Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-23, 02:10 PM  
counterclockwise

I wanted to start this week - got back from vacation Monday and a cold immediately kicked in. Booo!

Hopefully I can join you guys soon. Can’t wait!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 08:12 AM  
owltx

Did Supersets today; felt better the second time around since I knew my way around the workout. I definitely did better on the triceps band move. This one still goes by pretty quickly for me.

counterclockwise, I hope you feel better soon.

prettyinpink, I also noted the conversation on the shoulder raises. I do wonder though - should we be making that slight forward angle on all side raises? Is that more joint friendly? It's the first time I have heard her discuss it, and she has done a lot of side shoulder raises over the years. I think I will be incorporating it from now on.
Old 06-09-23, 08:22 AM  
Vantreesta

I have always heard to do lateral raises slightly forward of the body, not directly out to the side. I haven't done Super Sets or Tri Sets yet to hear Cathe's discussion on it yet. But maybe she wants to make sure we hear the message bc maybe it contributed to her shoulder issues? Just guessing here. But yeah, I always heard it was safer than directly to the side.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 09:44 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Hi to all!

I did Giant Sets for the second time today. I liked it even better except for the hip thrusts. They feel out of place for some reason with all of the set up and such short sets.

I subbed in glute bridges instead, but I think the next time I do it, I will likely do step ups instead. There is plenty of time to get the sets in on each side, and it seems like it will make me feel like my legs got more work without ignoring my glutes.

I did Mobility 2 yesterday and it was good but not great. I have some really nice mobility routines I've found over the years on Youtube and Instagram. They are less gentle, but I think I will get more out of those than the ones Cathe produced.

I am appreciating the heavy weights and slowness of the rep speed. I was concerned that I would lose some fitness going back to Cathe workouts after using Caroline Girvan almost exclusively for 6 months, but aside from what I feel is pushup neglect , I am able to use the heavier weights that I got used to with Caroline's workouts.

Hope everyone has a great weekend-Our smoke is finally gone for the most part, thank goodness! I'm jealous of the kayaking and snorkeling I'm reading about here!

Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 09:49 AM  
laurajhawk

I’m starting week 3! I did consider moving on to the upper and lower workouts, but decided to do the last week of total body. I think it’s Trisets today. After this week, I plan to take a few extra days off; I think the next phase will work better with my yoga schedule if I start on Monday, and I’m also starting to feel a bit tired. We’ll be moving furniture over the next few days- new couch and bed coming Tuesday- so that may have an effect too!

I have that Katami set and had forgotten about the foam rolling workout! I’ll have to try it. Yesterday I just did restorative yoga, and my dog walks.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 11:10 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I have always heard to do lateral raises slightly forward of the body, not directly out to the side. I haven't done Super Sets or Tri Sets yet to hear Cathe's discussion on it yet. But maybe she wants to make sure we hear the message bc maybe it contributed to her shoulder issues? Just guessing here. But yeah, I always heard it was safer than directly to the side.
Me, too. I’m not sure when I learned this, but it was a long time ago. I think I remember a discussion here at VF about people in videos doing it wrong.

I also have heard it instructed to keep elbows up and think about lifting the elbows.

The extended comments about lateral raise made me realize that with this exception and a couple of others, Cathe gives minimal instruction or form pointers in these full body workouts. I hadn’t done any of her weight workouts in a long time, so I don’t remember if that is typical for her or not.

Yesterday in addition to walking, I did Active Recovery. I liked it, but it’s so short! Today will be a shorter lower body on my own. Heavy hip thrusts, lunges, and some band work standing and floor.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 11:32 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Me, too. I’m not sure when I learned this, but it was a long time ago. I think I remember a discussion here at VF about people in videos doing it wrong.

I also have heard it instructed to keep elbows up and think about lifting the elbows.

The extended comments about lateral raise made me realize that with this exception and a couple of others, Cathe gives minimal instruction or form pointers in these full body workouts. I hadn’t done any of her weight workouts in a long time, so I don’t remember if that is typical for her or not.

Yesterday in addition to walking, I did Active Recovery. I liked it, but it’s so short! Today will be a shorter lower body on my own. Heavy hip thrusts, lunges, and some band work standing and floor.
I don't remember where I heard it either but I thought it was in workout videos. This is in no way a knock against Cathe or any other instructor, but it's one of the reasons I'm a big proponent of working out with different instructors rather than one exclusively. There are so many things to pick up and learn! My second round of PT the lady gave me exercises that I've been doing for decades but she gave me a few little form tweaks that made all the difference in the effectiveness of the exercises! And it wasn't so much that I was doing them wrong, but the tiniest things sometimes can make a huge difference!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 02:42 PM  
warriorprincess

Today I did Supersets for the second time. Since I've had 3 recovery days due to appointments and fun stuff, I felt super strong and enjoyed it much more than the first time around. Since I'm babying my rotator cuff, the talk about holding the weights slightly in front didn't bother me at all. I'm quite busy trying to find the angle that doesn't hurt since this is my hardest exercise. I find that a slight thumbs up angle helps, as well as the slightly forward arm. It also helps if I don't come all the way down and stay in the loaded zone.

I got my new 35 lb dumbbells in! Yay, but I didn't use them on this workout, so they are still waiting to be broken in.

I did Total Body Stretch afterwards. I love that spinal twist too, Pam. Such a simple movement, but it feels just right. My favorite is probably the seated torso circles. I like all the mini flows that repeat just a few times.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 03:22 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

STS 2.0 Tri Sets Total Body-Day 12!

Hello all,

I was back at it with Tri-Sets today. I like the format of this one pretty well and don't get as breathless as Super Sets. I did lower my weights with the lateral triceps exercises, this time. I do fine with presses, though. I'm just being mindful of Cathe's injury and don't want to create any further shoulder issues. I always appreciate form pointers by any instructor and don't mind a repeat hearing of it.

I warmed up today with some gentle Qi Gong (Deeper Flow) with Lee Holden. It felt wonderful to get some movement and blood flow into the body beforehand. I was a bit sore from kayaking yesterday but I was really paddling more than resting. ;-)

I'm not minding a 3rd week with Total Body workouts, at all. But, am looking forward to the Upper/Lower and Body Parts being a bit shorter in length. So, I can add on stretches without spending two hours with pre and post workouts.

counterclockwise, we'll still be here! Just take care of you and join us when you're able. Hope your cold turns out to be fairly mild!

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 04:04 PM  
TonyaK

Yesterday I did Tri Sets, which I enjoyed. I was running out of time so I had to skip the second sets in rounds 5, 6, and 7. I still felt like I got a good workout!

I am really enjoying these total body workouts. There is no exercise that I dread, which makes them so appealing!
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe sts 2.0, sts 2.0, sts 2.0 reviews