Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-07-23, 10:11 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

Yesterday:

MR All My Best Vol 1

These AMB dvds are my favorites of MR I think. This was a good one and I felt it. Haven't hit the weights recently. Well we finally got the horrible air quality. It was so murky and smoky here yesterday and still pretty murky today so I may pass on an outdoor walk.

DIANE, good job slowly getting back to your treadmill walks. Slow and steady. Oh that's too bad about the porch roof. It sounds like it needs the next level to fix it hopefully for good. I wonder if Saratoga Springs is near my friend in Chatham? I'll have to ask her when she visits next week. It sounds like a fun place.

PAT, good job with your walk and workouts.
I understand wanting to walk when the body is willing. I may wait it out a day or two to see if this dissipates. So sad.

DONNA, good workouts. I know the feeling of being off when I'm worried about my kids. The decision on the dog does make sense at this time.

BETH, good walk through the high grass.
LOL.

Have a great day everyone!!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-23, 09:11 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Yesterday featured:

~ 20 sit to stands
~ Restorative yoga class
~ 4,330 steps

I felt like driving to the beach for a stroll after yoga but the air was not breathable. I can see peeps of sun today, and it is supposed to start dissipating tomorrow.

Donna, I hope you're feeling like yourself again soon. I give you credit for getting in a good workout no matter what.

Diane, I think we were cross posting yesterday. That's too bad about the new leak. I saw photos of NYC - I figured the smoke would end up holding in all the normal pollution and smog. Very surprised the Yankees played!

Summer Breeze, the All My Bests are keepers for sure. Yeah, I don't recommend a walk today. I'm still paying for going out in it the other night and have been wearing a mask in between my car and wherever I'm going.

Good morning to Beth and anyone who visits!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-23, 09:19 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Good morning!!

Yesterday:

Fit by Mik Standing Abs with dumbell

This was a short workout but very effective.
I had planned on adding in some kettlebells later in the day but it never happened. I am definitely not going outside for a walk today. I can't believe how smoky it is outside. Even inside my eyes are very irritated. DS stopped by last night with an air purifier so hopefully that helps.

PAT, good job with the yoga. I think it was very wise to pass on the walk. I think the Yankees did cancel last night's game. The air quality is the worst it's ever been in NYC! Crazy. I can't even imagine what it must be like in the path of those wildfires.

Waves to all.

Have a great day!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-23, 09:44 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

On a side note - look at this incredible footage of Kilauea! As the ad runs a little "skip" button appears in the upper right.

https://www.wfsb.com/2023/06/07/kila...ctacular-glow/
Old 06-08-23, 09:47 AM  
amoodygirl

Good morning!

Today is another smokey day, although less so than yesterday. I’ve been following the site www.airnow.gov, which upon entering your zip code, you can look at the air quality. We’re better than yesterday but not out of the woods. So, no outdoor running for DH and no outdoor biking for me.

Today’s workout:
  • Pushups
  • Kaleigh Cohen’s Bikes & Bells – 30 minute Lower Body Circuit Training – 45 secs on, 15 off, 4 circuits of 6 exercises
  • Bad Yogi’s 15 minute Yoga flow with no hands

Pat: Please be careful walking outdoors without wearing an N95. It can really hurt your lungs. I read an article by a respiratory physician that explained the particles from this fire eat away at the tender cilia that lines our lungs. You may just have some irritation now but it can escalate to something worse. Our family that lives in NYC are either not going out or, when they do, wear a mask. It’s reminiscent of China when their air pollution was so terrible. So, please be careful. Our lungs are very delicate organs! Nevertheless, good workouts!

I was shocked the Yankees played but they cancelled last night’s game. It was so bad in NYC yesterday. Everything gets trapped between all those skyscrapers on any given day but it was off the charts yesterday. Our vet’s husband owns some racehorses and he was in Buffalo yesterday and they cancelled racing. Thankful!!!!!

New leak – As I said to Donna, I wish the damn thing would burn down!

Donna: How did your pup’s grooming go? Goldens’ hair can get very matted easily so it’s good to nip it in the bud. Still bummed about my roof but it will eventually be resolved, if I don’t burn this damn house down first! LOL – just kidding! Not worth going to prison!

Summer Breeze: I upped my treadmill walk to 3% incline and 16 minutes. So far so good. Just listening to my body.

No, Chatham is a good hour to Saratoga Springs – we’re just 15 minutes away. But if she’s ever up here, it’s so worth the visit! I ordered a soup and ½ salad yesterday, both vegan. The soup was a smoky corn chowder – so, so good. They also offer a meal delivery service which we’re considering. Their produce is all locally sourced, which is such a plus! Can’t get any fresher – right off the farm! I too love MR’s AMB – this one and the Classics dvd.

An air purifier is a good idea. We have HEPA filters in our system here but only one window is cracked open in the bedroom and any major air flow is blocked by the house next door. I did go out to get the mail and the smoke smell dissipated. Some news stations have said to expect more of this over the summer. Climate change!

Waves to Beth! Stay safe all, wear a mask outdoors if the air quality is bad but stay indoors if you can. This truly stinks!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-23, 11:31 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Let's see...in spite of not-so-great air quality DD and I walked last night. It is nice to be out walking w/ her again - once she starts her summer camp job she will not want to walk as much since she'll be outside and active all day. So, taking advantage of these walks as much as I can now. It is hard to motivate myself to go by myself - I can listen to music or a podcast, but I peter out at 30 minutes - if I walk w/ someone I can go longer. My doggie likes to walk but I keep it short and slow with her now that she is older.

