Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-17, 10:35 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Tina, I've been there, trust me. I cared for both of my parents through long illnesses until their deaths. I also cared for my husband until his death. Honestly though, working out was what kept me sane during those times.

I can remember when my Dad was at his sickest, we had hospice coming in. What I would do was go for a run while they were here giving him his bath and medications. It was the only time I had to myself, so that's what gave me the most stress relief. My mom was almost the same situation, with having friends spell me for an hour or so every few days so I could do some sort of workout. With my husband, he was in the hospital for quite some time, so my working out took a back seat for a few months. It had to of course, and that was fine. After he died, getting back to it while grieving for him was the best thing I could do. It helped me heal and find my joy again. I can tell you there were some dark days... I can remember crying through many a workout. But life goes on, and for me, my fitness is the basis of my health and happiness.

Good luck to you! You can do this!
Yes, JM, for me, fitness has been my solace at stressful times! I've done barre moves on the guardrail of my son's hospital bed while he's slept, anything to relieve the stress and move around a bit. It's a much healthier way to deal with stress than eating, drinking, shopping or any other coping modalities that people typically use. I also draw on my faith, but honestly, in times of extreme stress, even praying is hard. I'll send up SOS prayers and then move around, just feeling thankful that I can move.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 10:37 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i have a folder on my browser where i bookmark success posts from VFers - bonafide success posts. VFer juberann has had a couple of threads that motivated me. it was her consistency and not the rotation that led to her results.

the bonafide ones entail at least a 6 month duration.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 10:46 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Yes, JM, for me, fitness has been my solace at stressful times! I've done barre moves on the guardrail of my son's hospital bed while he's slept, anything to relieve the stress and move around a bit. It's a much healthier way to deal with stress than eating, drinking, shopping or any other coping modalities that people typically use. I also draw on my faith, but honestly, in times of extreme stress, even praying is hard. I'll send up SOS prayers and then move around, just feeling thankful that I can move.
(((Hugs)))

Yes, sometimes when things are so dire, prayers are hard aren't they? I too have extreme faith, but I just have to add in the physical activity to stay sane and grounded.

And I would also agree that anything will work as long as you are consistent. It really isn't completely about "what" you do, as it is more about just doing something. Another mind set that has worked for me for 40+ years, is not having the idea that I'm striving for a specific goal, or a certain date. It's a lifetime commitment and it's never going to end. It's an essential part of living for me. And yes, I am also so very thankful to have the ability, the strength and the opportunity to do what I do.
Old 02-10-17, 10:57 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
(((Hugs)))

Yes, sometimes when things are so dire, prayers are hard aren't they? I too have extreme faith, but I just have to add in the physical activity to stay sane and grounded.

And I would also agree that anything will work as long as you are consistent. It really isn't completely about "what" you do, as it is more about just doing something. Another mind set that has worked for me for 40+ years, is not having the idea that I'm striving for a specific goal, or a certain date. It's a lifetime commitment and it's never going to end. It's an essential part of living for me. And yes, I am also so very thankful to have the ability, the strength and the opportunity to do what I do.
Thank you, and yes, yes, yes, totally agree. It's why I don't typically participate in the many fitness or nutrition challenges that come across my newsfeed anymore. It's just a way of life, and that's how I want it to be.

Quote:
I have to issue a disclaimer here and say that I really have no other life. It would be funny if it weren't true. But it's what I love, and it has gotten me through the last 2 years. And at 60 years old I'm definitely in the best shape of my life!
I did LOL at this, because I was in the best shape of my life when fitness was pretty much all I had! Once I 'got a life,' I was no longer in such great shape, and at the time, that depressed me. But I was also in my early 20's, unemployed and living with my parents. I looked and felt amazing, but I really had no life apart from that! (My parents had moved when I was in college, so I didn't even have any friends where they lived. I worked out to FIRM videos, so there wasn't even anything social about my workouts.) But what you are describing sounds like a wonderful community, and as long as you aren't courting any overuse injuries, sounds like a great life to me!
Old 02-10-17, 10:58 AM  
blueskies

"Visible" results for me (eliminated cellulite, reduced body fat) are really all about consistency with diet. I so wish I would've known that back in the 80s when I started exercising--I could've saved myself so much time and money!

