Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-15, 02:11 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have shoulder issues and always feel twinges when I do push-ups. So far, no problem with planks, but 2 minutes is my limit and I don't plan on doing them any longer. Agree, moderation is key.
Old 04-10-15, 02:15 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnomoon View Post
I can't wait for them to say burpees are bad for us!!!
I dream of this day .
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-15, 02:46 PM  
mamaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Oh pish. It wasn't even a study. It was one person. Who got costochondritis, an admitted very painful, injury, but just an injury. From overdoing it. And somehow an online newspaper finds a way to write a very dramatic, overstated article about one woman's experience as a "hospital outpatient." lol.

My goodness, the drama. This is what journalism is getting to these days. Clickbait headlines, breathless overstatements.
The Daily Mail is a newspaper tabloid that's been in print since 1896. However, I would definitely take their articles with a grain of salt. They tend to specialized in fear and controversy stories with dubious facts.
Old 04-10-15, 03:59 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Oh pish. It wasn't even a study. It was one person. Who got costochondritis, an admitted very painful, injury, but just an injury. From overdoing it. And somehow an online newspaper finds a way to write a very dramatic, overstated article about one woman's experience as a "hospital outpatient." lol.

My goodness, the drama. This is what journalism is getting to these days. Clickbait headlines, breathless overstatements.
True! And I believe the Daily Mail is prone to sensationalism (though many news sources are, but they are well known for it). I've seen quite a few warnings about exercise from it. MY DH's grandmother (in England) reads it and I whenever I browse her copy I get annoyed. This publication is so commonly shared on social media though.

I think any exercise can cause issues for someone. Especially is done in the extreme or in bad form.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-15, 04:55 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Costello View Post
I dream of this day .
They're very bad for my self-esteem. They're quite injurious to my pride, also.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-15, 06:30 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
And include multiple photos of her cute family in their hunter boots? haha!
I noticed this too and kept wondering what relevance all those photos had to the article!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 10:26 PM  
slinks

Can those who suffer this costochondritis tell me how it feels - l think l may get it, but not from planks, from doing crunches and bench presses, altho l bet if l did planks it would come on - l get these god awful chest pains, feels like a sticking on my left side of the chest, l can't breathe or move, the last time l got it, it lasted over 24 hours, since then no more crunches or bench presses for me - l did google it once and they said most athletics suffer from it but l don't remember seeing a diagnosed name for it .. l did go to the docs years ago but they went about it the wrong way, checking my heart, at least l got to find out that was in good nick .. lol
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 11:52 AM  
dianestjohn

RATS! I was so hoping this was a huge definitive controlled scientific study so that I could give up planks forever, along with their evil spawn, horizontal cadio...
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 05:47 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
I got a bad glute strain doing burpees. Never again!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costochrondritis, planks, unsafe exercises