Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-14, 02:13 PM  
KaeLaVie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
If you don't mind my asking, are there pelvic floor exercises other than Kegels? I've never had to worry about it and figured it wouldn't be a problem since I'm not having kids, but I guess that's not really an assurance that I'll never have issues, is it? Thanks!
I don't have children either...Though child birth increases risk for pelvic prolapse etc, it is not the only cause. Aging - menopause, reduced estrogen and even certain types of exercise. At this point, a lot of experts are touting squats as a good way to strengthen the pelvic floor. I like that - I bet that's something most of us do regularly
KaeLaVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14, 02:17 PM  
KaeLaVie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
I generally get 11k an hour on my Bellicon, which ends up being 5.5 miles per hour. It gets the steps in really quick.

Cheryl
Cheryl is the energizer bunny! Most people in my rebounding group average 6000 to 7000 steps per hour when rebounding at a jogging pace, jumping jacks, twists etc. I can speed it up and do fast runs, but cannot maintain it for an hour. I just get so much joy from the dancing and leaping that I don't focus on getting the max steps for hour, just having fun. It also is dependent on your stride and how that is set on fitbit. I tend to use my rebounder a lot through the day - off and on and then at night, I watch any tv shows while on it...So I can get many, many steps in on a good day in addition to my regular workout and/or walks.
Old 10-02-14, 02:28 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaeLaVie View Post
Cheryl is the energizer bunny! Most people in my rebounding group average 6000 to 7000 steps per hour when rebounding at a jogging pace, jumping jacks, twists etc. I can speed it up and do fast runs, but cannot maintain it for an hour. I just get so much joy from the dancing and leaping that I don't focus on getting the max steps for hour, just having fun. It also is dependent on your stride and how that is set on fitbit. I tend to use my rebounder a lot through the day - off and on and then at night, I watch any tv shows while on it...So I can get many, many steps in on a good day in addition to my regular workout and/or walks.
I get that many steps by kickboxing on my rebounder for an hour. I rounded the number off because I always get between 10,000 and 12,000 by jogging while kickboxing on mine. I have a 49" Bellicon.

Cheryl
Old 10-02-14, 02:45 PM  
KaeLaVie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
I get that many steps by kickboxing on my rebounder for an hour. I rounded the number off because I always get between 10,000 and 12,000 by jogging while kickboxing on mine. I have a 49" Bellicon.

Cheryl
I have the 49 inch bellicon, too. LOVE it!
Old 10-02-14, 07:29 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaeLaVie View Post
I don't have children either...Though child birth increases risk for pelvic prolapse etc, it is not the only cause. Aging - menopause, reduced estrogen and even certain types of exercise. At this point, a lot of experts are touting squats as a good way to strengthen the pelvic floor. I like that - I bet that's something most of us do regularly
Thanks for the info, KaeLaVie. I love me some squats! Do they recommend a certain type of squat over others? Like I know at one time I had read that the deep yogi squats (I call them latrine squats ) were supposed to be helpful. Are all squats equal in this regard?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14, 07:50 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I have 2 rebounders. My Jump Sport is in my bedroom and whenever there is a program I want to watch on TV (that I cannot miss!) I jump on my rebounder and do freelance style jumping - whatever comes to mind - and for as long as I like, and at intensity that feels right to me. No fancy choreography - I just jump.

Generally it's a quick 30-minutes, and sometimes I use my soft, 1-lb hand weights along with it. I found that when I rebound watching TV (low-to-medium intensity jumping) I average about 100 steps per minute on my Fitbit. so, 30-minutes is about 3K steps for me. This number has been very consistent for me.

My 49" Bellicon is in my workout room, and I use it for any high-impact "real" workouts, hard cardio or for all my UR dvds.

ETA: I continue to feel "de-bloated" (read: thinner!) after rebounding, and I have a great looking complexion at least 24-48 hrs afterwards.... Go figure, but I'll take it!
Old 10-02-14, 11:30 PM  
Vantreesta

I bounced barefoot for the first time ever tonight. Always before I had problems even with shoes bc of the PF, but tonight it felt really good. Huzzah! I could feel a lot more work in my calves and feet. Hope they're not too sore tmrw.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 08:57 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

My very first video was Jump to It and that was in the early 90s. I bought a rebounder to supplement my running, and I have to say that I sweated a ton. Even though I had nothing to monitor calories burn back then, I can definitely say that it left me feeling that I had gone out for a run. So yes, depending on the workout you can definitely burn calories on a rebounder.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 09:27 AM  
raeven

Thanks for the replies ladies! I figured people probably did just bounce around..jog around and do whatever seems fun at the moment! I should really get back to mine. I know I definitely feel it when I use!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 10:25 AM  
KaeLaVie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Thanks for the info, KaeLaVie. I love me some squats! Do they recommend a certain type of squat over others? Like I know at one time I had read that the deep yogi squats (I call them latrine squats ) were supposed to be helpful. Are all squats equal in this regard?
LOL On the latrine squats! I'm still researching all of this stuff. I went into early menopause due to chemo (chemopause) so I learned (on my own and from others, NOT from my docs) that I am at risk for prolapse and that what I do now, is going to be very important. There is an online proponent re: squats (in addition to kegels) for this issue katysays.com and she has lots of videos, pointers etc. I think the main thing is slow with good form and also making sure you do calf stretches before/in addition to. I see my oncologist and gynecologist this month, so will be asking them a lot of questions, so they just better take a seat and be ready for me LOL

Tags
prolapse, rebounder friendly, rebounding, successful weight loss