Once I got consistent with my eating plan and lost the excess cellulite and fat, I then could be very picky about what exercises to do. I have a basic total body 10-15 minute strength routine I do nearly every day (skipping it when I do shovel max lol), and try to get in 10K steps. This has worked beautifully, both "visible" results and "non visible" results-wise. For me, I have just the right amount of muscle definition, and because my workouts aren't exhausting and are enjoyable, I haven't gotten sick due to wearing myself out.

I think the most important thing is to really look at your personality type, body type, what motivates you, and what absolutely turns you off. Build your exercise plan around that, and use diet to lose fat. Be consistent with it, and you'll get results!

PACE Express rotation: completed 11/14/12

Life is a wonderful thing even with the difficulties that are sprinkled in.
~little bird from VF

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean
blueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 11:11 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Thank you, and yes, yes, yes, totally agree. It's why I don't typically participate in the many fitness or nutrition challenges that come across my newsfeed anymore. It's just a way of life, and that's how I want it to be.

I did LOL at this, because I was in the best shape of my life when fitness was pretty much all I had! Once I 'got a life,' I was no longer in such great shape, and at the time, that depressed me. But I was also in my early 20's, unemployed and living with my parents. I looked and felt amazing, but I really had no life apart from that! (My parents had moved when I was in college, so I didn't even have any friends where they lived. I worked out to FIRM videos, so there wasn't even anything social about my workouts.) But what you are describing sounds like a wonderful community, and as long as you are courting any overuse injuries, sounds like a great life to me!
Yep, same mindset. The challenges really don't interest me either. I don't need them honestly. Just last month my gym had a "30 day challenge". Everyone was vowing to work out longer, more, better, consistently, eat better, etc. I couldn't even participate because I already do those things as a matter of course. I did say that I would vow to drink more water/stay better hydrated, but that was the extent of what I could do with a challenge. LOL!

And yeah, people are constantly amazed that I have the 1) time and 2) the energy to do what I do. I tell them that it really is just my life circumstances that allows me to do this to the extreme that I do. I am widowed, I am financially stable, and I am healthy (thank you, God). I also tell them that with this level of activity comes a responsibility on my part to stay healthy and strong by eating lots of good food and getting lots of good sleep. There really is no other way to to keep up this level of activity. My down time isn't filled with any other responsibilities (job, family, etc) so I spend it recovering and getting ready for the next go round. Maybe some day I'll change gears, but for now it's what's working for me!

ETA: I'm going on a cruise with a girlfriend in March! I just thought I'd throw that in so everybody would know that I do have a "little bit" of a life sometimes. Haha! I'm going with a dear friend who lost her husband just a year before I lost mine. We are both so excited! We've also determined exactly what the fitness opportunities are on the ship.... they have classes every day, and of course a full gym. So now I know I can be gone a week without losing my mind.
Old 02-10-17, 11:20 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

You're living the dream, Jeanne Marie!
Old 02-10-17, 11:22 AM  
mbcatac7

Hi,

It really comes down to nutrition for me more than anything, but my best results from various workouts.

1. Run/Walk 2-3 miles 3 days a week, Body for Life(book) weight training, I had used my Bowflex at home.

2. JNL Fusion- did 60 day workout schedule

3. Z-Cut Cardio DVDs.. my stomach looked the best after these

4. FeFit- 28 Summer Shape up, noticeable slimming results

5. Crossfit 4 days a week, and 1 day Zumba a week. My body was toned, even though I was still overweight. My legs and arms looked great.
Old 02-10-17, 11:35 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
You're living the dream, Jeanne Marie!
Thanks, Stephanie!

You made me smile. Just saying that to me proves that life really is all about what we make of it. Losing my DH was easily the worst thing that ever happened to me. Devastating. Life altering. My only choice was to make my life the best it could be without him. And that's what I'm doing. Thanks for your wise words, and as always your kind and thoughtful spirit.
Old 02-10-17, 11:40 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Thanks, Stephanie!

You made me smile. Just saying that to me proves that life really is all about what we make of it. Losing my DH was easily the worst thing that ever happened to me. Devastating. Life altering. My only choice was to make my life the best it could be without him. And that's what I'm doing. Thanks for your wise words, and as always your kind and thoughtful spirit.
Thank you for your graciousness--I realized after I wrote that it might sound insensitive since you lost your dear one not long ago! So thank you for taking it in the spirit in which it was intended! I do admire your tenacity in pursuing a beautiful, enjoyable life after such hardship. I can only imagine how easy it would be to be mired down in grief. I find I can SO easily go to the place of self-pity. SOS prayers and activity can really be life savers!

Tags
firm 90 day rotation, results, successful weight loss