Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-17, 07:52 AM  
joyfulnana

Just gratefully celebrated my 59th birthday, which is my 4th ABCD (after breast cancer diagnosis). I discovered Classical Stretch on a PBS special and since Dec 31, 2014 have only missed 3 days of getting my daily fix! After a year or so, I noticed all of my pants became very loose in the waist, but the best results are increased mobility, flexibility, most days free of pain, and I really do "have a bounce in my step", the title of 1014, one of my favorite episodes! Last winter, I had a series of lower body injuries from falls, so I used a lot of the pain relief episodes. A medication I'm on for the BC has resulted in osteopenia, but my doctor says that it's mild and my daily weight bearing exercise will help reduce further bone loss. I look forward to my Classical Stretch/Essentrics workout each day, and as my schedule allows, fit in some weight training that I enjoy, kettlebells are my current favorite. I also have an active lifestyle, doing 2 walks a day with my 3 greyhounds, and keeping up with my 2 &4 year old grandsons. I start each day with meditation and fit in some relaxing yoga most days. The key for me is not sticking to a prescribed rotation, but listening to what my body is telling me it needs that day, and finding a match. Consistent exercise for me not only enriches the quality of my life, but has truly been lifesaving!
joyfulnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 07:57 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I have been working out consistently for over 20 years now. It is not one program or another that brings results. It is consistency itself. No matter what you enjoy or decide to do, I have found that you just have to be consistent. I like to cross-train. I do cardio, weights, barre, yoga and pilates. I like all kinds of different instructors, I used to be a huge Firm fan. I still love the Firm, but I really prefer barre style workouts now with lighter weights. I do use the Pink Firms more now than I did when they first came out. I can't do high impact anymore, so I do a lot of walking with Leslie or on the treadmill. Love to walk outside whenever I can. Consistency really is key. When you fall off the fitness wagon due to illness, or whatever, just get back on and go from there. Don't give up!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 09:35 AM  
TinaT

JackieB ~ I so respect your dedication to CS. Your motivation seems to have never budged, with results to show.

I also know that with what is already on my plate I need to be willing to be flexible as to when I workout. Mornings are preferred, but I need to be ok with it being some other time if that isn't doable. I've never been flexible with this...EVER. If it didn't happen in the morning, it didn't happen.

What I know for sure: I always felt great after combinations of CS, barre and a few pilates here and there. So, the question remains, keeping motivation and not burning out. My life is not going to slow down any time soon in regards to being a caregiver for my mom. So, I need to accept that and work with it.

I just love reading all the responses. Thank you.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 10:21 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
1. You can't out run what you can eat. Nutrition is king.
2. Consistency is paramount. No one gets it done in one workout every now and again.
3. Commitment- I'm always amazed when a new DVD or system shows up and a week later people are asking those using it about their "results." Really? Yes there may be some quick changes - I dropped a pants size in a little over a week - but the real long reaching results take longer, not forever but longer.

I've been doing Callanetics, almost exclusively since late September. I'm working out less than I had been before, rarely more than an hour, most often 30-45 minutes. I do have a lot of active steps that are automatically a part of my life.

In the time I've devoted to exploring Callanetics I've seen really positive changes. The biggest is realignment of a previously painful postural deviation. My ribs are no longer thrusting, hamstrings and quads more balanced, both hamstrings equally long.

On top of that I've been watching my body move towards the body shape that Callanetics promotes. My thighs are tightening and are rock hard. Butt lifting, stomach tightening, increases LB definition, interestingly enough skin smoothing, though that could be helped by my fascia blaster and/or sauna.

I'm lucky that the workout never bores me. There are so many form elements to concentrate upon! The streaming site also provides more WOs than I've had time to try.
Quoting myself to say that Commitment to one method isn't important if your goal is cardio respiratory fitness and possibly even strength and flexibility.
It becomes important when your goal is to obtain the results touted by a particular program. It only makes sense to give it a fair shake. I also think it's important when your goals are aesthetic and/ or realignment and pain relief.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 10:46 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
JackieB ~ I so respect your dedication to CS. Your motivation seems to have never budged, with results to show.

I also know that with what is already on my plate I need to be willing to be flexible as to when I workout. Mornings are preferred, but I need to be ok with it being some other time if that isn't doable. I've never been flexible with this...EVER. If it didn't happen in the morning, it didn't happen.

What I know for sure: I always felt great after combinations of CS, barre and a few pilates here and there. So, the question remains, keeping motivation and not burning out. My life is not going to slow down any time soon in regards to being a caregiver for my mom. So, I need to accept that and work with it.

