Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 07-01-21, 10:21 AM  
Libby

Yoga Mat & Sweatbands

I have yet to find a yoga mat that I don't slip on when I get sweaty. I just bought a Gaiam mat that claims to be nonslip but I'm slipping on it when I sweat. It feels really sticky so I thought it might work. Any suggestions?

Also, I wear sweatbands when I workout and they can get really sweaty and stinky. I wash them in really hot water and dry them in my dryer (but it takes too long to dry them) but they still seem to stink. Any suggestions on how to clean them or do you know of any lightweight sweatbands that might work better. I'm thinking that sense they are heavier bands that might be the problem.

Thanks for your input!
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 10:50 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
I have yet to find a yoga mat that I don't slip on when I get sweaty. I just bought a Gaiam mat that claims to be nonslip but I'm slipping on it when I sweat. It feels really sticky so I thought it might work. Any suggestions?
I have a Jade Harmony mat which is my stickiest by far; I use it for hot yoga.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 10:51 AM  
fanofladyvols

I have had good success using white vinegar as a fabric softener with smelly stuff. And for more offensive items I soak them in a basin full of warm water and a cup of white vinegar.

As far as your yoga mat, have you tried yoga grippy socks? They are fairly inexpensive at TJmaxx/Marshall's.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 11:18 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Soaking in white vinegar and then tossing in the laundry with everything else has worked for me when I bought used t-shirts online and they smelled really mildewy. I thought they were beyond saving actually but the vinegar did the trick.

Back when I used to do yoga workouts occasionally and had sweaty feet/hands, I got a rubber yoga mat (think the exact brand I bought isn't available anymore). It was pretty rough/grippy though even though that one had a bad review or two about people saying sweat made it slick. So YMMV. Downside to the mat was it weighed 5lbs or so and I was lugging it across campus.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 12:15 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I made some great DIY sweatbands by tearing strips from XL men's cotton tee shirts. Not glam (or for public viewing) but they are absorbent and can be washed in hot water with bleach if desired.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 01:20 PM  
Vantreesta

I also use vinegar in the laundry for odors. My workout clothes were always smelling sweaty even after washing so I use Tide Sport for them with vinegar added and it's much better. I use vinegar for all laundry, though, not just my gym clothes.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 05:47 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I spritz down my mats (Gaiam) with a DIY solution in a spray bottle of 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar. And I add a couple drops of dish soap and essential oil to the mix and shake.) I use a microfiber towel to wipe my mat down. It's helped somewhat, but at least mat is clean.

I got a new TPE mat recently and it's very slick because it's made of foam material that's supposed to be more natural. I think it needs to be broken in, but it's very pretty with a photograph of an ocean sunset. The mat itself isn't very thick but I have an older Gaiam mat underneath so it's better.

I use the grippy socks and gloves in the winter, but I prefer to have hands and feet free.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 06:27 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh white vinegar is a great idea. When my boys played hockey and I had REALLY stinky stuff to wash, I found Fresh Wave laundry additive. It works pretty well, but in retrospect I wish I had tried white vinegar to see if that would have worked.
Old 07-09-21, 08:25 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Mats are so individual! As others have suggested, you might have better luck searching for one for one that works for "hot yoga."

I don't wear grippy yoga socks myself most of the time, but sometimes I like them when teaching. I prefer the ones with open toes/heels so that your feet can still feel the floor. I have these by Gaiam:
https://smile.amazon.com/Gaiam-Yoga-.../dp/B07THGDH8P

And here is a similar shorter style:
https://smile.amazon.com/Non-Slip-Pi.../dp/B095NX72W5

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-21, 04:43 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I have a Jade Harmony mat which is my stickiest by far; I use it for hot yoga.
I also have a Jade mat and it is very non slip without feeling sticky if that makes sense. I used it for hot yoga, which I haven’t done since Covid hit, and lately on top of my 6’ round mat at home. I clean all my mats with my steam mop floor cleaner.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sticky mat, yoga mat, yoga mats