Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-16, 11:33 AM  
alisoncooks

Thanks for sharing what has worked for each of you. I've read each post, but I'll respond to just a few below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I also read about how a lot of ankle sprains (formerly a frequent issue for me - several times a year) and knee injuries are caused by weak glute medius muscles, because they provide a lot of lateral stability.
This might be relevant for me, especially considering my recent(ish) knee injury. Something to consider...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I've had several ankle sprains and a break or two, from extreme sports. What has helped the most for me is: spending as much time barefoot, wearing minimal shoes, and when I do wear shoes: buy the most flexible ones possible.
Well, I'm already on top of this. I am barefoot most of every day (homeschooling mom). I only wear shoes when we leave the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
When I was ice skating, I used a Bosu to increase ankle strength.
I used the Bosu a lot when doing PT for my knee. I did feel it really working my ankles, as well! The therapist told me to sub my rebounder for some of the balancing moves (ie. standing on one-leg on my rebounder to imitate that wobble the Bosu gives). I've been a bit negligent with that...may have to actually drag my rebounder out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
I have almost completed season 11 and this season has a lot of dedicated feet, ankle, and leg work. I have really been enjoying it!
I did like quite a few of the episodes I tried when I did a 2-month ETV subscription. I also really liked the foot/ankle segment from the Ultimate Stretching dvd. I'll probably buy that one some day because it made my feet feel really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Not sure if my ankles were ever weak but they are really strong now. I do a lot of walking in the sand barefoot every chance I get in the summer and I can really feel it in my ankle muscles.

Someone mentioned V-Core. I have it and use it occasionally and think it's great for strengthening the ankles.
We just got back from a week at the ocean, and I spent a lot of time walking on the beach. You're right -- it really does work those muscles (and all the others, too!)

I'll look into V-Core. It was SOOOO hard when I tried it (when it first came out).... and I was in much better shape then. I'm a little scared to give it a try now.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ankles, balance, balance work, bare feet, barre, classical stretch, classical stretch results, easy spirit shoes, strengthen ankles, v-core