teachers - and a lot of cardio and strength these days, mostly using Jules from Improved Health on YouTube. She has really been hitting my sweet spot these days. I'm also a fan of Lauren at Senior Shape and have done a few of Caitlin's pilates workouts as well.

This check in thread has pretty much dwindled to just Donna and me. I don't think much has changed in my life. DS is still working on his thesis; I'm still working at the School - life goes on. Our dogs are well and sacked out on the couch with me this evening as I'm working on a genealogy project.

Take care and thanks for stopping by to say hello!

Carol
Old 03-08-23, 08:30 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Wednesday's workouts were

Improved Health:
1980s Workout - 30 minutes
Strength - Day 14, Back, Biceps and Shoulders - 20 minutes & Stronger Core on the Floor - Level 1 - 8 minutes

I don't think I've done this strength workout before; I increased my weights on some of these exercises a bit. The Core on the Floor workout was pretty easy - a Level 2 workout comes out next week, which will probably be more my speed.

The 80's Cardio Workout was fun, but not exhausting (although it is pretty fast paced in places).

Carol
Old 03-09-23, 09:52 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

It has just been a busy few days...

Yesterday's workouts:

Ellen - Modern Ineterval
Dog Walk
Ellen - Standing Stretch

Today's workouts (so far):

CS 1410 - I woke up feeling creaky and I needed some CS. I started with 1409, but it was just a quick standing series and then, on to the floor and I wanted more standing, so I skipped the floor work and moved on to 1410 which was an all standing routine..

Caribbean Workout - Step & Boxing - this was fun - I have had these workouts for close to 20 years, hard to believe! But it was a short - 20-ish minute - cardio routine that incorporates the step into some boxing moves. It did take me awhile to get the rhythm down as I'm a bit out of practice with both step and boxing and it also didn't help that the camera sometimes focused on the scenery rather than the steps. Anyway, it was nice to get a quick cardio routine in.

Caribbean Workout - Pilates Plus - Focus on Posture - this was also a nice routine, a little bit of everything.

I will aim for a dog walk later today and i have a dinner date w/ some of my co-workers tonight.

More fun around here - bathroom remodel continues. We are looking at buying a used car this weekend - we are finally going to retire our 2008 and give it to DD's BF. It has over 170K on it and it is just time - plus, TBH, I want to help him out. He ended up getting a lemon of a car and sinking a lot of money into it and now he is stuck. His parents are not able to help him and I admire is perseverance with everything. He is going to sand, seal and replace some boards on our deck in exchange for the car. When my Lab was still with us she was peeing on the deck b/c she didn't want to go down the stairs and it damaged some of the boards. And, my DD is having some health issues - she has reflux and other abdominal/stomach issues. The Dr put her on an antacid but she is going for bloodwork, a test for bacteria (I forget the name of the bacteria but it is a common source of reflux) and an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. I'm a little worried but not overly so. TBH, I think a lot of it is anxiety - I think she is prone to hearburn/reflux but I think the stomach pains and things are anxiety. I think she is nervous/worried about going away to school next year - it is something she wants to do and know she has to do, but something that she is still nervous and anxious about at the same time. She is not going far - either U of MD or U of MD - Baltimore County (UMBC) and both of those schools are within an hour from where we live. She could actually commute to either one if she were willing to deal with the horrible traffic we have around here. But I think she also feels that she needs to go away for her own self growth.

Carol - sorry to abandon you for a few days!!

Christine - it is nice to see you - yes, we are just plugging along! I really like Senior Shape as well - it is a nice channel and Lauren has such a calming demeanor.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rambles.

Donna
Old 03-09-23, 08:02 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Thursday's workouts were

Improved Health - 20 Minute Cardio Drumming Workout - 26 minutes & Strength - Day 15 Legs, Chest & Triceps - 18 minutes

Again, two new to me workouts - The cardio workout used wooden spoons for drumming but I was afraid I would end up hitting my face, the klutz that I am. I just acted like I had wooden spoons. It was a nice workout with a 6 minute stretch tacked onto the end. Jules' strength workout was simple - two exercises with 10 to 20 reps for each exercise. Squats, pushups, tricep kickbacks and a 45 second plank. I subbed skull crushers for the second set of tricep kickbacks and chest press with heavy dumbbells for one set of pushups - just for variety.