I just love reading all the responses. Thank you.
Given the stress and full schedule, why not doing a CS episode every day, and a ten minute barre workout? I don't like to skip my CS...I feel so good doing it. I really think the ticket is finding what you love to do...and then just move every day.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 11:05 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I'm not sure I can add anything very useful that hasn't already been said here, but I'll try..... I've been a mostly consistent exerciser since I was 15 years old and I'm 55 now. What I have had "consistently" over the years is a healthier & more youthful look (not just my opinion, people have told me this all the time for years) than my peers, in addition to healthier biomarkers, I guess you could say. I have had a few times when my look has changed more noticeably: 1) like many of you, with the original Firm(s) 2) when I did Cathe's STS (and note that I was not actually happy seeing myself with the added muscle -- I don't seem to have the frame for it) and now 3) with Pilates by Lisa, which I've only been doing since mid-October but I've done it pretty much daily since then, my hips/legs have slimmed down proportionally more than they ever have doing anything else. I'm sure the age I was at the times I did these play into both my physical results but also the mental bonus I got doing them. I really enjoyed STS and it was fun to feel myself getting stronger. It's just that in the end, that look wasn't for me and I got tired of feeding a hungry me all the time. I have learned some things about fueling my body, so I suppose these days if I did STS I may have different "results" in that sense, but I just have no mental desire to go there again.

Some of you have come through some serious challenges and I'm not very good at saying the right words about those things but wanted to acknowledge that my heart goes out to you and I will remember you as inspiration if I'm ever challenged similarly.

ETA: I didn't say this explicitly but it may have been clear..... those times when I got "results" I really loved the workouts at the time -- in a way I know you can relate to -- would wake up each morning with anticipation of what my workout would be. I count that as results too.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 11:38 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Quoting myself to say that Commitment to one method isn't important if your goal is cardio respiratory fitness and possibly even strength and flexibility.
It becomes important when your goal is to obtain the results touted by a particular program. It only makes sense to give it a fair shake. I also think it's important when your goals are aesthetic and/ or realignment and pain relief.
I so agree with this.

And bee-beautifully said.
Old 02-11-17, 11:39 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Given the stress and full schedule, why not doing a CS episode every day, and a ten minute barre workout? I don't like to skip my CS...I feel so good doing it. I really think the ticket is finding what you love to do...and then just move every day.
And I love this!
Old 02-11-17, 11:54 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Lots of great, sensible, doable advice here and many 'VF heroes' (like Jeanne Marie ). And by heroes, I mean those who have consistently kept health and fitness at the forefront of their lives, whatever their level. You are all inspirations, believe me.

Like you Tina I've wavered so many times in my fitness commitment, and for far less noble reasons than yours. And of course I've lost strength over the years (though luckily my regains are fairly rapid). But I've recently promised myself to do (at least) 30 minutes of formal exercise, 5-6 days a week. This time I'm not making my usual mistake of just sticking to one instructor or method. Instead I've loaded my cart with the appropriate length and level of DVDs I enjoy and choosing daily from them. No over thinking, just GO, lol. So far, so good.

Tina, I wish you success in finding your motivation. I'm admittedly not one for check-in's - I keep forgetting about them - but I'd be happy to be your personal check-in buddy if you like for the accountability. Good luck whatever your direction!

Cheri, you make me *really* want to subscribe to PBL, lol. Am I right in thinking she has some free beginner workouts on YouTube?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 12:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I enjoy these threads, especially when people focus on what has helped them fitness-wise, not nutrition. I KNOW nutrition is important (I think most of us do), and I'm pretty consistent in that area--if anything, my diet has steadily improved. Yet throughout the past 10 years or so, my weight has varied with about a 10 lb. range. I'm always within normal weight for my height, but sometimes I'm at the high end, sometimes at the low end. For me, it seems to have the most to do with exercise and other factors, NOT nutrition.

Anyway, right now I'm at the high end, and I'm trying to figure it out--my weight started creeping up last May after having been very stable at the low end for about 18 months. I think there might be some thyroid stuff going on (I won't go into that), but I also try to look at my past exercise records to figure out what was working for me. The one time I seemed to drop a few pounds related to something I was doing exercise-wise was when I started using kettlebells--when I was doing them several times a week, I dropped a few pounds. Unfortunately, I just don't seem to have the stamina for that anymore. But I've also lost weight when I've stopped exercising for a week or two, such as when I've been on vacation or when we moved. So I'm still trying to figure it out!

Henry, I'll be interested in your thread about whether you do what you want or what you think you "should" do; I struggle with that dilemma exercise-wise all the time.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm 90 day rotation, results, successful weight loss