Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-14, 03:36 PM  
deesharee

Great thread and congratulations to all of you!!!! Very inspiring!
Old 08-06-14, 04:39 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 04:49 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
I realize this is different for everybody and fear the damage i have caused to my body that it won't be so forgiving, but appreciate your honesty!!!

And i still want your secrets because you do look pretty incredible and i would not be upset in the least if i had similar results!!!
Lol! Ok.

I was very strict with myself when I started the journey, as I also started working out at the same time. I began with just Kundalini yoga and did what I could, six days a week. I used Ravi and Ana's Fat Free Yoga for the first 20 pounds then branched out from there into fusion.

I was teaching full time at the time, completing a master's on line AND going to grad classes at night for a second master's. I was also alone, in a new city in N. Va., because DH was deployed, so I was really dealing with a lot!! But actually, being that busy really helped. I was so busy, and my time so structured, I didn't have the time or inclination to cheat or stop.

I also suffered through six weeks of acute bronchitis at the same time when I started, so add that in to the mix.

When sick or simply too busy with classes or work I would skip working out; but never on my diet. I did WW at home/on line.

I honestly NEVER felt like giving up this last time; something clicked in my head and I was just that determined, no matter how long it took. I only weighed once a year but could tell I was losing since I had to keep downsizing my clothing. That was the most exciting part!!

It's been ... almost three years ... and I've kept it off! But I will say maintenance is MUCH harder than losing. Ugh! It's a daily battle, but it's worth it.

I still set goals for my fitness, such as making it through yoga teacher training, but I am pretty gentle on myself. I do what I like and that's about it. I'll be 50 next birthday and am excited.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 09:18 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I lost 45 lbs last year, so not quite in the category the original poster is talking about, but I was 56 and post menopausal at the time so I thought that might be helpful information for some. I didn't follow a specific plan, just portion control and a food journal that I was very honest about (things I have read on other threads that most people don't like to hear or do myself included, ), and walking as my exercise with body weight type bursts throughout the day, push ups, squats, kettlebell swings and some Margaret Richard or Core Fusion type strength work. My skin issues aren't too bad, more the crepey, aging kind of issues and even those are thankfully minor so far. I hope this info is helpful to some even if not the specific topic .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 12:00 PM  
PennyK

Old 08-07-14, 12:03 PM  
PennyK

Old 08-07-14, 12:12 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I can name a couple of books that helped me, but it's against the rules to talk diet specifics, so if you PM or email me I'll tell you their titles. I'll also share with anyone else who wants to know. The books are older and may be out of print, but you should be able to find them.

The one exercise book I really liked was Ultimate You by Joe Dowdell. It's similar to the New Rules of Lifting books, but it's designed for home use (until you get to the most advanced level) and the exercises are a bit easier and progress more slowly than in the NROL books. It also contains a diet plan, but I didn't follow that particular diet.
Old 08-08-14, 06:23 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I've never lost more than 20lbs, maybe?, but a few years ago I read the book Never Say Diet by Chantel Hobbs. She lost something like 200lbs. after having been overweight all her life, and she's kept it off for years. She laid out a lot of very wise, sensible suggestions. I do recall her advocating eating very frequently, of which I am not a fan, but other than that, I remember thinking it was a very sane, doable plan.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 04:29 PM  
pumptmuscle

I lost about 85 lbs a while back. One thing I definitely notice is age does have a bearing on success. It's much tougher now (today's my 45th birthday) than in my 20's. My weight has literally yo-yo'd for the past 30 years so that sure doesn't help.

I strongly suggest running and some form of resistance for optimal success. I've done a lot of different things over the years including hi intensity workouts like kettlebells, jump rope, Cathe, Ilaria, etc and I believe running is the best hands down. There seems to be something about moving forward and propelling yourself that anything (or at least most things) stationary has a hard time matching.

Having been around some of the fittest people in the country, at least running/cardio-wise, I can attest to how great running is. It also gets you outside and for some reason, I always derive more pleasure exercising outside, which is kind of ironic cause I'm a homebody who spends the vast majority of time indoors.

Of course, eating a clean diet can't be neglected. A poor diet can certainly sabotage the best weight loss efforts all by itself.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 04:39 PM  
sherry7899

Happy birthday Bob!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight loss, weight loss 75+ pounds