Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-27-22, 03:49 PM  
cyana

Beth - Looks like we were cross-posting earlier. I thought of you immediately when I saw that sloth video! I'll check out that video link for the lower body work - thanks. Not sure if I'm up to 45" of lower body work right now, LOL! The lake pictures are lovely - that's impressive about the water being so clean. That's some house and just a wee bit out of my price range! I watched the original Queer Eye years ago.

I also came across this quick how to video for how to grow ginger, garlic and lemongrass at home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pFvQ7f_gbI I've always put my ginger directly into the dirt. I've never tried to grow garlic and my initial attempts with lemongrass didn't end well (the cuttings were mushy, but I didn't trim them up as much as the video shows, so perhaps that's where I went astray). Here's another video about growing veggies from kitchen scraps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlp_MgVJCYc I thought this was interesting and definitely makes me want to give some of these a try.

Looks like we would all celebrate the discovery of some comfortable shoes!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-22, 09:12 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: The Upper Body routine from Jessica Smith's original Walk Strong set.

Beth: I've got things pretty much wrapped up at work. I'm not committing to anything in retirement unless you count going to my new gym. I like the idea of waking up four weeks from today with my Life as a blank slate. This is, however, a retirement on a budget, so I'm thinking in terms of lots of walking and other fitness activities, books and videos, cooking and baking again, continued participation on my homeowner board. My niece has some ambitious plans for her new yard and wants me to help! There are lots of short trip possibilities right in my Northern California backyard. I have several neighbor friends to do little activities with. So I don't think I'll be bored!

Paine: When I was about 12 our family lived in Huntington Beach. Loved going to the beach there!

Pat58: There is a new Whole Wallet purportedly going in close to my new gym, so I'll likely be visiting there regularly.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-22, 10:20 AM  
cyana

Good Morning -

This AM:
ETV Dyan's 8.24.2022 Class
Clamshells 15 (each side) x 3 sets
Hip raises 15 x 3 sets
Quad (straight leg) raises 15 (each side) x 3 sets
Morning stretch routine

Sandra - I'm jealous of your post-retirement life. Hoping I'll get there one of these days! Your niece seems to be embracing having her own place - including already thinking about landscaping.

Waves to ALL!

Old 08-28-22, 10:38 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Greetings all! I went to the beach for an easygoing walk yesterday evening and got some errands caught up. I also finished a book, Beach Girls by Luanne Rice. She's a local author and incorporates local towns and sights, and I wanted a good beach read. This one gets a meh rating. It's one of her early ones and closer to a paperback romance than her later ones.

Cyana, good job doing your hip raises and clamshells. Thank you for the WW feedback. Nice scores at the farmer's market.

Sandra, it's going to be so nice to be able to sleep in whenever you want.

Beth, I'm also contemplating a four day work week. Maybe in a year or two.

Good morning Paine, Carolyn and Margot! I hope Pam is safe and enjoying her travels.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-22, 12:27 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Popping in to say hello from Saint Brieuc France!

We are feeling great and enjoying exploring Brittany. We have done a lot of walking, but no formal workouts. The food here is amazing, the weather has been great, & it’s so beautiful and historic.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-22, 05:48 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: Pretty much all of the lower body exercises from all of Margaret Richard's Good For You. This DVD is a little less intense than most of her others, so it is a good one for "going long." Also did my own warmup and stretches.

Pat58: Several people have talked about how I'll be able to sleep in during my retirement. However, I know myself and I'm sure I'll still be getting up at 5:30 cuz I can't help myself LOL. OTOH regular afternoon naps are something to look forward to!

Yogapam: Good to hear from you! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-22, 06:40 AM  
Twigs

Sorry to be MIA for the past few days. I've been focusing on redecorating a guest bedroom, which always takes me longer than planned. After painting the walls and woodwork, I figured I then needed to reupholster a chair and stool, as they were looking a bit dated. Exercise-wise, I've done a couple of walks and managed to fit in Jessica's Split Strength (Lower and Upper Body) but that's about it.

