Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-08, 09:20 PM  
Inchworm

What is this "twingy" feeling in my outer butt cheek where dimple is? Tight hamm?

I keep getting this achey feeling or like a twine in my outer butt/ where I assume the ball and socket joint is where leg and hip bone meet. Maybe it's an area called the Psoas or something. I have been working out a lot, does it mean I'm not stretching enough? My legs in general get very tight and I have a tendency towards tight hamstrings, is it my hip flexors??
Can anyone offer a suggestion for me?

Thanks,

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 06:08 AM  
Rhonda

Hi Kelly,

Not sure but it could be a periformis injury. the only way I can get this area some relief is using a ball or foam roller and rolling it out. Stretching helps some but for me it is rolling on the ball. I can tell when I don't do this as it starts to feel sore.

Of course I am no expert so it would be nice to hear what others say.

Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 06:20 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

I'd guess piriformis or S-I joint. I have piriformis syndrome - all that means is I have a tendancy to be a tight a$$ LOL Seriously all it means is my piriformis tends to be too tight and cause pain/sciatic nerve pain. Also If I over stretch that area, I tend to get an achey hip at the joint - SI joint pain. If you google both of those it may help you determine if either sounds like the pain/twinges you're having. Or that it's something totally different My issues were both diagnosed by a Physiotherapist which is what I'd reccomend for you too.

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 06:55 AM  
Inchworm

That is exactly it! I googled. I don't want to have to stop what I'm doing since I'm getting great results. It is interesting how in some of the articles I read about this suggest that ill fitting shoes or problems with the feet can cause this too. I am waiting for my orthotics, which should be ready next week. It is amazing how imbalance in your feet can cause so many other problems. I will mention this problem to my podiatrist too.

So, those who have this problem with Piriformis Syndrome, what do you think usually brings it on for you? How long to recover? I find I just want to stretch that area and I am unable to get deeeeeep enough for relief. Can I use a tennis ball to massage the area???

Also, what exercises have you found most helpful. Unfortunately, when I googled this syndrome I get sooooo much info it's a tad overwhelming. I did find that someone described what sounded like a Lotte Berk type of hip circle where you are on your knees and lean back w/o arching back and circle your hips around. Also, I could swear they mentioned other exercises where your are strengthening the outside of the hip/saddlebag area with a band, can't remember if that is adduction or abduction. It is just so ironic because I usually do Lotte Berke/Pilates types of workouts but have lately been doing 30 day shred and muscle/cardio workouts. I usually have a hard time w/ high impact since I don't have my orthotics yet though.

So, any advice you have will be greatly appreciated. It is not the first time I've experienced this pain. I've probably had it on at least 3 to 5 other occassions. I even experienced it a bit during pregnancy, only is was a bit more Sciatica style and severe spasms.

I guess I could start by taking ibuproven. I already take it for my Costochondritis.

Thanks again for your wonderful help.

Kelly
Old 06-17-08, 08:17 AM  
Rhonda

Kelly,

I stopped doing 30 day shred because it brought my Piriformis syndrome back big time and I had to stop. I still have the workout but not sure if I will attempt it again. I am still able to walk and bike but probably will stay away from high impact stuff as that seems to aggravate for me.

I do find sometimes with strength training, lunges and squats will irritate it.

A tennis ball will work fine. It may hurt while massaging the area. I find some stretches also irritate it a bit. I printed off some stretches and that is where I found the ball massage and that seems to help quite a bit. Mine got to the point I could barely walk because it was so sore but I managed. Not it is once in a while the pain will be there.

Yes there is a ton of info on-line regarding this syndrome. I haven't found a best site yet to explore since a lot of sites, to me, say the same thing.

Rhonda
Old 06-17-08, 09:45 AM  
Rachel*Jacobs

I have the same thing I think. When I sit for a long time - like going on vacation - it will also hurt with a dull ache. I will have to try the tennis ball treatment & see if that helps. How do you do it? do you sit on the floor or chair, what works the best?
Rachel*Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 10:12 AM  
Rhonda

I sit on the floor, never tried a chair. The side I am massaging, I keep that leg a bit straight and the other leg bent. It takes some balancing and getting use to but once you get that it helps.

Hope it works for you.

Rhonda
Old 06-17-08, 02:35 PM  
Inchworm

I guess I'll have to go to an orthopedic or something. I also noticed a problem that happens sometimes where I get a popping in the joint too, depending on how I'm lifting my leg. Some standing inner thigh work, like in Slim Series is where I'll notice it. Wonder what the popping thing is???

Thanks for all your help, as usual.

Kelly

Tags
costochrondritis