It's contract non-renewal season and tensions are getting high in the building. So far we've had 3 non-renewals and there will probably be more. Fun times - not!

Donna - that is so nice of you all to pass your car on to your DD's BF! Sorry your DD is having some stress/anxiety/stomach issues. I think that's so common with today's young people. Lots to be stressed about. Hope your dinner with co-workers was fun!

Spring break starts tomorrow at 4 PM!

Carol
Old 03-10-23, 07:51 AM  
furmomof6

I did Cailin's Total Body Pilates for mobility yesterday. Today is up in the air. I'm considering water aerobics again and there's a class at noon, so we shall see if I go! It's harder in the winter, lol.

Carol, I'm so glad to hear you and your son are doing well, and the fur-babies! I'll check out Jules on Youtube! That's funny about the wooden spoons, I'm the same way! I would for sure end up hitting myself with them.

Donna, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your lab! Was the recently? Our dog is 17 now and has her health issues, but she's hanging in there. That's so nice of you to help our your daughter's BF. He sounds like a good kid. I hope all her tests come back okay! Is h pylori the bacteria they are looking for? I had that once and it was awful. It caused a lot of stomach pain, burning and heartburn.

Have a great day!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-23, 09:48 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday for a bit more activity I did one of Jules' 1 mile Dance Walks, it was fun! I had a hard time motivating myself and my dog to go outside to walk. I am not sure why - it was chilly but nothing terrible. My Golden really just prefers to hang out in the yard and play ball.

Today, so far:

Lively Ladies - 30 Min Strength & Cardio Mix - this was from Monday. I enjoy the LL workouts when I'm looking for something simple and low impact.

Jessica Valent - Full Body Stretch and Release - this one is similar to many of Jessica's other stretch routines. I am sure I have done this one before numerous times.

Christine - yes, I had to put my Lab to sleep in October. She just couldn't walk any more. I thought my Golden would miss her a lot and that I would have to get her a companion right away - but as of now she is enjoying her status as an only dog. My DD and I still volunteer at the shelter and I have seen some dogs there that I thought about adopting, but I also don't want to rock the boat for my Golden. She is going to be 11 this year. However, there is one dog there that touches me - she has been there almost a year - her owner died and no one was able to take her in. She doesn't show well in the shelter so she has not been adopted. I am interested in seeing if she and my Golden can get along and maybe see about doing a foster or trial adoption or something. She is the funniest looking dog - I think she is a Boston Terrier mix, although they list her as a Pit Mix. Maybe - she has a Boston Terrier head, though.

I will have to try Caitlin - I am sure I have looked at her channel before. Also Robin Long is having a special - one month free and then it is $37 (!!!) a month. I still consider subscribing to Trifecta Pilates from time to time. She is $30 a month.

I still have my Jessica Valent and Ellen Barrett subscriptions. I think those are the only two I have now. I put my Essentrics TV on pause for 3 months and I'm just using the DVDs for now.

Carol - yes, I just hope DD's situation is anxiety. The antacid is helping as she says she hasn't had heartburn since taking it.

Hope everyone has a nice Friday!!

Donna
Old 03-10-23, 08:39 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were

Improved Health - 25 Minute Dance Workout - 28 minutes & Strength - Day 16 Chest, Back, Biceps and Triceps - 20 minutes

Again, both of these were new to me. This is probably the most challenging strength workout I've done to date of Jules' workouts. She combined the exercises so that you were doing 2 back exercises in one set. I'm not explaining this very well - for example, one regular back row, followed by one back row with your palms turned forward would be one rep. Or a chest press followed by a chest fly would be one rep. I think I'll be sore tomorrow. I noticed that I'm already sore from all the squats that Jules does. Not horribly sore, but sore when I do the exercise again.

I noticed a new to me pilates channel on YouTube - Pilates by Kristine. She started a Spring Challenge this week: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...pp5gz-CpLPSj3z . I'm hoping to do some of her workouts this weekend and next week as I will have a little bit more time than usual.

Donna how is DD today?

Christine - I can imagine that it would be much harder to go to water aerobics in the winter. I don't much like being in the water anyway. If it was the least bit cold, that would probably keep me from going.

Carol

Tags
pilates, wall pilates