Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-10, 08:45 AM  
Inchworm

Hi,
Just an update:
I just finished taking the Prednisone that was prescribed to me. I did a workout on Tuesday, nothing that I wouldn't normally do, in fact, I left out cardio due to the breathing issue. I always do planks/pushups and stuff but my entire ribcage chest area is soooo inflamed feeling and incredibly sore and tender. Could coming off of the Prednisone be attributing to normal DOMS by making them way more intense? I did read the info from the phamacy and it did say you could have muscle weakness/pain, so since I worked out on Tuesday, could It just be a more extreme DOMS because of the prednisone?
Sorry if this sounds silly but I'm really getting tired of not feeling like my normal, active strong self.

Thanks,

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 08:53 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Kelly, I didn't realize you also had ribcage soreness. I change my answer to costochrondritis. I (and several others here) had it. Mine lasted for about 4 months after falling up the stairs, and felt like a heart attack for many of those (plus, trouble breathing). What a terrible thing, but anti-inflammatory drugs help it along its way. I would imagine a bad coughing illness could bring it on too.
Old 10-29-10, 09:10 AM  
Inchworm

Hi Sarah,

I thought I mentioned that I have a history of Costo. Maybe I didn't. Anyway, I do get flare-ups of costo and find I cannot do HEAVY chest work or weights so I love doing planks/push-ups (which sometimes aggravates). Do you think the fact that I have had excessive coughing perhaps aggravated my chest wall and brought on a lovely case of Costo? It doesn't feel like my normal costo flareup. I always get the extreme soreness and sharp pains on left lower ribcage, but that isn't so much the case this time. This time, I am feeling that although it is somewhat localized as far as my left ribcage feels sooo swollen inside and uncomfortable, but I have some pretty extreme muscle fatigue surrounding my entire chest and lats too. My upper chest above breast is tenderish. I feel like my ribcage is just totally irritated and almost twingy shakey. It's strange. Maybe it is just a really nasty flare-up and instead of being mostly localized, it's radiating? It could be a combo of the coughing fits/cold, my workouts that I love and still continued to do (although 1/2 as much while sick), some anxieity and stress in my life and the prednisone? What do you think? Should I still go see my doctor? I feel like they roll their eyes, but it is freaking scarey when you have something like this, especially when it surrounds the whole Heart area and I have severe heart disease that runs in family. I hate it when Doc's make you feel like you are over reacting.

Kelly

Last edited by Inchworm; 10-29-10 at 09:12 AM. Reason: typo
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 09:55 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Hi Kelly, it sure sounds similar to the costo- problem I had. I did see a cardiologist just to rule out a heart problem, so I recommend that just to make you feel more at ease. I would also stop working the chest until you are healed. I remember one deep set of push-ups causing me difficulty months after I healed. It's like running on a bad knee -- just makes things worse. Treat it like any other joint problem - rest, ice, Advil, etc.
Old 10-29-10, 10:43 AM  
Sophie

I'm another one with costo and my symptoms are sometimes similar to yours, Kelly, it sounds like your'e going through a particularly bad flare-up right now. For me, the combination of a flare-up plus any sort of sinus/post-nasal drip issue plus anxiety creates the perfect trifecta for uncomfortable breath. Certainly adding upper body strength work can be a contributor, and don't forget that just the act of coughing, even sniffing, works your muscles (albeit in an uncomfortable way).

I agree with everyone else of course about making sure your health professional has ruled out other pathologies, as well then trying Benagh's type of breathwork. In addition, I often find it useful to work on passive backbends, foam rolling, and any sort of ball work (yoga tune-up, frex, but Petrone, Yamuna, etc have all been helpful too) to help relax the back/chest rib cage muscles. Don't ignore the neck/trap/levator scap areas. I've also found relief from trigger point massage on sternocleidomastoid - tension there can be a factor for me in uncomfortable breath.

eta: re-read Sarah-lara's reply and I completely agree; it's muscle and connective tissue like anywhere else in the body and needs similar treatment to heal when inflamed/overworked/injured. I also agree that getting other things - particularly cardio issues - ruled out is important.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 11:00 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inchworm View Post
Lately, after getting over cold and still (sinus/semi bronchial asthma), I have to force a yawn in order to get my lungs tofill with air to breathe. I do get claustrophobic and it's hard for me to breathe comfortably on my back and let's not even talk about being in an MRI, almost unbearable! I love to exercise, and have only been able to do yoga/barre/pilates for last 2 weeks bc I want to get back into cardio gently. I've had this before, usually when stressed. Definitely don't want any meds for it, but looking for some real suggestions.
Does anyone else deal with this and how do you deal with it? I get a back drip at bottom of throat and cough a lot, but have been to doc and feel he looks at me like I'm just being silly at times. I take Zyrtec and Nasonex for this.
Are there any specific breathing exercises I could do or should I check out a medical issue? Do you think it could just be the stress AND getting over cold? I just came off of Prednisone to knock out the sinus inflamation.
Thanks,
Kelly
Kelly, talk to your doctor about Singulair. He/she might be able to give you samples. It's an asthma medication, but they use it for allergies, too. We no longer have health insurance, so I had to stop taking it. It really helped with my breathing.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-10, 05:52 PM  
videofit

Every Saturday I listen to a radio show about prolotherapy. I've been quite impressed. Any procedure that helps you avoid surgery is a good thing, in my book. Anyway, the doctor himself said a few years ago he fell down the stairs and broke two ribs. The ribs healed fine but he still had pain from soft tissue damage and developed costo. He injected himself and, while it sounds like it took longer to heal than injecting into a joint, he cured himself. So you might want to look into prolotherapy if it's really bothering you.

Tags
anxiety, asthma, breathing, costochrondritis