Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-01-23, 07:30 AM  
cyana

Barefoot & On the Mat April 2023: Spring Will Come and So Will Happiness

Happy April - I was posting in the March thread and suddenly had an "oops" moment after realizing today is April 1st.

WELCOME!!! This is a long-running VF check-in that has had various names and various forms - we now do a monthly thread instead of weekly.

We're a friendly, supportive group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, especially those traditionally done without shoes. Join us if you enjoy yoga, Pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Callanetics - or even if you like to do things like cardio and weight lifting barefoot!

There are so many great April quotes, it was hard to choose one. I chose one from the Gratitude Blog: "Spring will come and so will happiness. Hold on. Life will get warmer."― Anita Krizzan. Here are several others that I also liked: “You can cut all the flowers, but you cannot keep Spring from coming.”― Pablo Neruda. And you know I can't forget some humor: “Spring is when you feel like whistling even with a shoe full of slush.”― Doug Larson.

This is the quote that applies today in my neck of the woods: "No rain, no flowers. " ― Haruki Murakami.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 10:05 AM  
cyana

Happy Week-end. I truly hope we're finally finished with winter, as Mother Nature has been rather naughty teasing us with some lovely warm days, only to sneak in some freezing days that really whacked some of the foliage on my shrubs not once, but twice. Fingers crossed in hopes they'll all leaf back out. I woke up to storms and torrential rain, so no market for me today. Fortunately, I tend to stock up on the essentials and DH already made a Whole Wallet run this week. On the glass half full front - hopefully the rain washed most of the yellow pollen off my black car! Yesterday was a very long and sometimes frustrating day. One thing we had to do as part of the transition was electronic file transfers, and I ran into some problems with that. I focused on the essentials and will deal with the rest on Monday. Best of all - I don't have to work this week-end.

Any Monty Python fans here? Remember The Silly Walk? I came across a story this week where researchers did testing in the lab to see if The Silly Walk could help people meet the minimum recommendation for physical activity. What a fun experiment that would've been - not sure how the participants kept from collapsing in hysterical laughter. Here are several links to the story: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele...h=43eff9022df1 or https://edition.cnn.com/videos/healt...bb-orig-nb.cnn or https://www.washingtonpost.com/welln...walk-exercise/ . I used links from different sources in case firewalls or adblockers were problematic for anyone's browser.

On a sobering note, here's a link to "Why You Cannot Find a Good Doctor" from YT from Dr. Suneel Dhand. I agree with the overwhelming majority of what he said in the 15 minute long video as someone who has been in the nursing profession for over 40 years and now literally fears the prospect of having to go to the ER, be admitted to the hospital, etc. One person who responded in the comments noted that she had been referred to a cardiologist and when she started asking questions specific to her condition, the MD said "I'm not here to discuss your options. The guidelines say I must order certain medication and specific tests." I don't have a G-rated response to that!!! Did you know that insurance and Medicare reimbursements can be negatively impacted if doctors don't follow cookie cutter guidelines, even if following those guidelines isn't in the best interest of the patient (sadly, I started learning about this angle when I spent several years working in the quality and safety program at a large hospital system, as MD's shared how they were penalized for things that were beyond their control). I wish Dr. Dhand wouldn't use terminology such as "woke-ism", as I perceive that as somewhat polarizing, even though I agree with his point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH6uVlwXGt4 . When I was a young whippersnapper, we had many of the the Dr. Marcus Welby type physicians - kind, compassionate, not afraid to push back to do what was right for the patient types of doctors. Sadly, most of them have retired. If you're fortunate enough to have a Dr. Welby - hang on to him (or her). Calling Hippocrates - can I schedule an appointment, please? I'll get off my soapbox now - I want all my friends here to ask hard questions of your treating practitioners and find someone else if you aren't getting the answers you need or if you are uncomfortable with the recommendations. I look at clinical records and claims every day - often with a heavy heart.

I'm thinking today's work-outs need to be nourishing, after such a long and busy week. Speaking of work-outs - yesterday it was me and Cubii, since I was glued to the desk.

Pat - I hope you aren't going to have severe weather in your area today. I noticed the wind was whipping at the osprey nest. I bought some new bracelets from Ethan at Merkaba Warrior and those arrived yesterday - one is lepidolite and stacks beautifully with my lavender jade and lapis bracelets (both of those were ordered from Ethan several years ago). The other is amazonite (different colored beads versus just the blue or green beads) and I've stacked it with a hematite bracelet on the other wrist. I just discovered Ethan has a YT channel with crystal meditations if you want to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJkS_L9pCz0 . He has a very pleasant voice. I love my rocks!

Pam - I'm so jealous of your TRX set up - that's wonderful that you have a secure place to anchor them. I'd be afraid of pulling large chunks of wallboard and/or ceiling down in my house! Thanks for posting those pictures.