Speaking of dogs, I did call the shelter and rescind my application. I am glad I did. My Golden got groomed yesterday and I can tell it was hard on her - she was stressed out and a little sore from standing so long. So I think changing up her home life at this point would be stressful to her. Plus while DD and I were walking I saw someone leash training their young dog - I did that w/ my Golden and it does take time - and it would mean less time w/ my older dog to do that. But it would also not be fair to the other dog to neglect her training. So, I think either no dog or an older/"turn-key" dog. I think a 1 year old with training needs would be too much for her and for me to balance taking care of both of them.

On a more mundane note -- today's workouts:

Senior Shape - Dance Boxing - this was fun - dancey kickboxing. It wasn't the hardest cardio workout I ever did but it was fun.

Senior Shape - 12 Minute Single Dumbbell strength training - this followed in the playlist and seemed like a good finisher to the cardio workout.

I do love Lauren's workouts.

I may squeeze in Improved Health's workout later today.

Not sure about walking - our air quality is poor from the fires. Not as bad as some places, but it is very hazy.

Sorry for the lack of personals - I got sidetracked today!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 08:09 AM  
amoodygirl

Good morning!

Finally, finally, finally rain came in yesterday and our air is at acceptable levels. I hope anyone lower down on the East Coast isn’t experiencing what the Northeast did.

Today’s workout:
  • CDorner’s Step with Abs
  • Dips
  • Yoga with Kassandra Day 21 Curiosity

I continue to add an afternoon treadmill walk to strengthen my glutes and piriformis. I am up to a 4 incline and walking 16 mins at 3 miles per hour. I'm putting emphasis on my glutes with each step and it's definitely helping!

Donna: You’re making a thoughtful decision regarding the dog. It’s a hard decision but it’s a decision that could last 10 or more years. Putting your Golden first is the right thing!

Waves to all! Hope everyone is having a great FRIYAY!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 09:27 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I think our air quality is improving as well - it was never as bad here as in NY/NJ, etc. But there was a definite haze and slight smokey smell.

I didn't get any add ons done yesterday, after work I just relaxed, read and listened to some podcasts - Jessica Valant talked about a health scare she had -which resulted in her having a brain MRI. Fortunately, her MRI was clear but during the podcast she was talking about her struggles to get the MRI read by her doctor and getting the results of it. All I can say is the medical system is in such disarray. From what I understood her results were sent to the wrong doctor in the practice, they didn't get read, then her dr was on vacation so they were not going to give her the results until after the Memorial Day weekend. Can you imagine knowing that results were sitting there and that someone could tell you what they said but wouldn't? She talked about advocating for herself and finally getting the results. But how awful - first if there was something to be concerned about you are wasting precious time and second if there was nothing to be concerned about how cruel to expect someone to just wait patiently for results - don't they realize the psychological impact that waiting has on people? Unfortunately, I have experienced the same types of things in medicine as well. I know these places are short staffed and such but just awful about how the patients are treated.

Anyway - that is my ramble for today.

Today's workout was:

Trifecta Pilates - Fun Fusion which was a nice mixed class. Some standing, some on the floor - you had the option to use a Pilates ring if you had one. I felt like I got some nice mobility and strengthening work done. I also liked that the pace was sane - so you had time to focus on what you were doing.

I have to bring my car in - the tire is low/losing air - I suspect that we got a nail in there from the roof work. I hope they can repair it and that new tires will not be necessary. I'm doing that on my lunch hour today - so I hope it is quick.

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-23, 10:28 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

TGIF ladies! Low key day here, just the necessities:

~ Crab walks
~ Mat PT
~ 3,823 steps

I was appalled at my weight at the rheumatologist's office this morning, so I've got to step up my game here. Yowza.

Diane, I am going to look into a home air filter this weekend. I didn't go anywhere yesterday the air was so bad. I have a friend in Brooklyn who shared photos of the skyline and the sky was orange! The smoky corn chowder sounds Please send me some of that rain.

Donna, sounds like you've thought out the dog situation well. I'm sure your Golden will be happier this way. I love that single dumbbell workout from Lauren and still have her Latin dance one on my to do list. That's awful about Jessica's medical mix-up, and frightening, too.

Good morning Beth and Summer Breeze!
Old 06-09-23, 09:37 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Waves to everyone! I've been following the Cathe STS 2 rotation pretty well. I did Super Sets last night. I have tried to pull in Hamelin this week, but it feels like I'm overworking my lower body. I don't see how people do it, so I'll focus on ballet/dance-type workouts on my off-weight days. It wasn't raining today, and the sun was finally out, so I walked for almost an hour.

Diane, ugh, I’m so sorry about your roof! That must be frustrating.

Pat, oh wow, about the smoke. That is incredible it’s spreading that far. I’ll have to check out Lauren's standing Pilates routine. That sounds very nice.

Summer breeze, goodness, you all are getting smoke, and we are on our 4th week of rain now. I’ll post some photos. The back of our subdivision is about 3 feet underwater. They started giving out sandbags a few nights ago. There is a part of downtown where people have had to be moved out by boats, and there are no lakes. So, lots of water. And to add to the mystery, this is an area that sadly doesn’t see much rain, so this is very atypical. And of course, to sadden the issue, most people do not carry flood insurance here.

Donna, it does sound like you’ve thought out the dog situation very well. I very much agree with you about the medical system being in such disarray. It’s a shame how much we do have to advocate for ourselves.

Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote