Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-14, 06:57 PM  
PrairieGem

Looking for strength recs...

I am *this close* to deciding I just need a paper workout, but I'm SURE you guys know exactly the DVD I need. Although, actually, I'm open to paper recs, too! (I've done Body for Life in the past, but just want someone else to do the planning for me right now!)

In about 3 weeks, I'm starting a new, back-to-basics rotation: Running 3x/week for cardio, and strength 2x/week. I've got the running covered. I haven't had any weights in my rotation all summer, and I miss it!! (I did 3 months of alignment/recovery--Classical Stretch, etc--and 6 weeks of pure cardio.)

Most of the strength workouts in my collection are also circuits--alternating cardio intervals with strength intervals. At the moment, I don't need/want that much cardio in my week. So I'm looking for a DVD (no streaming, alas) that's basic, straightforward weights that can be done with 8s-15s (and more, if I keep it up!), around 35-50 mins long. Full body or splits is fine, but I want to be equally worked by the end of the week... and I *really* want basic, normal moves: squats, lunges, deadlifts, pushups, rows... compound moves are OK, but nothing *weird.* I recently Joni-O'd my first W/O ever--KCM's "Start Here" b/c of the weird "swimming" arm thing that goes on forever. I've looked at her weight workouts, but there are so many, and they confuse me (eg, one workout seems to work half your muscle groups, but the second one is something completely different, not the other half...?). I also have shoulder tendonitis, so I don't do much isolated biceps work, so endless curls won't work. I can modify... but I don't want to modify every move, KWIM?, or what's the point of a guided workout?

What I *really* want, is just the weights segments from Cindy's "Ten Days to a Better Body"... but alas, it's not chaptered to do that!

Ideas?

Thanks so much!
Old 10-01-14, 07:19 PM  
Tugger31

The first dvds that come to mind are Burn Sets from Cathe's XTrain. You could modify or omit the bicep section. Cathe's Pyramids which has options for shorter timesavers. I'm not sure if you were referring to just upper body with the 8's-15's or lower body as well. I do Cathe's Pyramid Lower Body with dumbells though she uses a barbell. Cathe's Pure Strength dvd. This is dated as far as workout clothing, and is a 3 day split (2 upper and 1 lower), but it is very straight forward and no nonsense. A classic IMO and for just under $20 for all 3 workouts on the same dvd you can't beat the price.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 08:28 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
- Skipped-

Most of the strength workouts in my collection are also circuits--alternating cardio intervals with strength intervals. At the moment, I don't need/want that much cardio in my week. So I'm looking for a DVD (no streaming, alas) that's basic, straightforward weights that can be done with 8s-15s (and more, if I keep it up!), around 35-50 mins long. Full body or splits is fine, but I want to be equally worked by the end of the week... and I *really* want basic, normal moves: squats, lunges, deadlifts, pushups, rows... compound moves are OK, but nothing *weird.* I recently Joni-O'd my first W/O ever--KCM's "Start Here" b/c of the weird "swimming" arm thing that goes on forever. I've looked at her weight workouts, but there are so many, and they confuse me (eg, one workout seems to work half your muscle groups, but the second one is something completely different, not the other half...?). I also have shoulder tendonitis, so I don't do much isolated biceps work, so endless curls won't work. I can modify... but I don't want to modify every move, KWIM?, or what's the point of a guided workout?

What I *really* want, is just the weights segments from Cindy's "Ten Days to a Better Body"... but alas, it's not chaptered to do that!

Ideas?

Thanks so much!
Most of my strength workouts are circuit too. I've recently tried Xtrain Fit, and I liked it a lot, it has Upper Body, Lower Body and Abs on the same Dvd, do you have/like that one? I liked that it was just strength, not "twist" to traditional exercises and the pace was good to challenge yourself, and it has all the simple moves you mentioned you want, the upper body had biceps though; and it has 3 rounds of X number of exercises, if I remember well for the LB, the first round was 12 reps, the second 8 reps and the last 4 reps. I can't remember if the Upper section was the exact same format. But, I remember liking it more that KCM Split section LB, which I still like, but as you mention there are sometimes too many "twist". I also have a hard time choosing KCM strength workouts, I like the look of them, but not sure how rotate them as she splits them weirdly for me. That's why I just have her Split Session. HTH

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 11:28 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm using Kelly Coffey-Meyer's Muscle Up Lift to Be Fit. She lifts quite heavy and does 8 reps of most of the exercises (there are some exceptions). There are two half hour sections: Chest, Back, Shoulders & Abs is one, and Lower Body & Arms is the other. There is also a 10 minute add on for additional ab work.

It contains several premixes. My favorite is the 2 set total body workout that takes about 40 minutes. It's one of the few low rep, heavier weight total body workouts that I've found.
Old 10-01-14, 11:32 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I use paper workout programs at this point but I used to LOVE KCMs 30 Minutes to Fitness Weights-this is the first of her 30MTF series. I think it is broken up into biceps/Triceps/Shoulders and legs/back/chest. You can do these with standing ab rests between the sets or light cardio rests (I think) But there are alot of premixes on it including a few total body workouts. I used to do the 38 minute full body blast workout which had two exercises for each body part and no rests. This is from memory -I haven't done it for awhile and I am too lazy to go downstairs to check right now.

I should mention that this was done before Kelly started to get "creative" with her moves so it is mostly straightforward movements.
I think this would suit your needs. If you want some paper workout ideas, I highly recommend Nia Shanks.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 11:35 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I was also going to suggest XtrainFit Toning, the one with Karen Gentz. Long thread here:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=200920

This kind of basic workout is really hard to find. I tried KCM but she uses some strange moves with too many reps for me.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14, 12:35 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
I've recently tried Xtrain Fit, and I liked it a lot, it has Upper Body, Lower Body and Abs on the same Dvd, do you have/like that one? HTH
Is this the one you mean? Xtrain Fit (right, it's not one of the Cathe Xtrains?) That price is too good to pass up!
Old 10-02-14, 03:24 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Is this the one you mean? Xtrain Fit (right, it's not one of the Cathe Xtrains?) That price is too good to pass up!
That's the one!! And here: http://www.xtrainfit.com/info/X_TrainFit_Toning you can preview it.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14, 07:22 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
If you don't want to gamble $5.88, you can even rent the individual workouts from Amazon Instant Video for $1.99.

Cathe's Xtrains can also be rented for the same price.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-14, 07:28 AM  
Chomper

I don't know how you feel about BJ Gaddour but his Bodyweight Muscle Burners are 3 30 minute workouts that work the entire body. My lower body is stronger than my upper body, so I used dumbbells for the lower body exercises, but didn't need to for upper body. You would really want a pull-up bar and equalizer or other bar or suspension trainer for inverted rows to get the most out of the workouts. I wrote a review in the review section you can check out. I went from this DVD to a Nia Shanks Bodyweight and Dumbbell Program, and noticed that they both have a lot of the same exercises. BJ's workout has you doing exercises for a certain amount of time, whereas Nia has you doing sets and reps.

I am on week 10 of the Nia Shanks program and still loving it and am stronger than I've ever been.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic strength workout