This morning I did:
- Ellen's new Core Walk
- HealthBarre 30 minute Total Body Sculpt
- Karin's Slings Nourishment Side to Side (YT)

Paine - The day at the beach with your grandsons sounds like fun. Is it very crowded where you are? Most of the beaches here are really busy during the summer months.

Carolyn - Sorry your vacation wasn't as restful as you'd hoped. We need to re-do our patio at the back of the house soon and are not looking forward to all that heavy lifting! I've been doing some of Joelle's shorter classes in the evenings. I thought I may try her challenge in the next couple of weeks.

Cyana - With regard to lower body exercises, I remember from one of Karin's workshops that the adductor magnus and obdurator internus muscles are dynamic stabilisers of the hip and femur. When I first started doing more adductor work, I found one of mine quite weak. The class I did this morning focusses on the adductors, just in case you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KtJStjLT5k

Pat - It can't have been fun having to undergo all that testing but I'm happy the results were all clear.

Sandra - It sounds as though you have lots of fun things planned for your retirement. I'm an early bird too. My party girl days are over, as I'm usually ready for bed by 9.30 pm!

Pam - I'm glad to hear you're in great health and enjoying Brittany. I love the pâtisseries in France. It's making me think about going back to France for a vacation.

Beth - Hope you're enjoying your mini-break.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-22, 07:07 AM  
cyana

Moan-Day condolences. I will be holding Moan Day Mass this morning should anyone wish to attend. Dress code is come as you are. I'll be leading the choir with T-shirt and shorts underneath my choir robe, and with bare feet, no make-up and wet hair. And with a cup of coffee in hand.

Talk about the world's dumbest work-out related self-injury - I had a dining room chair sitting off to the side while I was doing Essentrics yesterday and whacked my left hand on it. The joint at the base of my index finger started getting sore yesterday afternoon and my index finger is sore and slightly swollen this AM. I'd put some Volraten gel on it, but after I read how toxic that medication is to cats, I'd be afraid I'd transfer it to something since it's my hand. Oh well, I shall survive.

Waves to Pam. I'm happy to hear you're having a wonderful trip.

Margot
- Thanks for that recommendation. It is interesting to find our muscle weakness. I'm impressed that you can upholster furniture!

This AM:
BFR lower body - stability ball wall squats - 20 reps x 3 sets, calf raises on mini-step 20 reps x 3 sets, stability ball crunches x 50. Morning stretch routine.
Hoping for a live Lee class this evening. If he's away, I'll pull out a DVD or do something from YT.

Need to dig out my week of emails. Yippee! Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start.

Old 08-29-22, 09:32 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning everyone! Happy Moan Day! Yesterday I accomplished:

~ GYM for 15 recumbent bike and 30 weight machines
~ Bird Yoga in Bed
~ 4,543 steps

Ow, Cyana what a sure way to ruin a workout. I hope your hand feels better soon.

Margot, I bet the guest room is beautiful. You are handy with a needle to have the skills for home upholstering.

Oh Sandra I wish I had that morning energy. My plan is to wear pajamas for a month.

Hi Pam, good to hear from you!

Waves all.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-22, 09:46 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Margaret's Good 'N Strong Volume 1 all: Upper Body workout, abs and Lower Body workout
Jackie's Essentrics class

Margot, painting walls is functional fitness, for sure!
It was not very crowded on Friday when we went to the beach. The kids who lived in that beach city had already started back to school. Our 7 year old grandson starts back to school today.
Have you ever taken the Chunnel to France and if so, is it scary?

Cyana, sorry about your hand. If you have disposable exam gloves, you could put Volraten gel on the injured part of your hand then wear the exam glove to protect your cat. I use exam gloves when I do food prep in the kitchen or washing the floor so I have a big box of them.

Pat, I'm laughing at your plan to wear pajamas for a month--good idea!

Beth, enjoy your trip to Skaneateles Lake!

Sandra, do you like living in Sacramento more than in Huntington Beach?

Pam, it's nice to hear from you!

Hello to Carolyn, Garrie, DonnaD and all who visit!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, kassandra reinhardt