Beth - I'm glad you survived the first week of being the Big Boss. How's your DH feeling? Hopefully continuing to improve every day - fingers crossed.

Sandra
- That unintentional hot yoga class sounded rather unpleasant - hope everyone at the gym gets instruction on how to adjust the heat should that happen again. At least when you intentionally schedule a hot yoga class you have time to pre-hydrate and get mentally prepared!

Paine - So what fun things are your grandsons up to these days?

Martha - Good suggestion on the hip focus! I keep going back to things like Eoin Finn's In Pursuit of Happy Hips type names (I used to take that DVD when I did lots of business travel and was stuck in coach airline seats for many hours).

Spring makes me think of Margot, since she had so many interesting things growing on her property. I hope she's doing well.

Waving to ALL! Have a good week-end.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs

Last edited by cyana; 04-01-23 at 01:40 PM. Reason: ETA: Removed potentially controversial question.
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 10:38 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning mat mavens!

Thanks for starting us off Cyana

I’ll be back later to post my workouts….

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 11:59 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning, and happy April from rain soaked CT. It's been pouring cats and dogs! My weekly hot golden milk and scone at the vegan cafe was twice as delicious after battling the elements to get there.

Yesterday:

~ An old Body Electric episode
~ Kassandra's Evening Yoga for Flexibility & Relaxation
~ 4,838 steps

Thank you for starting our April discussion, Cyana. I love the Anna Krizzan quote, thank you for that. [hug emoji] I'm envious of your new bracelets - the hematite and amazonite seems very healing, and now I have to visit Ethan's YT - and website - that lavender jade sounds fascinating. I unfortunately have first hand experience with the insurance industry dictating treatment - RA is notorious for it. Your rheumatologist has a checklist of meds that must be tried and failed before they escalate a patient to the next drug. Awful, old meds that cause rashes, mouth sores, potential blindness down the road. When you exhaust all those, your doc then has to fight like hell to try the effective biologics. Ugh I shouldn't go down that path.

Pam - I don't blame you for being shocked at MAID! (I had to look that up.) I never heard of it. Ack! Have you been enjoying your TRX?

I'll have to check back for the Silly Walk links and to see Martha's hip recommendations for It's Hip to be Barefoot!

Good morning to all who visit today.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 12:15 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Deleted

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-23, 12:41 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks for clarifying, Pam.
Old 04-02-23, 05:49 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

D'uh - so 2 days to realize that I wasn't getting any post updates from my Barefoot friends because it's a new month!

Will read and come back to comment...in the meantime, I filmed a new video today that's premiering right now:
https://youtu.be/N-39zna0J8o

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-23, 10:52 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Happy Moan Day, sigh! First thing I got a call from DS, "First of all I'm okay …." Mom violins start screeching in my mind …. "But I was in a four car pileup yesterday and need some advice." He got out of it alright other than having wrenched his back and waking up with sciatica. It could have been a lot worse, and his Subaru is totaled. The woman at the rear of the pileup was - wait for it - looking at her phone.

Now that my nervous breakdown is over, here's my report:

Monday:
~ Kassandra's Flexible Body, Flexible Mind challenge Day 1
~ GYM for 15 recumbent, chest press, military curls, leg presses, seated rows, tricep kickbacks and core PT
~ PT stretches for April's Hip to be Barefoot challenge
~ 6,805 steps

Tuesday:
~ K's FBFM challenge day 2
~ Jessica Valant 5 Minute Back & Hip Stretches for hips challenge
~ Walked one lap around the community track
~ GYM for 15 recumbent, pec deck, lat rows, leg curls, military press, leg extensions, lat pulldowns and upright PT
~ 6,681 steps

I'm very much enjoying Kassandra's new challenge.

Beth, I previewed your new vagus nerve routine and can't wait to try it out! Sounds like you're running the place quite efficiently.

Aw, Paine your GS must be adorable with the tooth missing. He's growing up!

Sandra, I love your Long, Aimless Walks. One of the Arnold newsletters recently described how walking outdoors is so healthy for your mind and general outlook.

Pam, your forest walk sounds nice, too.

Good morning to Cyana and anyone who visits.
Old 04-03-23, 11:12 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, I don't know about "efficient" but I try, LOL! So far so good this morning. Oh no about DS - glad he is okay! Unfortunately about his car though; that's a PITA. Hope you enjoy my practice if you try it!

Happy Monday to all as we navigate these sometimes confusing early April days.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-23, 11:21 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Jackie's Essentrics BAND class

Pat, how frightening for your son (and you too)! Thank goodness he is alive. I hope your son recovers quickly from his sciatica and sore back. It pi$$es me off when people look at their phone while driving. It is illegal here in California to use your phone while driving but people still do it.

Beth, thanks for the link to your new Restorative Yoga YouTube video--I look forward to trying it out!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote