Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-16, 08:48 PM  
faith458

I started Pilates reformer classes last year. I broke my ankle about 8 years ago when it rolled one time too many. My ankles have been lax too. My ankle strength has improved significantly since I started the reformer classes. I have a hard time sticking with exercise. I'll get sidetracked by illness, work, etc. I love my reformer classes! Just last week I've tried adding videos back in to up my exercise routine.

Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 10:19 PM  
desderata

I broke the very top of my foot and tore/pulled all the tendons, ligaments, muscles in that ankle years ago. For years it would just "roll" without warning, causing me to stumble, fall or sprain it again. One year I became addicted to the Pyramid Total Body premix that has a lot of toe raises. I did the first set with my toes forward, the second set with my toes angled in and the third set with my toes angled out. Within several months my ankle was much stronger and more stable.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 12:21 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

When I was ice skating, I used a Bosu to increase ankle strength.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 01:21 AM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
When I was ice skating, I used a Bosu to increase ankle strength.
Balance board and Bosu here and I still have to do it every other day. I really believe if I wore heels more they'd be strengthened, but at the cost of my feet.

Also second the yoga toes. I love my reformer and feel it helps, but balancing more so.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 07:35 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 08:16 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I've found bouncing on my rebounder barefoot has helped to strengthen my ankles quite a bit. You really feel the muscles in your feet and ankles when you bounce, although I'd recommend a soft bungee style like Jumpsport or bellicon.

Other than that, a lot of one legged work like other people mentioned. One legged deadlifts, Bulgarian split squats, tree pose in yoga, etc.
Old 08-04-16, 09:55 AM  
ardnas

PT, exercises on the balance board, and tracing alphabet every night with toes/feet. Also the Rehab Your Body at Home DVD foot & ankle segment.
Old 08-04-16, 10:45 AM  
TracyQ

Not sure if my ankles were ever weak but they are really strong now. I do a lot of walking in the sand barefoot every chance I get in the summer and I can really feel it in my ankle muscles. I also Stand Up Paddle on the open ocean which requires a lot of ankle stability. I do all my weight training and even some Plyo barefoot (Plyo barefoot is definitely not for everyone and I would caution anyone who attempts it to be extremely careful).

Someone mentioned V-Core. I have it and use it occasionally and think it's great for strengthening the ankles.

I also think being barefoot is great for the ankles and feet in general. I had PF many years ago and tried everything for it. I took a leap of faith and decided to train barefoot and I haven't had PF since. The only thing I don't do barefoot is jogging.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 02:12 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Three things:

1. Trail running
2. Doing all weight workouts barefoot
3. Bosu workouts

All of these make me use muscles in my feet that apparently don't usually get used much!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 04:39 PM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post

I also think being barefoot is great for the ankles and feet in general. I had PF many years ago and tried everything for it. I took a leap of faith and decided to train barefoot and I haven't had PF since. The only thing I don't do barefoot is jogging.
ITA. I have PF and when it was really bad and PT didn't do really any good, I went barefoot. I still have flares if I wear crappy shoes for hours or something, but it's a lot better. I think for me wearing supportive shoes all the time weakened my feet and ankles tremendously, so I undid what I was doing and it worked!

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ankles, balance, balance work, bare feet, barre, classical stretch, classical stretch results, easy spirit shoes, strengthen ankles, v-core